Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
colorcoded

Birth Control

I hear the Birth Control used to treat acne the most is Yasmin... and I hear it works the best. I was on Yasmin for month and in that time, my skin seemed to already start clearing up for sure... but I had to quit due to the expense (I have no insurance) and Yasmin gave me headaches everyday and bad moodswings lol.

yes.... booooooooo to hormonal birth control!

not only are the side effects not worth it, but it can have long term bad effects too!

I was on Yasmin for about three or four months, and it cleared up my skin at first but then started to create little tiny under the skin blackheads and whiteheads. When I forgot to take my pills for a couple of days and when I went off of it completely, the whiteheads disappeared. So I'm positive that it was from Yasmin. I don't know if all birth control pills would have that same effect on me, though...

its different for everyone. Yasmin is the one mostly prescribed for acne. Ive been on many different birth controls in the past couple years and Yasmin is the one that seemed to help. (i wasnt taking the others for acne so thats probably why). I havent had any side effects from Yasmin, and ive been on it for about 5 or 6 months now. ask your derm and you can try it, you'll know right away if its gonna mess with your body too much. Also, there arent long term effects with every type of birth control. There CAN be, but its not something to worry about unless you have other medical issues that the bc pamphlet covers.

i love Diane 35. i've been on it for like 10 years! (i started it for my irregular periods...15 days long!) i originally took ortho-tricyclen but that sucked for me so i switched and it works great! I've had no side effects

Outside of the US - Diane35/Dianette. Inside US - Yasmin and Yaz both have a unique anti-androgenic progesterone, making them the next big thing in BC for acne.

not only are the side effects not worth it, but it can have long term bad effects too!

Outside of the US - Diane35/Dianette. Inside US - Yasmin and Yaz both have a unique anti-androgenic progesterone, making them the next big thing in BC for acne.

Just because you had some bad luck or whatever with hormonal birth control doesn't meant that everyone else does or that it is bad in general. Particularly with women with PCOS tendencies it can be invaluable for correcting hormonal inbalances. I don't have a problem with people stating their own experience, but to act like your experience is universal (which you seem to do in many threads about birth control) is doing a disservice to the original poster.

Just like to say i agree with wat you say :)

Yasmin, so far anyway, has caused me no problems, of course its less than a week so only time will tell lol.

It just annoys me that people keep dissing BCP, they do a lot of good and actually have help benefits!

Im pretty sure i have PCOS, just waitin on test results to confirm, so im sure it will be a huge help to me.

Finallymejess should offer advice and try not to be soo negative like you say, if it wasnt for people on the org i wouldnt have had a clue wat BCP to get, luckily i got advice from everyone :D tanx guys :wub:! all people have diff experience, so give it a shot!

I think you should try Yasmin, ive heard a lot of good things about it!

Its actually kinda funny you diss BCP soo much ..yet ur on accutane.....but then again i forgot it has soo many "health benefits ;) "

I will continue to voice my opinion about how horrible and dangerous that hormonal birth control is, since it IS.

If birth control works for you, consider yourself lucky. I am not doing a disservice at ALL.

There is alternatives, and they should be considered before throwing yourself on the crap that most women in north america are completly hooked on because they don't know any better.

SURVEY on hormonal birth control

read it, if you insist on trying to make me feel bad about discouraging people from HBC. This doesn't include the stories that go along with it. I can't even read them anymore, they are too sad.

I myself haven't had a bad experience on birth control, considering what I've seen and read others go through. I only was sick for a month after taking them for a week, at least my whole life wasn't ruined.

If someone has a real hormonal imbalance, fine, get it diagnosed by a doctor and have them pick the correct pill with the right hormones to help. Going on some random pill that someone told you will clear your acne is a dangerous gamble. I'm trying to be the voice of reason.

I myself haven't had a bad experience on birth control, considering what I've seen and read others go through.

Oh, so you're just completely talking out of your ass? Good to know.

yeah, I was only bed ridden for a month and had to go to the hospital about 10 times. This was light if I compare.

Your insulting what I and countless others have gone through. don't be so fucking ignorant.

What the hell, you said you didn't have a bad experience on birth control, now it put you in the hospital 10 times? Make up your mind.

And by the way, your "survey" is skewed from the start because it originates on the internet on a woman's health site where women go to complain about birth control side effects, so of course most of the people that answer the survey there had issues. Women who don't have issues don't go looking for message boards to complain about their side effects. There is a reason that the concept of double blind studies exist, and it's to prevent that kind of skewing of results. In addition, that's for birth control in general and fails to deal with the fact that different brands have different hormones which effect different women in different ways. Just because one brand doesn't agree with a woman doesn't mean that all brands will act the same way. In other words, the side effects rate according to this "survey" is artifically inflated in a variety of ways.

And you seem to be missing the entire point which is that birth control prescribed for acne is to treat a hormonal imbalance. Using non-hormonal birth control is not going to help that issue.

I myself haven't had a bad experience on birth control, considering what I've seen and read others go through.

Oh, so you're just completely talking out of your ass? Good to know.

yeah, I was only bed ridden for a month and had to go to the hospital about 10 times. This was light if I compare.

Your insulting what I and countless others have gone through. don't be so fucking ignorant.

Can you post some statistics? unless you're a heavy smoker or at risk for cancer usually in people under the age of 30 serious side effects are rare. I'd like to see some of the demographics that make this such an epidemic of mis-informed and potentially ill women. Your side effect sounds very extreme and highly uncommon in my experience.

I've read the survey you posted but its not a medical one showing any studies, its just a person site compiled by anyone with no journal sources to back up the claims.

What the hell, you said you didn't have a bad experience on birth control, now it put you in the hospital 10 times? Make up your mind.

actually read my post. gah.

(hint, I said I was sick for a month, you just chose not to see it?)

Going on some random pill that someone told you will clear your acne is a dangerous gamble.

Yasmin is not some random pill. It has hard evidence supporting it's use for acne.

I only was sick for a month after taking them for a week, at least my whole life wasn't ruined.

And i apologize, i missed this line the first time. But the rest of my comments stand.

And you seem to be missing the entire point which is that birth control prescribed for acne is to treat a hormonal imbalance.

poster didn't say she has a hormonal imbalance, she asked what birth control to use for acne.

my comments still stand too. big deal, we have different opinions, you just have a problem with mine so now I can't voice them? too bad.

as for the other question, I was 16 when I got sick from the pill. I was stupid and tried again when I was 18, only took three days before getting sick for three days. Tried again with diane 35 since my doctor explained it was different in the way it worked..... turns out it's just different scary stuff.... since if I ever came off it my acne would come back, probably worse. no thanks.

I never said you can't voice your opinion. In fact, i said quite the opposite.

I don't have a problem with people stating their own experience, but to act like your experience is universal (which you seem to do in many threads about birth control) is doing a disservice to the original poster.

It seems that Jess had a bad experience with hormonal birth control and its reaction in her body. The number of women who have such severe reactions is probably quite low and while I can appreciate your situation and how awful it must have been for you, every woman is different.

Coming into each BCP thread with the same message is your choice, but you often go a bit overboard with the heavy handedness, which doesn't help your case at all. It also doesn't really help the OP, since you say how sorry you feel for them and how awful their decision was. That's not very supportive and not a great way to convince people that you are correct.

There comes a point where people have to accept responsibility for their health. Anyone taking a medication should read up on the side effects and be aware of the results it can have on your body. I understand and have accepted the risks and side effects of my medications. I might take actions to find medications with fewer side effects, if I felt that the negatives of the side effects merited such actions.

The survey that you linked to is ridiculous. It is not a random sample and likely not statistically significant. It does not serve to support your argument and in fact reduces your credibility.

I do not mean this as an attack, and my apologies if it is taken as such. You seem to have a lot of good posts that aren't about BCPs, but given the "Hormones are EVIL!!!" shtick I see in each BCP thread, it made me subconsciously discount you and think that was all you're about. I see now that it's not; you may want to reconsider tweaking your approach to one that is not so harsh. You may get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Interesting. Jess, I PMed you.

Personally, from being on Tri-Cyclen, Cyclen, Alesse and Diane-35 specifically for acne. They all sapped my libido which was my biggest complaint-crazy mood swings, but crystal-clear skin!

While it is uncommon, it isn't unheard of. I also get seriously screwed up by most hormonal birth control. I've also been in the hospital 3x due to difficulty breathing, sensitivity to light, feelings of weakness, intense fatigue, constant feeling of dehydration, even though I was drinking tons (literally, like a gallon a day) of water. The only thing that hasn't messed me up long term (neurologically or whatever it was) has been Nuvaring, because it's more localized/less hormones or something. Even ortho tri cyclen lo can make someone feel horrible and like they're dying. I've also noticed that vitamins are big too...I felt like crap the first time I had Nuvaring in, and then started taking a multi vitamin and haven't had such bad effects.

For some people: Hormones ARE evil, because they make us feel like we're horribly sick. Out of curiousity, Jess do you take medication of any sort regularly? (aka ibuprofen, tylenol, etc) I never have consistently put any medications into my body (childhood on up, my mom was very big on homeopathy). I was wondering if that's why I'm so sensitive.

For other people: Hormonal bc is wonderful and clears their skin, prevents pregnancy, regulates hormones, shortens cycle and lessens cramping, etc.

I think what Jess is trying to say is that synthetic hormones, while they mimic our natural ones, are NOT natural. They are generally not good for you, nor is any other medication, really...unless you have a serious problem (HIV, cancer, diabetes, etc) where you need medicine to live, I don't think it's a good idea to put chemicals and stuff into our bodies. Same thing goes with preservatives in food. Sure, it won't hurt you right away but it COULD have bad long term effects (aspartame, MSG, sodium benzoate, etc). If it was made in a lab, it's probably not what your body is meant to ingest.

We all know hormonal birth control has side effects, as do all drugs. However, keep in mind that a doctor has to prescribe them. That doctor is going to have your full medical history. They are going to give you a physical, check your breasts for lumps, give you a pelvic exam, feel your ovaries, Pap test you and ask of your family history (paying special attention to anything that might predispose you to birth control sensitivity). It is the doctor, using their medical knowledge, experience and the multiple studies done on birth control, that is going to decide if you are a candidate for the birth control pill.

Nobody walks into the doctors office and says "Give me Yasmin" and the doctor just does as you say. They are willing to let you try something if your body and history tell them it will be okay, but the decision is ultimately up to the doc.

It is awesome that we can come on here and talk about what has helped/not helped our acne. Just because some people have side effects (some even have horrible side effects) doesn't make it a smart and viable choice for others.

well, most places hand out birth control like it's candy. planned parenthood and student health centers don't do anything but give you a pregnancy test, if even that. it is pretty easy to get bc.

Personally, from being on Tri-Cyclen, Cyclen, Alesse and Diane-35 specifically for acne. They all sapped my libido which was my biggest complaint-crazy mood swings, but crystal-clear skin!

You may not be aware, but Yasmin actually has a study supporting it in the libido department - it doesn't depress the libido any more than a placebo due to it's unique progesterone. I tried Estrostep before Yasmin and ended up calling my gyn to switch me to something else because Estrostep gave me a completely flat libido. After switching to Yasmin it came back within a few weeks.