Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
agum

Scar treatment products questions, and my methods

I found this forum while looking online for solutions for scar treatment.

I've looked around in quite many different places, forums, user reviews, etc. and come to the conclusion that I probably don't want to try laser surfacing, which gets a lot more bad comments than good. I'll also avoid dermabrasion (sp?) for now. I don't have "omg I can't go out" levels of scars but it's enough to make me uncomfortable. ;)

So I am looking to improve a bit with products you can get from retail stores. I actually tried the AcneFree Scar Erase kit for a while (a week~) which seemed to have slight changes, but I am looking for others as well. I just bought the Clearasil Ultra Scar Care kit today, after reading some posts here with some people saying it works well. Have yet to try it.

Do you guys have more info (recommendations for/against them) for these products? And what about other scar treatment products? For example the Noixia one that someone posted http://www.noixia.com/item----fb21now.html...CFREePgod_Ajylg

Or like this SkinCareRx one http://skincarerx.com/acne-scarring.html

The main scar I am trying to improve is 3 of these shallowly-indented area (maybe about 3mmx3mm in size, not exactly a square, not exactly a circle either) that's right on my cheek (on one side too). I also have a lot more other scars on my cheeks as well, like I think some are "icepicks" and some are small circles, I don't really know what they are called. However I think if I can improve on those indented area ones it will already look a lot better.

While I'm at it (just made an account and started posting), I thought I'd also share my past stories.

I started getting acne in later-half teenage years and it never really stopped since then (am 23 now). I wasn't really so active in trying to get rid of them until recently. (which explains why I got all these scars)

To be honest, I tried a lot of different products, and none really worked for me. Face wash, moisturizers, on the spot treatment, etc. I think I can safely say that Salicylic Acid (no matter in face wash, moisturizers, etc.) just doesn't do anything to me. I have tried Benzoyl Peroxide which actually seems to work to make big pimples die out more quickly, but the pimples that died from Benzoyl Peroxide seems to leave more serious scars than those that just die out naturally. Besides, this chemical seems too strong a thing for my liking, to put on my face. (if it kills bacteria that well to make pimples die out, it can't be good to the skin overall)

What worked to get rid of my acne for me was two-fold. It was both internal and external.

You know those spams that advertise some sort of miracle book that gets rid of acne? Well, they actually do have a point in terms of the concept - acne is indeed a problem coming from the inside of the body. Face wash/treatment/etc. is only fixing the outside. But of course - don't go and buy the scams. From what I know they just tell you to eat organic apples or something for 3 days straight. I found the two most important things (internal-wise) was drinking enough water daily (7 cups daily, as recommended, is ideal) and eating enough greens, leafy greens in particular (lettuce, spinach..). Leafy greens make a huge difference. When I first started eating a bowl of salad (full of lettuce) often, without any external treatment, I already had a lot fewer outbreaks/big pimples than before. I found that when I stop eating them (I am not a veggie-kind of guy), after a week or two, I get a lot of outbreaks again. So it does make a lot of difference. In addition to the veggies and water, getting enough sleep also makes a lot of difference (I know this isn't easy especially for college kids and such).

In terms of the external part, I don't know how many of you have heard of the baking soda and apple cider vinegar method. This has worked very well for me. Now I am not saying, "omg this worked for me, go try it now!!" I am just saying what worked for me. Using baking soda as a face wash to exfoliate your skin cleans up the oil on your face very well, and the apple cider vinegar works as a toner to balance the pH of your skin. I won't try to recommend this to everyone because as far as I know, you should only do this if you have very oily skin (like me). This makes people's skin very dry and if you have dry-based skin you may get cracks, etc. You could use a moisturizer I guess, but I don't have to.

You could take a look at this site, which I think is a personal blog of some guy's:

http://www.acneisdead.com/

I only found this recently, but it does talk about my methods of baking soda face wash, ACV toner, as well as water and leafy greens. It also talked about some other methods (lemon water, wild salmon, etc.) which I think is worth trying for some of you who have tried too many chemical products out there. (based on what it says about the methods that I already know, it seems pretty credible)

With the above things I do both internally and externally to fix my problem, I haven't gotten any outbreaks/big pimples for quite a while. I guess I am still considered to have active outbreaks because I know I will probably get a lot of pimples again if I stop eating leafy greens, drinking enough water; but at least I am fine now while I keep doing it. And it's not like those are medicines that I rely on - they are vegetables and water! I need to eat some every day anyway for a healthier body in general. :) (even though I don't like eating veggies) So, I am only looking for a method to improve on scars now, no longer looking for acne treatment. :)

yeah that's my site, (acneisdead)

Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

I'm actually going to expand on many of the sections as I feel that I could explain myself better / more in depth.

yeah that's my site, (acneisdead)

Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

I'm actually going to expand on many of the sections as I feel that I could explain myself better / more in depth.

Wow, didn't think I would run into the author of the site here :)

I like a lot of your methods, even ones I haven't tried, they seem to make sense to me.

Do you have any advice for scar treatments?

In terms of scar treatment, I don't have any advice. All the methods that I have listed on my site are things that I have tried.

Since I haven't done any scar treatment, I can't recommend anything in particular for that.

I did, however, see massive threads that seemed promising on this forum. Something about using a toothbrush to gently scrub.

I bet with a search you could find it...

If I was doing a scar treatment, that's the one I would try first.