Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JT

For guys that can't live without hairgel

Yeah, I admit it. I'm pretty vain. Recently I started to break out a little more than I usually did and I found out it was because of this new really good hairgel I got called Crew. Anyway, after doing a little bit of research about acne on WebMD, I found out that my hairgel has two ingredients which causes irritation: Propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol. No wonder why I had more zits.. So anyway, heres a lesson for everyone who uses hairgel on a daily basis like me.

1.) Check this site on acne irritants: http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/106/26338

2.) Look at the ingredients of the hairgel that you use and see if they match any of the "irritating substances" on the WebMD site.

3.) If it is on the WebMD site, then that might be a factor in making your zits worse. #-o

4.) Post the brand of your hairgel on this topic and tell us if it has any or the irritating ingredients that are on the WebMD site. (Also add extra details like if it has a maximum or flexible hold.)

The reason why I'm doing this is because I'm trying find a hairgel that won't irritate acne. Lets hope there is one..

Anyway, I'll start.. I use Crew and Suave for men hairgel and both had things that could be irritating to acne. I'll stick with my gel for now, since I just can't imagine myself without some gel in my hair. ](*,)

my gel has no harmfull ingredients. it's called queen Helene styling gel- maximum hold. Its alcohol free too

do u guys gel your beard or soemthing tongue.gif i RARELY have probs with gel, and if i do its very small places near the scalpline .... cant even notice it. i sleep with gel in my hair to, just not on my face. make sure you dont get gel all over your face and it should affect you

my gel has no harmfull ingredients. it's called queen Helene styling gel- maximum hold. Its alcohol free too

Guest fatman_uk

No1 ever use hair putty or wax? Holds better than most gels, doesn't affect your skin (not mine anyway) an doesn't leave that shitty 'greasy look' shine all over your head.

Way better.

-Gaz

I dunno, i recently started using Crew as well, and it's a great gel, i really haven't noticed anything different with my skin. My skin's always been really oily.

Hmm, where can I find some of this gel Eburt? Is it located in the US?

Also Chris, the gel doesn't really affect the acne, but for me it kinda makes my face extra oily. (Even if I don't put gel on my face lol.)

i use aloe vera "fruit of the earth" gel, the stuff alot of people use on their faces. i find it works just as good if not better than the "made for hair" types. i got the idea from the back of the bottle.