Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Icelight

Ok, so what exactly are these?

Backstory:

I've had trouble with acne for a few years. It's finally starting to die down now (I only get the occassional red spot, no pimples that come to a head or anything anymore) except for the blackheads (supposedly). Throughout my course of acne I had always had big trouble with blackheads mainly right below my lip and on my closer to my nose.

Now, I am having trouble determining exactly what the problems on my close-to-nose cheeks are...

Are they blackheads? If so, they much be pretty deep in there because there isn't much colour to them...

Are they scars? If so, they must be very small...

Are they enlarged pores? Sadly, I feel that this is the case...since I had blackhead problems there in the past it's completely understandable that they caused enlarged pores...am I also right to believe that there is nothing that can be done for that?

Any help in identifying what the problem is, and what can (potentially) be done would be greatly appreciated! I have two pictures here:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Icelight3/Pic1.png

(Excuse the redness, my face isn't actually that red all over, it was merely the lighting conditions! I just highlighted the area around the nose as well, which IS actually red, but that's just a surviving pocket of blackheads that *will* not go away!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Icelight3/Pic2.png

(Gross close-up of the area in question...again, obviously blackheads by the nose, but not so obvious what the situation is to the left!)

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

PS. I know I need a haircut and a shave, so that's not helpful advice if you point that out :)

I think these are enlarged pores. Kinda hard to tell from this distance. I have these occasionally and tried something cheap which works for me. Might not work but it seems to tighten up my pores really well. Generic uncoated asprin mixed with warm water to make a paste. Put it on your face for like 15 minutes and rinse off. I swear it seems to make my pores shrink up really well. Only costs about a buck to try it.

Okay I just noticed the close up shot. Possibly a few very tiny scars there but still the asprin mask should help with the pore size. You have many, many options for tiny scars. Microdermabrasion is one you may consider.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Actually, I just starting trying out the Aspirin face mask thing yesterday, so I'll see if that actually makes any difference!

I have the same, but worse.

i use the asprin mask to kiII bacteria but i dont see any dif in my pore size. Ive aIso tried home dermabration. I had a faciaI the other day and even that hasnt changed the size (infact ended up with an infected pore..zzz!).

My derm says the dermaroIIer may heIp. I'II Iook into having a treatment with this end of the month I think. I'II Iet you know when if i have it done and what the resuIts are.

Those are scars and a lot of blackheads on your nose. I think a series of microderms would help your skin a lot.

Ok, and I'm guessing it would be far better to get something like that professionally done rather than buying those 'microdermabrasion kits' that you can buy?

I'm just worried about the cost of that!

Backstory:

I've had trouble with acne for a few years. It's finally starting to die down now (I only get the occassional red spot, no pimples that come to a head or anything anymore) except for the blackheads (supposedly). Throughout my course of acne I had always had big trouble with blackheads mainly right below my lip and on my closer to my nose.

Now, I am having trouble determining exactly what the problems on my close-to-nose cheeks are...

Are they blackheads? If so, they much be pretty deep in there because there isn't much colour to them...

Are they scars? If so, they must be very small...

Are they enlarged pores? Sadly, I feel that this is the case...since I had blackhead problems there in the past it's completely understandable that they caused enlarged pores...am I also right to believe that there is nothing that can be done for that?

Any help in identifying what the problem is, and what can (potentially) be done would be greatly appreciated! I have two pictures here:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Icelight3/Pic1.png

(Excuse the redness, my face isn't actually that red all over, it was merely the lighting conditions! I just highlighted the area around the nose as well, which IS actually red, but that's just a surviving pocket of blackheads that *will* not go away!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l77/Icelight3/Pic2.png

(Gross close-up of the area in question...again, obviously blackheads by the nose, but not so obvious what the situation is to the left!)

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

PS. I know I need a haircut and a shave, so that's not helpful advice if you point that out :)

I have same, but bigger pores than yours, but i dunno if that's because camera is not picking it up. I'll tell you from experience nothing can really help....part of us not having smooth skin is genetics. Your scars and mine as well are minor. That's good of course. But on the other hand, there is absolutely nothing that can be done. also, there are many risks involved with such procedures which can cause worse scarring. not a good idea to throw out the baby with the bath water.

i'm a girl and in dire circumstances i can cover with powder or makeup. you're a guy and frankly ppl will not CARE about such minor scarring on a man.

also, all i really see is redness. but then your neck is also red.....other than that, i'd say you have good skin and should enjoy it :D

Ok, and I'm guessing it would be far better to get something like that professionally done rather than buying those 'microdermabrasion kits' that you can buy?

I'm just worried about the cost of that!

I use a professional grade machine that I purchased for my personal use once every two weeks. I have been told by several members that those at home hand held kits from any store work as good as a professional microdermabrasion. The trick is to use the thing until your face becomes red and irritated. Then over the next few days the skin will flake off and will gradually smooth the surface. If done right it should cause pinpoint bleeding.

Sounds serious but its really not. U should be able to go out and things the next day. There is really no way to totally smooth the skin out without causing at least minor damage.

I also use the acne free scar eraser which is $12-20 at any store. That has worked really well for me. Check out my gallery to see the results from these things.

Ok, thanks again for the advice, it's greatly appreciated as always!

Only problem is finding out where to buy these things in Canada, it's always been my experience that it ends out being very tough to find a store that contains <product x> whereas 'every' store in the US sells <product x>...

Those are scars and a lot of blackheads on your nose. I think a series of microderms would help your skin a lot.

Keith were these the type of scars that the scar eraser got rid of ?

Keith were these the type of scars that the scar eraser got rid of ?

lol those look a lot more minor than mine but I guess they were similar but much larger and deeper than those.

as you get less oily those will close up. I would NOT do microdermabrasion or anything else to them it will only scar them. THey are larger pores. i had them much worse than you on my cheek and nose. they used to get filled with yellow and white sebum; i got in the bad habit of squeezing it out which i think made a few permanently scarred.

accutane made them shrink a lot and disappear in some places. accutane definately stopped the nasty blackheads!

ok im not saying i know anything about scaring.. i've never been in here before because i never thought i had scars..

my skin looks kinda like yours.bigger pores though. yes im calling them pores.. i dont think theyre scars? i never considered mine scars

anyways so yeah.. this looks like enlarged pores, black heads on your nose and basically uneven skin tone to me. i dont get how you people are calling them scars

heres a pic, i know my cheeks are filled w/ red marks but around my nose is where my 'enlarged pores are'

post-24229-1160099336_thumb.jpg

post-24229-1160099336_thumb.jpg

as you get less oily those will close up. I would NOT do microdermabrasion or anything else to them it will only scar them. THey are larger pores. i had them much worse than you on my cheek and nose. they used to get filled with yellow and white sebum; i got in the bad habit of squeezing it out which i think made a few permanently scarred.

accutane made them shrink a lot and disappear in some places. accutane definately stopped the nasty blackheads!

Dont make such a general comment like that. I do those microdermabrasions once every two weeks and my skin has not looked this good in a long long time. Theres a lot of people that could benefit from microdermabrasions if they are willing to pay for a lot of them or do as i did and buy your own machine to preform them yourself.

In any case I have never seen anyone scarred from such a light procedure, nor have I recieved any scars from probably 15 of these now just like I described. Which actually I do them deeper than I have ever gotten from a derm. This is great for light surface scarring so obviously anyone doing it on deeper scars prob wont have too much luck.

GOod luck everyone

also, all i really see is redness. but then your neck is also red.....other than that, i'd say you have good skin and should enjoy it :D

It must have been something to do with the lightning or the flash or something (or maybe I was just really camera-shy and got embarrassed taking a picture of myself :eh:), because my skin isn't red at all normally.

Thanks for the comments by the way. I just can't bring myself to believe that this is not too bad...I don't know, I think it's the combination of the scarring and the sudden super-oilyness of my skin that has set me off (It's weird...as my skin got less acne on it it got more and more oily...). I see other people with acne scarring worse than me in University all the time, but their face is nice and 'dry' (not 'flaking dry', but 'face isn't dripping with oil dry') and I think their condition is 100% better than mine.

It must have been something to do with the lightning or the flash or something (or maybe I was just really camera-shy and got embarrassed taking a picture of myself :eh:), because my skin isn't red at all normally.

Thanks for the comments by the way. I just can't bring myself to believe that this is not too bad...I don't know, I think it's the combination of the scarring and the sudden super-oilyness of my skin that has set me off (It's weird...as my skin got less acne on it it got more and more oily...). I see other people with acne scarring worse than me in University all the time, but their face is nice and 'dry' (not 'flaking dry', but 'face isn't dripping with oil dry') and I think their condition is 100% better than mine.

oily and dry flaky should could be caused by yeast.