Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kirstin

How long to wait for tanning?

I am about to finish up my accutane course and am wondering how long I should wait to go tanning in a salon booth. See, I have really bad millia right now, and desperately need to cover it up until I can get them taken care of. I think tanning should help!

Thanks in advance!

K

start now!!!!

only go for like 5-6 minutes on a low bed, about twice a week, until about 2-3 weeks after your done the accutane. After that, just increase by like 1 minute a week, don't push it!

yuppers!

on accutane you are very sensitive to the sun, but 5-6 minutes twice a week should be okay. some people are totally fine and can tan/sun like normal during their whole course!

most important is to listen to your body and skin, as long as you are not pink, itchy, or feel burning after tanning or the next day, you are good!

the accutane should be out of your system within 3 weeks after you are done and you can up your minutes slowly to a normal time (here in Canada my max was about 15 minutes twice a week)

I ment to tan the whole time I've been on accutane but I moved and haven't found a nice place yet really close to me. I went to florida about a month ago and was in the sun a lot. One time I was in the ocean and FRIED. It hurt for a day or so, I put aloe on it and it turned into a tan that I'm still going on till I can find a tanning place, hopefully in the next week and I have 2 months left of accutane.

Ok, but what about the bronzers I use? I know most certainly I shouldn't use a tingler...and what do you think will happen to my millia? Do you think it will hurt them???

I have never seen anything that associated any milia-specific adverse effects with tanning. Assuming you are talking about real milia which you never know around here.

But i caution you again that tanning while on Accutane is ill-advised to say the least, and that while serum levels of isotretinoin do return to normal within about 3 weeks, that does not mean that your skin has recovered and is no longer photosensitive. Talk to your derm before you do something you might regret.

Ok, but what about the bronzers I use? I know most certainly I shouldn't use a tingler...and what do you think will happen to my millia? Do you think it will hurt them???

your right, no tinglers!!! those things scare me anyway, lol

you'll need to use nothing, and moisturize afterwards.....

or

use a low level tanning lotion (which is basically just a moisturizer), and shower afterwards every time.

on your face I wouldn't use anything except your regular moisturizer.

for your millia, it won't hurt or help..... it will just slowly tan the area.

Hmm...is this really such a good idea? I would kill to go tanning right now. But I can't imagine it would be good for my red, dry, Accutane abused skin.

Of course it's not a good idea! Read the package label, it warns about UV. Many posters have seriously burned themselves when they ignored this warning, and some say that while they didn't burn, they had a lot of sun damage (freckles, etc) show up that they normally don't get.

i agree w/ beentheredonethat and a few others that have commented that it's not such a good idea. but if you're going to go through w/ it i really think you need to try to protect yourself as much as you can. i have really fair skin so when i first start going to tanning beds again i have to protect it like crazy and you should too (b/c of accutane making it more sensitive and b/c you haven't been in the sun for a while so it will take some time to adjust). when i first start going back to the tanning bed i use ocean potion sunblock 15 spf. there's no oil in it so it's safe to use on acrylic tanning beds w/o ruining them and it's a low enough spf that it still allows you to tan through it, but prevents overexposure. and i also take a beach towel in w/ me. i lay it down on the bottom of the tanning bed (b/c despite what some ppl say you really are a lot closer to the uv lamps that are on the bottom and it burns the crap out of my skin). then i set a timer (usually my cell phone) and i flip over after a specified amount of minutes (if i'm in for 12 i flip after 6). this way i get a nice even tan w/o getting burnt :dance: . one time i didn't use this method and i was as red as a tomato. i think if you do decide to go tanning while on accutane you need to really really protect yourself.

5-6 minutes, one time, in a low intensity bed, with lotion, to find out how her skin reacts is not a huge deal. jeez.

people go outside in the sun for a lot longer just walking a few blocks!

so I guess people who take accutane in the summer have to stay indoors and wear a full balaclava if they are going from building to building. scary.

by the way, it's also irresponsible to suggest any kind of hormonal birth control to someone. if we need to get into nit fucking picking.

No, they need to wear sunscreen if they will be exposed.

by the way, it's also irresponsible to suggest any kind of hormonal birth control to someone. if we need to get into nit fucking picking.

the tanning bed gives very direct uv light. it's a lot different than going out into the sun for a little while. i can layout by the pool for over an hour w/ just a little sunscreen on (if any) and be fine (and i live in florida), but going into the tanning bed for 10 minutes w/o my crazy routine and i'm fried like a tomato. even w/o being on accutane ppl going into tanning beds need to protect themselves but i think what we're all saying is better safe than sorry cause sun burns are horrible...not to mention the damage that happens to your skin b/c of it (skin cancer is not to be taken lightly). since accutane can be so damaging to your skin and makes it so sensitive be really careful.

Did ya'll know you can ignore users??? Yup, its on your profile options!

As far as the tanning, I have heard from several ppl that tanning is ok as long as it is in moderation. Thanks for your suggestions Jess and HBTM!

K

To quote my Canadian packaging leaflet for Accutane:

"Avoid the use of artificial lights such as the ones used in tanning machines and protect yourself from excessive sunlight. 'Accutane' can make your skin more sensitive to ultraviolet light."

The word 'avoid' is not equal to 'do not'. This warning seems cautionary to me, that's all. Where it says to protect yourself from 'excessive' sunlight, I'd agree -- but I don't think a little bit of UV light will do any harm. It 'can' make you more sensitive, but not necessarily so. I'm sure you know your skin well enough to make a decent decision.

I would say that you should keep your skin superbly moisturized if you're going to be exposed to UV light of any kind (but no 'tinglers' as Jess mentioned). A few minutes in a tanning bed should be fine. Heck, once my face stops looking like I already have a sunburn, I may tan for a few minutes each week myself. I think it helps to keep me happy in the dark, damp months :-)

I was told that sun sensitivity is fairly rare (somewhere around 1/20 in the same way as for antibiotics that promote photosensitivty like minocycline).

But although my skin looks horrific (mostly due to acne, but partly due to being white/pink rather than brown) I won't be trying it myself until my course is over. That's not because of any skin cancer fear or anything of that type, it's just that my skin is so dry and seems generally thin and unhealthy that I don't believe its appearance would be enhanced significantly by tanning at this stage.

After accutane, I do plan to go tanning once all the active acne's gone (if that ever happens) when my only problem is irregular pigmentation. Kirstin, your skin looks good, and colour-wise it looks nice and even without tanning. If your skin looks/feels to you like it would do you good in moderation I don't really see that there is a principled objection to tanning on accutane. Just not for me.

it really depends on how sensitive and tolerant your skin is to sunlight/tanning.Accutane does make it more dry and sensitive though.Im a tanning whore, i tanned through bp,SA,accutane,everything without any damage sometimes up to a few hours, my skin is so conditioned to tanning i dont get sunburn and i just turn pinkish and a little darker

Hi everyone -

I actually came to post a question about tanning and found this post...

I am going on a vacation to Costa Rica at the end of November...I will still be on accutane at that time. (the vacation was planned before I knew I would be on accutane :( ) Before I go on vacations where I'll be in the sun, I usually go tanning for a while before so when I get there I don't burn on the first day. I was wondering if I should go tanning before this vacation?

Jess - you say that going 5-6 minutes twice a week should be okay? I was going to try and go once for 5 min and see how my skin reacted...if it reacts badly I won't go, but if it seems okay I might try and go twice a week or something, just to get some color in my face/body.

Thoughts??

I think people should just listen to their skin. Before Accutane I used to fake-bake for 12 minutes sessions. I the summer I was out in the sun alot. After tane I was out in the sun all day once at a ball tourney with low UV rays that day, and my skin didn't accept the sun very well at all, but I could actually tell that my skin was a lot thinner and very fragile at that point of my treatment. Now that I can tell my skin is thicker and more back to normal, I tried fake baking for 10 minutes and it reacted just fine. Only each person to themselves knows how their skin reacts to the sun, so they should be the one to decide whether and how much to try. Just be smart and realistic about it.

ty had a good post sundance.... listen to your skin!

I wish I would have gone tanning before I went on vacation, but instead ended up buring (not badly though) when I ended up in the sun for a few hours!

5-6 minutes is nothing, and the tanning salon people might look at you like you are crazy, but screw them, it's your skin!

Be extra careful and wear a crazy high SPF while you are away, but don't bring your parka ;)

I started tannig beds a week before i finished tane, I got pretty red but nothing serious, I reckon a few more freckles came up to, not many though to notice. I still continue going to solarium, and have been off tane for nearly a month now