Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

I need some encouragement..........

Guest ThereIsHope

My two older sisters went on accutane about 8 years ago. I was only about 9 or 10 then so I don't remember much, other than them clearing up. I'm going on accutane (40mgs) in a couple of weeks because i've tried EVERYTHING else and I'm just sick of it. My acne was cystic at one point too. (during a really stressful time in my life) I am so excited about going on tane I literally dance around the house everyday.

Sooo.....I called up my sisters to tell them the good news about me going on tane, and I thought they were going to be happy for me but instead they tried to talk me out of it!!

My oldest sister has turned into a organic health NUT (think of the people on the diet-holistic board times 100..ugh) and she kept telling me how HORRIBLE accutane is for your body and how you can cure acne in other ways from the inside out blah blah blah. I told her i've tried all her holistic cures (which I have) and NONE of them worked. Not even a bit. Eventually I calmed her down and she's a wee bit more accepting of me being on tane since I told her how much it is affecting me emotionally. She's still doesnt want me to go on it though...

My second oldest sister flipped out even worse. While she was on tane she had a horrible break-up with her long term boyfriend and she INSISTS tane made her more depressed than she should have been. (wtf??) She kept going on and on about how it will "dry up your system forever" and make you "suicidal" and crap.I told her that I need to do this, and that my acne is MUCH worse than theirs was (its true, mine is wwaayy worse than theirs ever was) and this is just the thing I need to do.

I DONT UNDERSTAND!! I thought they would be happy for me! They both cleared up on it! Not permanetely, they still break out around their periods but its very mild now. My oldest sis was going to do a second course of it until she became a health nut. And I KNOW I wont become suicidal! I don't even have a boyfriend to break up with! I'm a very happy person by nature!

Uggh......sorry for the rant. This just got me really down because I can't tell you how happy I am about going on tane and the fact that they not only scared me with the side affects but also just wont give me much support on this. :(

Have you expressed these feelings to them as you wrote them here? It sounds like they are your big sisters and they want to protect you from what is in fact a very serious drug, but that perhaps their ideas of the dangers are a bit skewed.

I would tell them that i have decided to take it just as they once did and that i would appreciate it if they would support me instead of tearing me down. If that doesn't work, just ignore them.

you'll be fine.....

sorry to hear your sisters don't want seem to want you to be happy :(

I know it's not much, but we are here for you!

awww gurl im soo soory to hear that! it must be hard... I'll be starting my roaccutane in a day or twos time and i've had people say they rekon its crazy for me to be going on it aswel. But the way i see it is that they arnt the ones who have to live with acne as badly as we do and for people who have clear skin....well they just dont know what its like full stop. So i say good on ya and follow your heart with what you think is the best thing to do ! good luck! ;) XxOoxX!

Just go for it. It's very easy to be anti-accutane when you aren't suffering with acne yourself. For proof, just take a look at the pious, vegan, evian-sucking hippy types over on the hokum"Diet and Hollistic" forum.

You kind of have to take accutane a bit blindly. By that I mean, you have no clue what your side effects will be, what kind of IB you will have, if it will clear you up, etc. Its different for everyone. So, if your sisters are saying it will dry you up, make you suicidal, and everything else, how credible are they? They can't possibly say it will make you suicidal when they weren't. Of course its depressing to have a bad IB when you have a boyfriend, or even not. IB's are depressing. But you know what?? Its probably the last bad breakout of your life! You don't need your sisters on this one (it would be nice though if they were supportive). I think you made a really good decision about going on tane and don't let anyone make you think otherwise.