Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dog20

Are these the same thing??

IPB Image

i know 1 is a cream and the other is a gel, also different %s.. but are they basically the same?

here my dilemma:

i used the "big tube" and it did nothing for my active acne. then i was persrcibed differin by a another derm. that also did nothing for active acne. so i went off of differin. now he told me that the differin was supposed to help my red marks (i still got pimples while on the 2 stuff but it wasnt bad, i went off of it and it was the same). so i told him i went off of the differin cause i didnt think it did anything and then i told him that tretinoin is covered by my insurance by differin isnt. so he prescribed me the "little tube". are they the same thing? im afraid to try the little one because i know 'Michael Jackson (member here)' hates that stuff.

i pretty sure they are the same. retin-a micro is tretinoin but i think that retin-a micro is more gentle on your skin. i think it's easier to adapt to.

i'm using retin-a micro 0.1% right now and it's working out great. it will make you break out during the first month though but i hear the results are worth it (i'm on my 6th week). try the retin-a micro.. hopefully it works but different people yield different results.

good luck!

they are both tretinoin, one is a higher concentration than the other. I used retin A and liked it, it worked well.

i stopped retinoids for many months now and everything was good. unfortunately i had a small break out but other then that my acne was pretty much gone (maybe 1 pimple a week). the guy said it would help my red marks though. god, i hope i dont break out from this..... i never broke out when i used differin, or tretinoin (the big tube in pic).

They are technically the same active ingredient. The main difference is the concentrations. The big 'big picture' difference between the 'regular one' and the micro is the delivery system on the drug. The micro releases the drug over a longer period of time and as such, the side effects tend to be lessened. Additionally, if you have oily skin, the micro tends to work better than the cream (creams are traditionally used for dry skin types).

Regardless of which one you use, use them sparingly!!

They are technically the same active ingredient. The main difference is the concentrations. The big 'big picture' difference between the 'regular one' and the micro is the delivery system on the drug. The micro releases the drug over a longer period of time and as such, the side effects tend to be lessened. Additionally, if you have oily skin, the micro tends to work better than the cream (creams are traditionally used for dry skin types).

Regardless of which one you use, use them sparingly!!

do you mean use less everyday or use it every other day?

Both! I often would run into patients at the pharmacy who would try to go full force, add extra (thinking that if a little is good, more is better), and do it in the morning too. This would lead to irritation, redness, flushing, etc.

Now, you're still probably going to get a lot of this if you use it as directed, but I've found that easing into this drug helps.

Start by using it every other night. Only use a pea-sized amount for the whole face! Put the pea-sized amount onto your finger in your left hand. Dab your right finger lightly and splotch it on your face (aviod eyes, ears, inside of nose, mouth). Then, VERY lightly rub it along your face. I've checked out dan's CSR video on this home page and I love it. Watch how he puts on the cleanser and moisturizer and follow that technique for application (remember, just a pea-sized amount though). Even if it feels like it's not getting all over your face, do not add any more to your face.

Also, be sure to use it at night. Sunlight (and UV light) in general breakdown this drug and cause it to be less effective. That, and it's more irritating to the skin - so be sure to put it on at night.

If you use benzoyl peroxide, use the BP during the day. BP oxidizes the drug and will also cause it to not be as effective.

Both! I often would run into patients at the pharmacy who would try to go full force, add extra (thinking that if a little is good, more is better), and do it in the morning too. This would lead to irritation, redness, flushing, etc.

Now, you're still probably going to get a lot of this if you use it as directed, but I've found that easing into this drug helps.

Start by using it every other night. Only use a pea-sized amount for the whole face! Put the pea-sized amount onto your finger in your left hand. Dab your right finger lightly and splotch it on your face (aviod eyes, ears, inside of nose, mouth). Then, VERY lightly rub it along your face. I've checked out dan's CSR video on this home page and I love it. Watch how he puts on the cleanser and moisturizer and follow that technique for application (remember, just a pea-sized amount though). Even if it feels like it's not getting all over your face, do not add any more to your face.

Also, be sure to use it at night. Sunlight (and UV light) in general breakdown this drug and cause it to be less effective. That, and it's more irritating to the skin - so be sure to put it on at night.

If you use benzoyl peroxide, use the BP during the day. BP oxidizes the drug and will also cause it to not be as effective.

when should i switch to using it everyday?

It's a judgement call. I would say go about 2 weeks at every other day then go up to once daily. At minimun, wait one week. Continue to moisturize throughout.

It's a judgement call. I would say go about 2 weeks at every other day then go up to once daily. At minimun, wait one week. Continue to moisturize throughout.

hmmm do you think i need a moistruizer, this is what i use:

morning :

glycolic cleanser

vitamin c serum

later afternoon:

vitamin c serum

im not in sun much at all, just for a few min (or less)

night:

glycolic cleanser

retin-a (every other day)

i think the vitamin c serum would act like a moisturizer?

Guest Michael Jackson

i hate retin a, not retin a micro