Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adam b

More than 2 face washes/day

I always wash my face when I wake up and go to bed (in addition to applying BP and Neutrogena moisturizer). Usually when I return home from work I feel greasy and dirty, and so I wash my face then too.

I understand that according to the CSR you should only wash twice per day. Is it really a bad thing to do more than this given that I'm washing with a very gental cleanser and moisturizing afterwards? If I go to the gym or work out then I wash an additional time as well. Are all of these washings OK?

Overwashing can cause dryness, which causes you to produce more oil, and the vicious cycle continues. If you're moisturizing after washing, that would hopefully curb the dryness, but my concern with it would be you'd also be washing off the bp, which is the part of the regimen that's the most important, assuming that your goal is in fact to eliminate acne. The bp is supposed to be on your face at all times in order to be effective. Dan has some info out there somewhere about what to do if you excercise/work-out/swim, etc.

im the same way. i have to wash my face after i get off work because it gets disgusting. i find my face actually stays clearer when i wash my face a 3rd time, just dont apply more bp.

I think its different for people with really oily skin. most people on here have dryer skin types from what i read. but i feel if i dont wash a 3rd time im just leaving tons of dirt and oil on my face to clog my pores.

You know, I've heard people speak of the virtues of only washing twice-a-day -- it causes the skin to produce more oil, leads to further irritation, etc. Honestly, I think it's crap.

I've always been fortunate to avoid sustained periods of acne, but what KILLED me is the persistent reoccurence of oil. I tried moisturizer, SA, BP, exofoliants; nothing ever seemed to work. It was almost a cruel joke -- moisturizer would prevent redness but make me break out; SA/BP would dry out skin and irritate, exfoiliants would cause breakouts and redness.

I thought to myself over the summer, through the evolution of mankind, there wasn't all these products available. So how did people treat acne, or oily faces? It had to be naturally resolved. You can go into explaining past diets, and I'd certaintly agree it's an issue, but not one I was interesting in researching.

Another thought which occured was this consensus across dermatologists of not washing more than twice a day. Well, how do people who continually swim in a pool or the ocean compensate for this? We're talking about hundred upon hundreds of unintentional face washings through the course of one day. You'd think anyone prone to acne would have a breakout, regardless of salt or chlorine elements.

Those two factors, swimmers and the human past, led me to merely rely on water. I first wash my hands, then use water to wash my face. However, I'll gently scrub away dirt/oil in the morning and before going to bed. During the day, I simply wash whenever oil is present. At school it's a little difficult, but there's an isolated area of campus I typically went to twice/day for such purposes. Even though oil has dramatically lessened, I usually wash atleast one time at school since I'm in the city,

What happened as a result of washing whenever oil was present was a dramatic change in my appearance. Blackheads disappeared on my nose; irritation subsided. Presense of flakes -- a characteristic of using medication such as BP/SA -- faded

My purpose of browsing today was merely to tell others of my experience. Since this thread was created, I decided to hop on. Seriously, what can you lose? Just wash water only whenever oil is present for one month. Control yourself from jumping on OTC solutions (it may be tough) if results aren't immediate.

I wash 3 times aday, dirt builds up on your skin during a working day which needs removing or its just getting into your skin all evening....

yep. The bottom line is, people with really oily skin are an exception in the regimen. wash 3 times a day and you WILL be clearer. Oil attracts all kinds of dirt and shit that you do not want on your face. so to leave that on your skin and not cleanse it off is obsurd.