Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kodi

Is beta-carotene bad for the liver?

Hi everybody! After following the CSR for about 2 years, I think it has lowered in effectiveness. I've been lurkering around the Diet/Holistic health board for a long time, and I'm totally convinced that my acne has something to do with liver problems. When my parents were going through divorce, I ate instant noodles as my meals and snacks. Nothing else (I know! terrible! I guess I should be glad that I'm not fat :(). I've also started taking many supplements from Rossignol's sticky topic (great topic by the way!) and one of them is a 25,000 IU beta-carotene. I've heard that an overdoes of vitamin A is extremely bad for the liver, but is beta-carotene? I'm really worried since around my area, there is only 25,000 IU avalible...none 10,000 IU.

And is there a topic on how to care for the organs that are responsible for acne? I've read thingd about liver flushes and colon cleasning, but am absolutely 100% clueness on this subject.

I apologize in advance if there are already many topics made about my questions! And I also apologize for my terrible grammer! English is my second language...thank you, Babel Fish Translation. :)

Beta-carotene is not as toxic for the liver as Vitamin A is but ...

... beta-carotene in isolation, from supplements, instead of from food, interferes with the absorption of other crucially important carotenoids, such as lutein and lycopene, thus potentially increasing cancer risk. The precursor to vitamin A, beta-carotene once was regarded as a safe and beneficial antioxidant and even recommended as an anti-cancer vitamin, but it has recently been shown to increase the risk of certain cancers when administered as an isolated supplement.

Researchers believe that problems may result when beta-carotene is ingested without other carotenoids that would have been present had it been ingested from real food. Beta-carotene is only one of about 500 carotenoids that exist. Beta-carotene supplements are poor substitutes for the broad assortment of carotenoid compounds found in plants.

It has been had found that populations with high levels of beta-carotene in their bloodstream had exceedingly low rates of cancer. Recently, it was discovered that the reason these people were protected against cancer was because of hundreds of carotenoids and phytochemicals in the fruits and vegetables they were consuming. It wasn't that beta-carotene alone was responsible for the benefit.

In Finnish trials, those using beta-carotene supplements failed to prevent lung cancer, and there was actually an increase in cancer in those who took the supplement.

This study was halted when the physician researchers discovered the death rate from lung cancer was 28 percent higher among participants who had taken the high amounts of beta-carotene and vitamin A. Furthermore, the death rate from heart disease was 17 percent higher in those who had taken the supplements compared to those just given a placebo. Other studies showed similar results, correlating beta-carotene supplementation with an increased occurrence of prostate cancer.

As a result of these European studies, as well as similar studies conducted here in the United States, articles in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, the Lancet, and the New England Journal of Medicine all advise people to stop taking beta-carotene supplements.

Since beta-carotene gets converted into vitamin A by your body, there is no reason why a person eating a reasonably healthy diet would require any extra vitamin A. The ingestion of extra vitamin A (retinyl palmatate) may be even more risky than the ingestion of supplemental beta-carotene.

There is solid research revealing that supplemental vitamin A induces calcium loss in the urine, contributing to osteoporosis. Too much vitamin A is known to be toxic to the liver, and to cause birth defects. The most common effect of toxic doses of vitaminn A in animals is spontaneous fracture.

In humans, excess vitamin A is potentially a problem, even in ranges not normally considered toxic.

One study found that subjects with a vitamin A intake in the range of 1.5 mg had double the hip fracture rate of those with an intake in the range of .5 mg. For every 1 mg increase in vitamin A consumption, hip fracture rate increased by 68 percent. Physicians don't permit expectant mothers to take more than 5,000 IU of vitamin A (retinyl palmatate) because too much vitamin A has been linked to birth defects.

The bring home message is that not only supplementation as a substitute from nutrients found in whole food is uneffective and useless but it is also very dangerous.

Vitamin A and carotenoids intake is better increased through the consumption of greens and green smoothies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Mayne ST. Beta-carotene, carotenoids, and disease prevention in humans.

FASEB. 1996;10(7):690-701.

2. Goodman GE. Prevention of lung cancer. Cur Opin Oncol 1998;10(2):122-

3. Kolata G. Studies Find Beta-Carotene, Taken by Millions, Can't Forestall Cancer

or Heart Disease. New York Times Jan 19, 1996.

4. Omenn GS, Goodman GE, Thornquist MD, et al. Effects of a combination of

beta-carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J

Med 1996;334(18);1150-1155.

Hennekens CH, Buring JE, Manson JE, et al. Lack of effect of long-term supplementation

with beta-carotene on the incidence of malignant neoplasms and

cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 1996;334(18):1145-1149.

5. Albanes D, Heinonen OP, Taylor PR, et al. Alpha-tocopherol and betacarotene

supplements and lung cancer incidence in the alpha-tocopherol, betacarotene

cancer prevention study: Effects of base-line characteristics and study

compliance. JNCI 1996;88(21):1560-1570.

6. Rapola JM, Virtamo J, Ripatti S, et al. Randomized trial of alpha-tocopherol

and beta-carotene supplements on incidence of major coronary events in men

with previous myocardial infarction. Lancet 1997;349(9067):1715-1720.

7. Whiting SJ, Lemke B. Excess retinol intake may explain the high incidence of

osteoporosis in northern Europe. Nutr Rev 1999;57(6):192-195.

8. Melhus H, Michaelson K, Kindmark A, et al. Excessive dietary intake of vitamin

A is associated with reduced bone mineral density and increased risk of hip

fracture. Ann Intern Med 1998;129(10):770-778.

I know! terrible! I guess I should be glad that I'm not fat :(

Are you sure?

Many people who think to be lean are actually fat

I'm not just being picky with words but mentioning this because many people rule out "overweight" as the cause or part of the cause of their problems just because their weight and frame are okay, sometimes even underweight

Being fat just means "having an excess of fat" and people can have an excess of fat even if their weight is okay, they don't look "round" or are even underweight and emaciated

When one is fat without looking fat usually all the excess fat is visceral rather than subcutaneous

Visceral excess fat is the kind of fat that disturbs the body hormonal equilibrium and causes all sort of physiological anomalities

Again I'm not just being picky and making Kodi more worried than he already is, but the difference between body weight and body composition and its implication in the health problems we're discussing (including and expecially liver diseases) is something everyone should understand thoroughly and remember well

Believe it or not the majority of "underweight" people are actually "FAT" and "overweight" without that showing up on their scales

I know! terrible! I guess I should be glad that I'm not fat :(

Are you sure?

Many people who think to be lean are actually fat

I'm not just being picky with words but mentioning this because many people rule out "overweight" as the cause or part of the cause of their problems just because their weight and frame are okay, sometimes even underweight

Being fat just means "having an excess of fat" and people can have an excess of fat even if their weight is okay, they don't look "round" or are even underweight and emaciated

When one is fat without looking fat usually all the fat excess fat visceral rather than subcutaneous

Visceral excess fat is the kind of fat that disturbs the body hormonal equilibrium and causes all sort of physiological anomalities

Again I'm not just being picky and making Kodi more worried than he already is, but the difference between body weight and body composition and its implication in the health problems we're discussing (including and expecially liver diseases) is something everyone should understand thoroughly and remember

Believe it or not the majority of "underweight" people is actually "FAT" and "overweight" without that showing up on the scale

How can you tell if you're skinny fat?

How can you tell if you're skinny fat?

The best way is to know exactly your body composition, rather than just your body weight

Skinny fat usually need to lose the visceral fat not through the hypocaloric diets but by adding lean body mass and increasing physical activity. A combination of small resistance and HIIT endurance is the best way to burn visceral fat. It's a paradox but they may actually need to gain weight in order to lose fat. Therefore a body composition check up will tell whether there's an excess of fat combined with a unadequate amount of lean body mass. Such test can often be performed at a clinical or gym and it implies measurement with calipers

calipers measurement can also be performed by yourself once you buy a caliper but it's harder to do alone, better if a friend help you

A less exact test but that may anyway give aproximate faithful results implies the measuring of the same body part you would measure using the calipers, only that instead a tape is used

Tape Body Fat Calculator

My ball park is that the abdomen must look flat and toned and (but not necessarily) abdominal muscles should be slighly visible. Whether weight, height, age someone is ... if the abdomen is bloated or round, there's unhealthy visceral intra-organs fat to remove

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I'll start substituting with carrot juice right away. And I'm a little worried about the fat issue too. I have muscular legs (from running 2+ hours per day baby sitting my cousins; don't ask uhh ;)), skinny arms, but fat on the tummy. But it is all more motivation to weight train! Again, thanks for the information. :) It is very useful.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply! I'll start substituting with carrot juice right away. And I'm a little worried about the fat issue too. I have muscular legs (from running 2+ hours per day baby sitting my cousins; don't ask uhh ;)), skinny arms, but fat on the tummy. But it is all more motivation to weight train! Again, thanks for the information. :) It is very useful.

How old are your cousins? If they're not babies it would be cool if you could exercise together and heading them at a young age towards a path of physical fitness and health

I started the Faigenbaum program when I was 11-12 years old and it was one of the best thing that happened to me

Another best exercise to do for losing visceral fat is HIIT

Keepin it simple, High Intensity Interval Training means that you run with high intensity for a short period then stop and walk for a short period, then with a burst of energy run again for a short period and again stop and walk for a short period. This is 80% more effective than normal jogging or running in decreasing your visceral fat and it's a perfect exercise for little children (provided it's not too strenuous but at a sustenable pace)

P.S. I'm sorry but it seems that the Faigenbaum website is not working properly and many sections are being re-constructed. If anyone is interested in getting more info on the Faigenbaum program can just ask or pm me (a Faigenbaum kid)

i eat loads of fruits, and my hands are orangish yellow, and my skin has a pink tinge to it.This is due to excess beta carotene?Im on accutane will it interfere with my liver or anything?

It is just the effect of carotenoid from whole foods.

It is only aesthetical and absolutely harmless

The side-effects of accutane are very similar to the side-effects of isolated vitamin A

Fortunately accutane is a short term treatment and most of its vitamin A toxicity effects are reversible

If one had to take accutane for a longer period then bones and liver health would become a concern

So Danny - tell us how to lean up! I want my muscle to show a bit more, can't run due to the beta blockers I am on for my too fast heart rate. I use the treadmill with legweights on an incline (sweat like heck!), pump iron for many years now, but do not need to lose weight. Have normal BMI, but want to be like at 14, not 22!

How does one accomplish this without excessive cardio.?????????

So Danny - tell us how to lean up! I want my muscle to show a bit more, can't run due to the beta blockers I am on for my too fast heart rate. I use the treadmill with legweights on an incline (sweat like heck!), pump iron for many years now, but do not need to lose weight. Have normal BMI, but want to be like at 14, not 22!

How does one accomplish this without excessive cardio.?????????

HIIT is still the best option because the alternated "high rate" with the "low rate" prevents that adaption that would limit your visceral fat mobilitation

On beta-blockers you can't exceed a rate of 130-135 and riding a bycicle or swimming (if your cardiologist consider the impact of water temperature sustainable for your individual condition) is a good kind of cardio were to implement an HIIT. You can alternate moments of 125 high rate and moments of 70 low rate

With HIIT you don't need to exceed the 130 barrier to see results, even if it may take more