Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Peeps,

I'm pretty new here as in I have never posted on these forums before though I have seen the site a few times and read your msgs, so a big HELLO to you all. I have been on roaccutane now for 7 weeks. This was primarily for cystic & nodular acne which was relatively severe but only effected the t-zone region of the face and the cheeks, occasionally on the back, but more importantly has and is effecting my confidence. I have been effected with this for some 10 yrs now in terms of the acne being aggressive and it effecting me overall though it has gradually gotten more aggressive over the years despite several prolonged attempts with various anti-biotic and topical treatments, you name it I have tried it. I decided to take the plunge with RoAcc as the conditioon was effecting me way too much and there was no real alternative as far as I was concerned.

Right now being in my 7th week of a 120 day course (60mg per day) i guess it is early days still. I can say that generally it is working to some effect. I havent had a really big severe cyst for about a week now and am only getting the very occasional smaller milder spots. However existing spots/ cysts are taking a looooonngg time to heal up and areas of my face and forehead are red including existing spots. A few tiny blackheads or hard skin are appearing which appear to be scarring, but i guess i may just need to moisturize some more. To be honest my skin still looks pretty crap in a few areas and Im hoping to see a more consistent road to recovery soon. Just wondering what anyone elses experience was or is like. Any tips for during the course?

Also when i moisturize now i notice lumps of skin just rubbing off as i apply the moisturizer, is there any good way to exfoliate safely on accuatne as i know it is not advised in general.

Also any1 know if there is any problems with taking anti-histamines during RoAcc, I used some Beconaise nose spray a few days ago and had violent stomach ache the same days, with headaches and vomiting. I havent had this at all during or since this bout of sickness while on the RoAcc so I can only assume it was something I ate or possibly the beconaise and RoAcc causing a reaction.

Regards

AndD

alright, ive been on accutane for about 2 months now, and it seems to be working very nicely. The first month i was on 40 mgs a day, this month im on 60 mgs a day. I dont have very many side effects, sometimes dry lips and sometimes dry eyes. I was just wondering if switching from 60 mgs to 80 mgs would be a big difference side effects wise. And am i supposed to be taking the accutane before, during or after my meals?

thanks

so how long does accutane take to clear up skin?

and judging from above tips i should get a chemical peeling for hyperpigmentation before accutane cuz otherwise i wouldnt be able to do it until 6 months after? the hyperpigmentation is what really pisses me off

This is my first post and just had a few questions about accutane. I'm 25/f and have been on accutane for 32 days (40mg) now and was just wondering if anyone gets just whiteheads. I really don't get cysts, but just those little whiteheads. My skins also changes from day to day. One day it looks like things are going good, then the next day I have 5 new pimples, what is going on? I just want to know when I should expect some results. I mainly breakout around my jawline and chin and on my forehead.

so how long does accutane take to clear up skin?

It varies. Some people clear more or less immediately. Some people don't clear until AFTER the course is over. It's impossible to make a prediction about any individual course.

thanks beentheredonethat. i hope im one of those that takes a week. :D but if not hey i guess its all good if it clears up sometime

i just got done with my accutane treatment (about 8 months) and now i have scars on my face, is it ok to use mederma or whatever that thing is that is supposed to help scaring?

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have had cystic/nodular acne since I was 14 and underwent my first course of accutane when I was 30 and a second course 1 year later. Although I still suffer from cystic acne the break outs are no where near as they were before but enough that my new dermataologist is prescribing a third round of accutane. I am now 35.

For my first 2 rounds, my previous dermatologist prescribed 60mgs. per day and both treatments lasted 5 months. For my 3rd round I am getting 40mgs. and this treatment will be anywhere between 6 to 8 months. In addition my derm told me that for the last month he will reduce my intake to 40mg. every other day and he told me that after this round I will never have to worry about cystic acne again. I am very skeptical about this because it is my third time and also why such a low dose? I am 55 kgs.

Has anyone been on 3 or more rounds and has anyone had effective treatments on low doses?

Also any good recommendations for lip treatments with sunblock in it?

TIA and good luck to everyone taking accutane! :D

My god ALOT of you need to read this thread, the same questions have been answerd like 5 times in this thread. Its like a never ending thread of people asking the exact same questions.

My god ALOT of you need to read this thread, the same questions have been answerd like 5 times in this thread. Its like a never ending thread of people asking the exact same questions.

may be we should get one of the mods to edit out the chit chat and jus leave questions and answers at the start of the thread.

Hi my name is Lisa and I was suppose to get on accutane yesterday , but the lady at my docs office couldnt register me so she said she would try to register me today.. well she still couldn't.. then she left another message letting me know that I could not get on accutane until i got my anemia problem sorted out with a pcp.this really sux because I really wanted to get on accutane. I waited a whole month to start it and now I cant because some of my red blood cells are low. I have never even been diagnosed with anemic disorder. I am frustrated and want to take accutane. Does anyone know how you can get this over the internet without a prescription?? If anyone knows of a way please tell me. thankyou.

lisa

Hi my name is Lisa and I was suppose to get on accutane yesterday , but the lady at my docs office couldnt register me so she said she would try to register me today.. well she still couldn't.. then she left another message letting me know that I could not get on accutane until i got my anemia problem sorted out with a pcp.this really sux because I really wanted to get on accutane. I waited a whole month to start it and now I cant because some of my red blood cells are low. I have never even been diagnosed with anemic disorder. I am frustrated and want to take accutane. Does anyone know how you can get this over the internet without a prescription?? If anyone knows of a way please tell me. thankyou.

lisa

Don't buy accutane over the internet as you don't know what you are buying. Seriously its not a cleaver idea. All you need to do is get your anaemia under control with some iron tablets or whatever the doctor suggests and then go on accutane it my delay you starting for a few weeks but at least it will be safe. Please don't buy accutane with out a prescription.

I've been reading posts about accutane on this forum for quite a while. I see people going from one doctor to another trying to get the prescripton for accutane. I have a different situation which kind of makes me curious. I've always had acne problems. Since i started visiting derms, it went from mild to pretty bad :eh: I've tried all the tetracycline antibiotics. I took Prednisone for 3 months to lower the level of hormones. Now my new derm is PERSUADING me to start accutane. Every time i come in for an appointment he asks - so , have you thought about it? I dont want to start accutane. My acne is not even really cystic. And anyway - its not the reason for pushing me. I am just wondering - why some doctors are so reluctant to prescribe it, and some are live commercials for accutane? I honestly have a great desire to just quit everything - antibiotics, hormones, but afraid- once you start it, there's no way back... :unsure:

I've got this raised scar on my nose at the moment from a massive cyst that i had about 2 months ago.

they say roaccutane slows down the healing process. I dont know whether i should start tomorrow and see what happens or if i should wait for this to heal. i dont know what to do.

Hi, Im from New Zealand and have been on Accutane (we call it Roaccutane ova here ...same diff) since April 23rd. I started taking 10mg caps for 2 weeks and then 20mgs for 4 weeks and then went on to 40 mg daily.

I was wondering if anyone has been through a similar routine? I feel that my acne started to clear up when I was taking 20mg a day but since I started taking 40 a day which has been since June 14th, I feel that my acne is getting worse as I can see a lot more closed comedones forming and of course the normal monthly breakout is worse. Is this normal ? Are these little closed comedones gonna eventually go away? It looks like Ive got heaps of little bumps on face.

I also apply Differin at night, I used to put it on just the affected areas but now I put it all over my face except the eye and nostril area.

I am also finding my skin recently has been a lot more 'itchy'. I know that these are all side effects but has anyone had anything remotely similar? Is it gonna get any better. I feel like Ive been on Accutane forever and still there has been very little improvement. If I had to rate the improvement on a scale from 1-10 (1 being bad and 10 good) I'd say 1.5. I soooo hope my skin improves within time and hopefully some time soon!!!!!!

don't worry it's normal for your skin to get worse before it gets better. Mine did but now it's improving steadily so keep going with your treatment.

I've been on roaccutane for just over a month and I haven't decreased my alcohol intake! I just can't do it even though I am serious about my treatment. I'd say I am a binge drinker and was wondering if anyone else was a binge drinker while on the drug and what happened?

Accutane and smoking? I know smoking is bad for the health, but does it affect accutane's effectiveness?

Ive just started taking accutane 10mg 3 times a day

Im hoping this will make me so much happier with myself and give me confidence, finally get rid of acne!

I suggest u dont read any of the affects of accutane, alot of the affects dont appear you just mentally think they are appearin when its only ur mind playing games

All u gta think about is u cant wait for ur acne to go.

So dont read any of these side affects because all it does is make u think about , OH AM I GETTING HEADACHES, AM I GETTIN DEPRESSED and so on

Im very sure accutane is gonna work for me , well hopefully , Ive tried absolute everything ! any 1 else see results in the 1st 2 weeks ?

PS. I hate Acne

Guest emrtnz

I'm having the "accutane appointment" with my dermatologist next Tuesday, September 19th. I have a few questions on my mind, though. I'll probably find the answers to these questions during my appointment, but I'm impatient. Hahah.

- About how long after my appointment will I actually have Accutane in my hands? I've read that I first have to take blood tests and whatnot, and like I said before, I'm impatient. I was hoping I would obtain Accutane the day of my appointment.

- I'm currently taking Tetracycline (which isn't working); how many weeks before starting on Accutane should I stop taking Tetracycline (if there is a time limit)?

Any help would be appreciated it. Thanks in advance. ^_^

I'm having the "accutane appointment" with my dermatologist next Tuesday, September 19th. I have a few questions on my mind, though. I'll probably find the answers to these questions during my appointment, but I'm impatient. Hahah.

- About how long after my appointment will I actually have Accutane in my hands? I've read that I first have to take blood tests and whatnot, and like I said before, I'm impatient. I was hoping I would obtain Accutane the day of my appointment.

- I'm currently taking Tetracycline (which isn't working); how many weeks before starting on Accutane should I stop taking Tetracycline (if there is a time limit)?

I hate to break it to you, but since the ipledge program was impemented in the fall you have to do a number of things before you can get your prescription and it usually takes a month before you will get it. You have to register with the program, have labs done, have two negative pregancy tests, etc. I am finally getting mine at the end of the month hopefully. This will be my third round and it better last this time.

Good Luck.

got mine 3 days later after blood test

women have to wait a month after the first blood test, men can start right away.