Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taylor138

Want to go on accutane - please help (kind of long)

I'm a 22 y/o male with mild to moderate acne (not cystic), with severe blackheads, huge pores, and also skin which is EXTREMELY oily and sensitive. This is a major hinderance in my life and affects my different aspects of my life drastically.

Okay, so I want to start off by describing my history with this condition and where I am at now.

I began getting acne when I was 14 years old. It started off with just regular zits around my nose and cheeks. Over the next few years, I also began developing blackheads around those same areas, as well as the zits. I began using over the counter BP products and even tried salycilic (sp?) acid products and it helped keep the zits and pimples away but not the blackheads. But my skin still looked like crap. I had enlarged pores and overall, despite the fact that I had fewer pimples with the treatment i was using, my skin was still blotchy and red, looked very unsmooth due to blackheads and enlarged pores, and became dry in areas due to medication.

By the time I was around 19, my skin got even worse. The pimples and zits increased and so did the blackheads. My pores got bigger, and my skin got even more red and blotchy. The main problem I attribute this to is a sudden onslaught of extremely oily skin. I almost noticed it overnight after washing my face and noticed how greasy it felt. This is the problem I am still stuck with today. It is devistating to me. People have actually commented how bad my pores and blackheads look, and it is difficult to be close to people when they can easily see them.

So since then, I have seen about 5 different derms., and they all keep giving me the standard topical retinoids and BP and topical antibiotic products. I have tried everything from retin-a to differin to tazarac, as well as duac, plexion, azelic acit, and other topical antiobiotics. I have found that even after prolongued use, the only positive effect is that they could be smoothing out my skin. The tradeoff is that due to having extremely sensitive skin, my face is constantly inflamed and red, and using these products is hell. It feels like i'm giving myself a chemical peel and the pain lasts for about an hour. Visually, the side effects are in a way worse than the acne itself.

I had had enough, and in my final dermatologist visit, I asked and pleaded to be put on accutane to get rid of my acne, blackheads, and oily skin once and for all. Her answer was that it is only a temporary solution, and that once I end my course I will be right back where I started. So she put me on a .1% dose of tazarac AGAIN. I am now in the same hell I was in before. My face is red and inflamed, peeling like crazy, and hurts like hell whenever i have to put these products on my face. I've been on this same product before, and it did nothing, but she thinks that it is the best option for some reason.

So I have another dermatologist appointment scheduled for tomorrow with a different doctor. I'm hoping that I can get him to prescribe me accutane, as this seems to be my only option to get rid of this huge problem. I'm just wondering of any tips that can help me persuede the doctor to get me this drug. I already plan on telling him that the topical gels and creams don't work and are too harsh on my skin (my red inflamed skin should prove that to him), but I am also concerned that he will view my acne as not severe enough to warrant accutane, as I do not have cystic acne, but just a few pimples here and there.

I apologize for this being so long, but having been dealing with this for almost 10 years, I have a lot to say about it. Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

Hello, it took me 5 derms and 3 years to find one who prescribed me accutane. Just keep stressing with your doc that you've tried everything else and it's really affecting your life. If your current derm won't do it for you, move on to the next.

Since you don't have cystic acne, perhaps antibiotics would do the trick. You didn't mention anything about ever trying those in your post. Maybe you have, but if not it may be worth a shot. Doxycycline or Monocycline might work for you. Good luck.

Her answer was that it is only a temporary solution, and that once I end my course I will be right back where I started.

wow, how is your doctor a dermatologist, accutane is in many cases a permanent solution. and if the acne does come back you probably won't be back where you started, your acne will probably be much more mild. hopefully this next derm knows what s/he's talking about.

Good luck.

I guess i got lucky and got a really good derm , I've only been to one derm (well two, but one was years ago for a non acne related rash) i went through 6-8 months of antibiotics/topicals, which actually did help with the cysts but i was still breaking out. then my derm asked me if I wanted to use accutane.

but I am also concerned that he will view my acne as not severe enough to warrant accutane, as I do not have cystic acne, but just a few pimples here and there.

my acne wasn't cystic when i started accutane. I did have cystic acne when my derm started treating me but by the time she put me on accutane my cysts had cleared up from the antibiotics, i was only breaking out with papules, pustules, and blackheads.

I was in a very similar situation to yours six months ago. Try to be as thorough and reasonable as you can to make a convincing case. In my initial appointment with the derm I explained that I wanted to try accutane because - and then explained my history of acne since junior high, trying bp, salicyclic, antibiotics, topical retinoids, etc, and their failure. Make sure to explicitly state that you have tried other commonly available treatments and their failure to cure your acne. Best of luck.

awww dude that seriously sux, maybe you could do i what i did...i started crying lol however i didnt intend on doing this i just fully lost it coz thats how much my skins got me down. I cant really rmember much of my derm visit coz i was fully out of it...lucky my mum was there lol but somewhere in there i asked if he could put me on Roaccutane and he was all for it. Good Luck! let us know how everything goes!!! XxOoxX!!!

Thanks everyone =)

I had my appointment on Thursday and he said yes! I was actually a little surprised how easy it was to convince him. But he did give me a lot of information and warnings so I feel confident that this is a good thing to do. I basically just told him how the topical stuff wasn't working and just irritated my face. I'm glad he didn't try to force me onto another topical drug like all of the other ones - it was always so discouraging having to put that crap on your face and waiting for it to work and it never does. Now, I can finally have hope that I will get rid of this.

I just have to get some blood tests done then return in a week and i should get my prescription. Also, my insurance covers it ($10.00 for generic :D ) so that helps a lot.

Thanks everyone =)

I had my appointment on Thursday and he said yes! I was actually a little surprised how easy it was to convince him. But he did give me a lot of information and warnings so I feel confident that this is a good thing to do. I basically just told him how the topical stuff wasn't working and just irritated my face. I'm glad he didn't try to force me onto another topical drug like all of the other ones - it was always so discouraging having to put that crap on your face and waiting for it to work and it never does. Now, I can finally have hope that I will get rid of this.

I just have to get some blood tests done then return in a week and i should get my prescription. Also, my insurance covers it ($10.00 for generic :D ) so that helps a lot.

Yeah, you! :clap:

Good luck.

Platinum

Hmmm, my plan was to threaten my doctor. I'm going to tell him if he doesn't prescribe me accutane, I'll just go to every doctor in this city until I find one that prescribes me it. He'll cave.

I don't see why it matters, he gets paid when he writes the prescription, why can't you just go to the doctor and tell him what you want? Kind of like a legal drug dealer :) jk

Haha, I don't know if that will work. But i'm sure you can find a doctor that will do it for you. My acne is not severe at all, and some people are shocked to hear i'm going on accutane. I've never had a cyst in my life, just occasional small pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads galore. Not to mention I have probably the most oil prone skin i've ever seen in my life.

Haha, I don't know if that will work. But i'm sure you can find a doctor that will do it for you. My acne is not severe at all, and some people are shocked to hear i'm going on accutane. I've never had a cyst in my life, just occasional small pimples, whiteheads, and blackheads galore. Not to mention I have probably the most oil prone skin i've ever seen in my life.

Good luck! I've had persistent acne for 20 years. It was my derm that convinced me to try accutane, not the other way around. I finally decided I was tired of taking daily antibiotics, using tons of topicals, and still having mild/moderate break outs.

I'm on week 10, and so far, the side effects have been very manageable. In the end, I'll probably wish I did this 10 years ago!

I'm a 22 y/o male with mild to moderate acne (not cystic), with severe blackheads, huge pores, and also skin which is EXTREMELY oily and sensitive. This is a major hinderance in my life and affects my different aspects of my life drastically

I'm just wondering of any tips that can help me persuede the doctor to get me this drug. I already plan on telling him that the topical gels and creams don't work and are too harsh on my skin (my red inflamed skin should prove that to him), but I am also concerned that he will view my acne as not severe enough to warrant accutane, as I do not have cystic acne, but just a few pimples here and there.

I apologize for this being so long, but having been dealing with this for almost 10 years, I have a lot to say about it. Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

I know that your problem is already solved, but for others in the same boat (as am I!). If you read the published isotretinoin (e.g. accutane and others) literature - on the web, at the pharm. websites, etc. etc. I'm talking legitimate information. You will find that non-severe acne that is persistent and not responsive to other therapies, or is causing life difficulties - all this IS an indication for accutane. If your doctor seems reluctant, arm yourselves with this information - get it from legitimate web sites - and use it to convince him/her. Ask for it specifically, do not beat around the bush. After that, DO NOT HESITATE to find another doctor that will prescribe it for you. In my experience, some doctors really use it routinely and some are very reluctant to use it.