Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swift-Callum

Callum's Accutane Journal.

Hey everyone. I've been looking at this board for the past week and have to say it's been pretty schweet hearing about others' experiences. Well I'm 20 and have had acne since I was 13 which is a bit poo, but it hasnt really affected me perhaps as much as it would others. It's mild to moderate and always leaves red scars on my face and neck which looks pretty pleugh. :wacko: I try not to let it hinder my life, but sometimes I just wonder if my life would be better without it! :dance:

I went to the dermatologist when I was 16 and he put me on Minocylin (spelling?) and Benzoyl Peroxide for a few months but it didn't seem to help. The derm concluded that I must have had a allergic reaction to it because my skin shedded like crazy (more than what it should have) and wasnt very appetising! :razz:

But then it seemed to clear up a bit for the next two years (horray!) with only a few spots here and there...but it returned again...with a vengence! So I met with my derm again and he put me on another antibiotic which didnt do much use. He then considered Roaccutane (I'm in the UK, its the same as Accutane) and let me think and read more into it. I decided to wait a few months until the summer was over (because of the whole sun sensitive face thing)...and so here I am. Last Wednesday (09/27/06) he started me on 35mg (I weigh 150lb/68kg) to take in the morning. I will be on this low dosage for 3 weeks and will then head for another blood test and checkup.

I've just finished my first week and already feel the burn of the drug! My lips are nice and dry as expected and my face is flakey flakey flakey. I had a very minor nose bleed. Actually it couldnt really be called a nose bleed. I stuck a tissue up my nose and it came out red!! That was the main of it.

I'm really happy I'm on Accutane and feel its going to be an exciting journey. I've finished school and Im only working at the moment so I have nothing better to do. This is occupy me I suppose!

I will try and get some pictures up of me up later, one week into Accutane. I'm waiting on my camera batteries charging!

I'll be sure to read up on all those other active journals on the site.

Keep her handy now!

Callum. :D

hey man, i am starting accutane next friday. good luck with it. I am being put on 40mgs so i wanna hear how yours goes for you cause your dosage is close to mine.

Ok, so I've already summed up my first week. I go straight into day 8 now.

Day 8

My good ol' lips are still really dry. Though they haven't managed to crack or bleed yet, cause I've been protecting them like crazy! First sign of dryness I apply balm. Makes me look like a right ponce but I dont care! It works!!

My skin hasn't been too bad today. The only thing weird was that I got pretty tired at one point and couldn't be arsed to do much (I work in a coffee shop so that ain't usually a good mood to be in!). Whether that was to do with the drug, I dunno. Anyway, I got over it and feel great now! People have been worried about depression issues, but I think it's having the opposite effect on me! I feel a lot more confident content (perhaps its to do with Accutane, perhaps not :rolleyes: ). I still happy enough with the drug and can't wait till I've finished. I noticed little chage in my skin, except a few more spots, probably my IB. But...its all goooooood! :D

I went and bought some products that I read about from other logs and journals and they work great: -

St Ives Exfoliant Scrub - Use while in the shower. Keeps face clean.

Aloe Vera Lotion - Use after St Ives Scrub. Keeps skin moisturised.

Cetaphil - I use this in the evening. Cleans and moisturises.

Vitamin E - Its supposed to reduce or lower side effects caused by Accutane. Sweeet!

Thats all for now.

Cheerio!

P.S Hey orballa22.

Hope you don't suffer any major side effects when you start. Its such a relief knowing that I'm on something that might clear my acne right up! Good luck when you start. I'll keep in touch.

Hmm Day 16

Man I've been busy lately.

I haven't really noticed any change in my skin so far, and might be worse than before it started. I was told to expect that and am happy enough knowing that it'll clear up soon.

One major side effect that I've been having though is that I am A LOT more confident and happy with myself! I dunno whether its to do with Accutane but I needn't complain cos I feel a lot better about myself, even if my acne is a little worse at the moment.

I think this may be because of my change in thought. I used to always get down about my spots and wasn't ever sure if they'd clear up. Now I'm using something that should clear it up, for good hopefully. I guess my hopes are high for the future, and I feel I don't need to worry about my spots in the meantime, cos they should only be temporary, if things work out well!

Night all (or good morning to those on the other side of the world). :P

hey man, glad you are feeling confident. :) i just started yesterday and have only taken 2 pills so far. My lips are drying a little and my face actually seems to have been more oily and some acne seems to be poppin up. But keep it up and keep updating

Yeah I found it started to work after only a couple of days. Your skin and your lips will probably start to get really dry. I forgot to take lip stuff with me one day, and I could barely open my mouth at the end of the day cos it was so tight and dry and sore and annoying! But it isn't so bad now. I think my body is starting to get used to it now which is good. Hope yours will too.

Adios.

Day 29

I really should update more. My life is just too busy. :D

Well my skin. I would almost say it's almost the same as what it was before 'tane. It may actually be getting worse now. I'm getting more breakouts on the left side of my face. Is this the IB that everyone dreads?! :sick: Does your skin usually get worse than what it was pre 'tane and will it last long?

Im going away this weekend to a christian event and I just hope my skin will clear up for that duration. It can get worse after that, but just not this weekend!! Eh, if it does, I guess I signed up for it and will just have to get it as it comes.

Oh, nearly forgot. I went to the derm yesterday and she's doubled my dosage now up to 70mg. Does this mean that my skin will get A LOT drier? Cos I dunno if my lips can take it much longer!

Later.

Thanks patunox, but somehow the camera doesnt pick up on the rest of the spots. The camera makes it look like very little, but it actually isn't. But...I feel its clearing up so I'll look on the bright side.

Are you on Accutane yourself patunox? So far I'd strongly recommend it. I've had very little side effects, dry lips being the worst. I hope you find a solution to your acne and I'll keep in touch! :)

Day 30

Things have got a lot worse. Ive had 3 major breakouts on the left side of my face and one on the right, near my lips. My neck is also breaking out badly. Its the worst its ever been.

I just hope things clear up soon cos its putting me back into my old pre 'tane mood which I dont want.

I finished the end of my 35mg dose, so tomorrow I start at 70mg for 2 whole months. There's still a long way to go but it's worth it. I just hope it'll work alright.

Speak to ya's soon. :shifty:

Day 33

Things are alright. Skin feels bumpy! And the scarring is getting very red, redder than before I started. But I don't seem to have any active spots, which is class! Hope it'll stay that way.

My skin is starting to dry out again, probably cos of the dosage upgrade. I like dry skin. It feels like its healing!! I feel tired, but I don't look it. :shifty: My skin is tighter and I think it makes me look more awake. Sweet!

Thats all for now.

Cheerio bro (or sis). :cool:

What day is it?

Hmm...Day 42! Time flies in when your having fun.

Yesterday my skin really started to peel badly. I was in work and walked past the mirror and noticed flakes on my chin, the side of my lips and my cheeks. I went and washed my face in the bathroom and felt like an idiot!!

My skin isn't any better, and I'd still say its worse than pre 'tane. I'm braking out a lot more and the scarring is pretty bad. Although my skin feels and lot smoother when I don't have any spots. It definitely feels like the Accutane's working, even if it looks bad now.

When did anyone else begin to see an improvement? I can't really see my skin improving anytime soon. :doubt:

Day 48.

I'm starting to feel the blow of the upped dosage now. My skin was really really really really really dry today and the lips shouldn't be talked about :unsure: . I feel like I've had a face lift cos my skin feels so tight. Saying that, my face is starting to clear up. Any sign of a breakout quickly disappears under the EXTREME dryness.

I just hope I don't get another IB, cos that would suck.

Bye!

Day 52.

My skin is great! I have NO new outbreaks and My skin looks a lot more calm. The past two days my skin was flaking like a coconut and I had to keep brushing it off. :lol:

But it's good now. This layer of skin must be the best yet! Maybe the next will be even better! :D

Night.

Day 53

My skin definately seems to be healing now. No active spots and skin feels a lot smoother. Only bad thing is my skin is really dry and prone to eczema. I'm getting a slight rash on my arms and legs but I know it's because of the dryness. Just using E45 on it which seems to do the trick :drool: .

Thats me for now. Adios. :hand:

Day 70

Things are ok at the mo. I keep getting the same sort of spots around my cheek bones. When a spot starts to disappear from the area, a new one just keeps coming! :doh: And my neck is really bumpy with new spots breaking out on it. It frustrates me! But as for everywhere else, I'm tip top!

Oh and another thing. My skin doesn't seem to dry out a bad as it did and my lips don't need as much care. Is this normal? Is my body just getting normalized (real word?) to the drug? :eh:

Laters!

Hi Swift,

Just skimmed your log. Sounds like it has run its course! I'm thinking of getting on it and am so glad to hear that your skin is finally starting to heal! Can I ask how bad your acne was pre accutane? Is your skin as oily now as it was before? Do you get any new breakouts now? Do you have any before/after pics? Thanks

Holy Monkey. 3 months since I've been on here. Well I guess things have finally happened. My skin is SPOTLESS. Haven't had a blemish for 4 months and the redness has finally passed over the past couple of weeks. Im not as tired anymore and Im A LOT more confident with myself and when interacting with others. Thankyou Accutane! :wub:

I'm the one on the right!

meandjustyac3.th.jpg