Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

I am thinking about quiting accutane

Ok, so if you are interested, check out my gallery and the last page of my journal...I am scarring! I am almost through five months! I think I am going to stop...I am not sure why this is happening to me...but it is very upsetting. I don't understand it...I can't see it in certain lighting, but I can definately see it here!

IPB Image

I am freaking out! I don't know if it is the millia surrounding it that is causing it to look like a rolling scar or if it is...if my skin grows back and covers the millia again, will the scar go away? I don't see why I would all of the sudden have one!

I am surprised you qualified for Accutane given that your pre-accutane pictures show very light acne at worst. In respect of the scars, I noticed some very light scarring in the before shots and it doesn't look to be any worse now. Its certainly not the kind of thing that I think anyone would notice.

In any event I wouldn't stop taking the course now. The zits that you have now may seem bad because your acne was mild to begin with, but I hope they will clear up for you shortly.

One final thing re your derm - I have NEVER heard of surgicially removing zits, especially milia (and I don't think your pictures look like milia). That remark, plus the fact he gave you Accutane in the first place, makes me wonder if you should really be taking his advice seriously.

Well if this is 5 months after, it is good now. Accutane seemed to make my zits harden like that!!

Such as for the scarring, cause I picked. Do not pic!

But some scars formed just "because". :think:

Maybe go off now, then start like CSR or something. BP made some of those hard bumps go away!

Worth a try, you can always go back on.

I am speaking from the heart and my own experience.

One final thing re your derm - I have NEVER heard of surgicially removing zits, especially milia (and I don't think your pictures look like milia).

Surgical removal is the only way to permanently get rid of milia or any other form of epidermal cyst. And milia are not zits. Although i don't see any milia in her pics, sometimes pictures sized for web aren't that good at capturing small detail.

Kirstin - don't freak out. My scars became a lot more visible toward the end of my course. This is probably due to the skin thinning effect. The scar you are seeing is probably not a new one and at any rate is very minor. I wonder if you have dysmorphia - your reaction to your skin's minor flaws seems all out of proportion to their actual severity.

I am surprised you qualified for Accutane given that your pre-accutane pictures show very light acne at worst. In respect of the scars, I noticed some very light scarring in the before shots and it doesn't look to be any worse now. Its certainly not the kind of thing that I think anyone would notice.

In any event I wouldn't stop taking the course now. The zits that you have now may seem bad because your acne was mild to begin with, but I hope they will clear up for you shortly.

One final thing re your derm - I have NEVER heard of surgicially removing zits, especially milia (and I don't think your pictures look like milia). That remark, plus the fact he gave you Accutane in the first place, makes me wonder if you should really be taking his advice seriously.

Ok, so again, is this the my acne is worse than yours forum??? There is no measurement as to who should get accutane and who should not. I have seen several people on here with LESS acne/scars than me, yet they don't get these negative comments.

I am 27 years old and do have what they call "cystic acne" because I do get zits and have the scars to prove it. I was given accutane because I have suffered with it for many many many years. My acne is deep in my skin. Pictures do not portray it as it really is. Plus, I have extremely oily skin, which makes matters worse. The acne that I have is Millia...it DOES HAVE TO BE REMOVED BY A PROFFESSIONAL...they are keratin filled cysts. Check my gallery and you will see the other side of my face, which does have more obvious millia. On this side they are deep in my skin, but when I smile you can see them.

This is Millia that is obvious:

IPB Image

As far as my derm, he knows what he is doing and talking about.

I am going to finish out my course, its only 10 days more. I think that you are right been there done that- my skin is so thin it makes scars that aren't really there more noticable.

Sorry that I was freaking out for a bit, thanks for the words of encouragement. I won't be on here any more, this will probably be one of my last posts...if anyone wants to contact me, please just PM me.

K

Ok, so again, is this the my acne is worse than yours forum??? There is no measurement as to who should get accutane and who should not. I have seen several people on here with LESS acne/scars than me, yet they don't get these negative comments.

First, regarding negative comments - i'll admit it, when i saw your photos, it made me angry. But not at you! At all the dermatologists who ever made me jump through a million hoops while yours gave it to you for such minor acne when mine really was much, much, worse. That's not intended to be a "who's acne is worse thing", it's more of a "personal irritation that i have so much scarring that could have been avoided with a less conservative derm" thing. And i think that sort of reaction is coloring a lot of the responses you get. So please, don't take it personally - it's not directed at you, and i apologize if i upset you.

There is no measurement as to who should get accutane and who should not.

And technically, there is indeed a measurement as to who should get it - it's supposed to be reserved for "severe recalcitrant nodulocystic" acne which yours is not by any stretch of the imagination. Consider yourself lucky to have such a liberal derm.

I will reserve myself from replying to any more of these comments. Sometimes it is better to keep one's mouth shut than to state false assumptions and facts.

I don't mean to gang up on you, but why would you even consider quitting accutane when you only have 10 days left?? I could see if you had a month or more left or something and saw something concerning, but you're damn near done and most people on this board would probably love to have your skin right now. You're fine, finish off your 10 days, and if you're still concerned, go talk to your doctor.

Just my opinion.

By the way, didn't seem to take too much to convince you to stay on it. Glad we could help!

yeah, what the person above me said... thats kinda like saying, "uhh well... I just walked through the whole entire gobi desert(which is thousands of miles long)... except for a mile, I think im gonna turn back, I cant take walking any more"

plus scars are easy to treat, but what worth is it treating them if your just going to get more :)

get rid of acne then scars then you'll be happily ever after

Ok, so again, is this the my acne is worse than yours forum???

No it isn't. But when you see pictures of what moderate / severe (hell even mild) acne looks like you can't seriously think you have it all that bad. I appreciate people view their acne in different ways but very few people have perfect skin and if that is your aim I fear you will continue to be disappointed. Good luck with your treatment anyway.