Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
F49Z0R5!!!

The BIG Regimen Help Topic

I figure that since so many people are having troubles with the regimen I would just make a BIG thread addressing the many issues people are having with the regimen. This is all from my personal experience + from reading about these things on forums and legit websites + your input hopefully. Seems like people don't bother reading the website fully and go straight to forums to ask questions about the regimen, and I hope this will answer them. I will start by addressing the simple issues and later add in the more complicated stuff. That way people won't have to bother making threads about something and wait for 2 days for a response and hopefully will be able to find an answer here. This is all assuming you use a cleanser, the Neutrogen On-The-Spot 2.5% BP, and a moisturizer. So, let's star with:

-Dryness/Flaking/Tightness-

Typical response of the skin at the onset of Benzoyl Peroxide. If this persists for a long time you should evaluate the products you are using and how you are using them. Some cleansers, even if they say they don't, dry out the skin. Reasons for this may not just be the cleanser itself but how you are using it. If you are having troubles with dryness and flakiness try to lower the amount of lather you are using on your face and if you cleanse for a long time lower that down to 5-10 seconds and rinse it off quickly and thouroughly. Also, the problem may be in the moisturizer you use and how much of it you use. I personally use Eucerin Renewal SPF-15 which works great together with the BP. I first started using ALOT of moisturizer because of my initial dryness/flakiness. Then I found that if you use alot, you end up being all greasy looking and some of the moisturizer may dry on your face and cause tightness. Now I use roughly 3 pumps on forehead, and 2 on each cheek, its not much but its just enough to keep my skin shine-proof and tight-proof. Your acne, especially red spots, will look ALOT better if your skin isn't shiny and greasy. The third reason for the flakiness/dryness/tightness may be the fact that you take too long to apply your products. I know Dan stresses to not skimp and rush puttin on the BP, but that does not mean that you should sit down get comfy and smooth the BP in your skin for 10 minutes. Rubbing (I say rubbing because I cannot find a better word, but I mean like gentle application) for too long will irritate the skin. Also, rubbing the skin too much stimulate oil production, making you look more greasy. The BP also dries quite fast so if you aren't quick BUT gentle and thourough, you will have some of it dry on your face causeing flakiness and tightness. You want these products in your face not on it, thats including the moisturizer.

-Wrinkles-

I personally don't have a problem with this and never had so it'll be tough for me to be in detail about this topic. Quite a few people were complaining about wrinkles under the eyes and such. The simple answer here is, don't EVER put BP, the cleanser, or the moisturizer on the skin under your eyes. It is much too sensitive and fragile to be dealt with these products. Once you stop doing this the wrinklage should go away. If the skin under your eyes seems dry try buying a special "Under Eye Moisturizer" thats specially made for the fragile skin under the eye. And when applying do not rub, do not even SMOOTH your finger across the skin. You must gently PAT the moisturizer into the skin using your wedding-ring finger (the one next to the pinky) because it is the weakest finger and doesn't apply too much pressure. Some people were also complaining about wrinkles on the forehead. For this you may want to try using less BP, cleanser and moisturizer there all together. I suggest slowing your roll on the forehead and use less for alittle bit and see what happens.

-BP not absorbing or takes too long to absorb-

This merely means that your pores all very clogged and won't allow the BP to get in. For this it may be because your don't cleanse very well. If you don't use that much cleanser, try to use more and cleanse for about 5-10 seconds and rinse thouroughly. If this won't help you may want to consider switching your cleanser because it looks like it doesn't do a good job at cleaning out the pores. I personally use the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar and my skin is literally PORELESS and the BP absorbs in 20 seconds for me. Try switching the cleansers.

-Regimen Isn't Working-

There's MANY things to consider here. Aside from you using the wrong products or using them incorrectly. You may either have severe acne, in which the regimen can't help much. You may be irritating your face throughout the day by touching it, being exposed to the sun etc. You may be not using enough of BP, being too rough when you use it and such. See http://www.acne.org/faq.html#notworking for more information on this topic.

-Diet-

So much arguments in this department. There has been no scientific proof that there is a link between food and acne. Don't worry about what you eat it doesn't make any difference. BUT, if you happen to be so sure that a certain food makes you breakout, just avoid it then. BUT, keep in mind that it may be a coincidence. I once ate some lasagnia and had a breakout afterwards, then ate some lasagnia another few times and no breakouts, just coincidence. Don't stop eating all normal foods because it won't do anything except put you in misery from your favorite foods. The whole deal with food is that, junk food will not GIVE you acne. But a LACK of a certain food MAY. If you don't get enough vitamins and zinc, iron and so on you may have a breakout. Eating healthy also contributes to the healing of red spots. But remember, eating pizza and ice cream WON'T give you anything.

-Regimen Stopped Being Effective-

No. YOU stopped being effective. Your skin will never build up a tolerance to BP, if it once worked then it'll always work. The only real explanation here is that you started to slack on the application. Either not applying as much, doing it too quickly or too rough etc. Don't be lazy, if you want a good complexion you gotta work for it! There may be a case where your hormone might shift and you get some breakouts but nothing that serious. If it's a serious return of acne it's because you have stopped being so thourough with application. DON'T BE LAZY, put that stuff on well. Another factor though, can be that you were recently exposed to an unusual amount of irritation from physical contact to the face, sun exposure, or some kind of substance on your face. Don't forget to not sleep with your face smooshed into the pillow.

-Persistant Redness-

You may be allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide. 3% of the population is allergic to BP. It is mentioned that swelling may occur as well along with severe and/or persistant redness but it is not neccessarily the case. You may just experience the redness. If this is the case see a doctor and find out if you really are allergic. If not, try to lower the amount of BP that you use. Evaluate your cleansers and moisturizers. Some moisturizers tend to redden the face after the BP. Use the recommende products by Dan to get the best results: http://www.acne.org/order.html.

-No Results from Regimen-

It sometimes takes up to a month to start seeing any results. If you are past that, look at the products you use and how you use them. Check out these videos, http://www.acne.org/video.html, and make sure you are following the regimen precisely. You should be using the recommended products by Dan, http://www.acne.org/order.html. If you have severe acne it's very likely you won't get any response from the regimen and will require more serious treatment such as Accutane.

-Oily/Shiny/Greasy Looking Skin-

You are using too much moisturizer. Lower the amount and make sure you completely smooth it in your skin. You want your face to feel nice but not too moist. If it feels moist when it dries it will look shiny and greasy. A technique that I use is after I put on the moisturizer, 3 pumps on forehead, 2 on each cheek, I wash my hands again with the Cleansing Bar and wipe them dry. This gets off all the moisture from the moisturizer on my fingers and makes them dry. Then I gently smooth my fingers accross my face and let my fingers collect the extra moisturizer off my face, making it look less shiny.

-Blackheads-

If you are completely clear, acne free. Try adding a Blackhead Scrub to your regimen. Implement it after the Cleanser. Make sure you find a gentle scrub though, scrubs tend to be very harsh. But I hear that the neutrogena Blackhead Scrub is gentle.

Well I hope this was somewhat helpfull. This is it for now, I will be adding more things later on as people ask more questions or as I find more problems people are having.

VERY good and informative post! i think this should be stickied =D>

i do have a question though. i've been on this regimen since july.. i am clear but i do have a problem. my skin tends to be VERY dry and very flaky. does your skin tend to flake up f49? or is it non flaky clear? like so non flaky you dont need moisturizer? i think it is the cleanser im using (purpose bar).. im going to use your advice tommorow morning and not use too much lather. as for now cheers and good post biggrin.gif/

VERY good and informative post! i think this should be stickied  =D> 

i do have a question though. i've been on this regimen since july.. i am clear but i do have a problem. my skin tends to be VERY dry and very flaky. does your skin tend to flake up f49? or is it non flaky clear? like so non flaky you dont need moisturizer? i think it is the cleanser im using (purpose bar).. im going to use your advice tommorow morning and not use too much lather. as for now cheers and good post  biggrin.gif/

Really cool post - thanks! biggrin.gif 

Can you (or anyone else) recommend a cleanser and moisturiser that I can get easily in the UK?

Thanks

Can you (or anyone else) recommend a cleanser and moisturiser that I can get easily in the UK?

Thanks

Well I use the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar and the Eucerin Renewal SPF-15 Moisturizer. Eucerin is a worldwide company and I'm sure you can find it in UK, I'm not too sure about the Purpose Bar b/c it's Johnson&Johnson, but it may be available too.

Thanks

Well I use the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar and the Eucerin Renewal SPF-15 Moisturizer. Eucerin is a worldwide company and I'm sure you can find it in UK, I'm not too sure about the Purpose Bar b/c it's Johnson&Johnson, but it may be available too.

Guest fatman_uk

I'm surprised you know so much after only 3 weeks expeirience... good post man. =D> wink.gif

-Gaz