Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it true you really can't kiss someone while on this due to your lips being so dry???

No it's not, if you moisturize your lips plenty you should be fine.

Good, I was a little concerned about that! :shock:

LIP BALM

While on tane, you want to avoid food and products rich in Vitamin A and especially retinol (that will transform into vitamin A in your body).

Biggest sources of retinol are:

- liver

- egg yolks

- some cereals (check the box)

- milk, cheese, butter, fortified

margarine

- fish oil from livers

- multivitamins

Biggest sources of carotenoids (which will transform into vitamin A, but the ratio is 12 times lower than retinol)

- sweet potatoes

- green leafy vegetables (spinach)

- ripe papaya, ripe mango

- pumpkin, cantaloupe

- carrots

Fruits and vegetables containing carotenoids are not that dangerous but if you want to be really careful, avoid them.

Eat what you want to eat...My derm never said much about DIET while taking Accutane. It just isn't as big of a deal as some seem to make it out to be. And the MILK thing, my prescription specifically says take with a glass of milk or a meal...so yeah...take that how you want I suppose. I've been on Accutane for a month and a half now by the way.

I'd say most of derms know very little about accutane (and acne in general). Try to avoid extra Vitamin A.

Milk is not recommended because, especially in the USA, is full of crap and with extra vitamins.

Is it true you really can't kiss someone while on this due to your lips being so dry???

No it's not, if you moisturize your lips plenty you should be fine.

Good, I was a little concerned about that! :shock:

LIP BALM

While on tane, you want to avoid food and products rich in Vitamin A and especially retinol (that will transform into vitamin A in your body).

Biggest sources of retinol are:

- liver

- egg yolks

- some cereals (check the box)

- milk, cheese, butter, fortified

margarine

- fish oil from livers

- multivitamins

Biggest sources of carotenoids (which will transform into vitamin A, but the ratio is 12 times lower than retinol)

- sweet potatoes

- green leafy vegetables (spinach)

- ripe papaya, ripe mango

- pumpkin, cantaloupe

- carrots

Fruits and vegetables containing carotenoids are not that dangerous but if you want to be really careful, avoid them.

Eat what you want to eat...My derm never said much about DIET while taking Accutane. It just isn't as big of a deal as some seem to make it out to be. And the MILK thing, my prescription specifically says take with a glass of milk or a meal...so yeah...take that how you want I suppose. I've been on Accutane for a month and a half now by the way.

I'd say most of derms know very little about accutane (and acne in general). Try to avoid extra Vitamin A.

Milk is not recommended because, especially in the USA, is full of crap and with extra vitamins.

I have been on tane for a week now nd my lips are getting really chapped (dry skin isn't so bad yet) I have tried using Chapstick so far and it causes little zits to break out all around my lips, anyone know of any lip product that works and doesn't cause you to break out?

Everybody is different. I am using Neutrogena SPF 15 balm, bebe and vaseline (night) and all are ok for me.

Hey All. I have a question. I was just given the okay to take accutane. I have done all the paperwork for the iPLEDGE program and taken all the tests. I have script in hand. I need to wait until the Derm registers me on-line (hopefully this evening). I'm her first female pt involved in iPLEDGE. Are there any females out there who are required to register?? If the Derm registers me how do I know what my password is?? Just curious. I can't fill the script until this is sorted out. Thanks for any help you can offer. :D

Oh God, I'm so glad I found this site. This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it in the right forum area. I'm on my third month of Roaccutane (thats what we call it in Oz) and I am just going nuts. I have all the side effects (major dry skin, major dry mouth and consequent bad breath, disgustingly crusty lips, itchy, delicate non-healing skin) yet my skin hasn't cleared yet.

I have a few questions.

1. Did anyone get skin tags? (I don't know if thats what everyone calls them, but you know those little extraneous growths of skin?) I never used to have them, and now I have parades of them down my chest. I haven't read of them in any of the side effect lists, so I'm wondering if it's normal/nothing to worry about, or if it's something I should see my dermo about?

2. Is it normal to really not have cleared by month 3?

3. I can't stop picking at it. It makes me so angry and upset that I just attack my skin. I really know I shouldn't, but I don't know how to stop, and sometimes the pimples just get so big and pussy that they are embarassing (moreso than the rest of my horrid pimples) and I just want to make them go away. Bloody hell.

4. In terms of dietary effects on skin, has anyone noticed these effects whilst they've been on roaccutane? Is it worth totally cutting out dairy and sugar whilst on it?

5. I feel so incredibly stupid for getting so upset about my skin when there are people out their starving/dying/orphaned etc, but it is so difficult. I am also really frustrated that you pretty much just have to sit back and wait for things to change. How do others deal with the incredible frustration of just having to be passive? Patience has never been my strongest point!

6. I have these weird pimples that are sub-dermal bumps (like under the surface lumps of sebum) that have been there for years, it's like they can't find the exit door of my pores or something, so in the case of those been-there-forever-hard-little-bumps, I find it really difficult to not pick at them because they're like permanent fixtures and if I don't excavate them they'll never leave (so goes the voice in my head). Has anyone else had this type of pimple and its consequent problem and how did they deal with it? The little bumps are so hard (and, as my mother likes to say, 'tenacious') I swear that if I didn't 'help them along' they'd stick around to see my future grandchildren.

I am so glad I found this site. Today I nearly went crazy.

9. HAVE FUN!! ITS JUST ACNE!!!

10. Honestly people...one thing that gave me strength was seeing all the things out there that acne could never even come close to being compared to like the blind, the deaf, people with deformations, the handicapped, burnt victims, people dying... when you see something like that and you take a good look at your sad face in the mirror...do you really have the right to be so sad for yourself? I dont think so...so suck it up ....and hope for the best....good luck everyone

Thanks for adding your tips. Most of the info was good, but I don't entirely agree with the above sentiments. The scarring on my body has been compared by my plastic surgeon to that of a burns victim, so it is difficult for me to take the attitude of 'oh well it's just acne'.

Also, many people here are aware that there are people much worse off than us. We can be filled with sympathy and admiration for those people, but this doesn't make it any easier for most people to handle their acne. There have been a lot of threads along these lines in the emotional effects forum.

If any of the people reading this thread are of the opinion 'it's just acne' I don't think they should consider taking roaccutane/accutane. It's a serious drug. You shouldn't just take it for the hell of it. :neutral:

I completely agree. There may be people put their who are much worse off, but I don't think that I could have ever imagined until now the psychological effects having such horrible acne would have on me. This is our reality and it can not be compared to others who are completely different circumstances. Truly I would rather go back in time to the horribly disgusting feeling I had for so long after finding out my ex boyfrien had cheated on me if my skin could be clear. No fucking joke. I've never felt so low as I do now. Truly

Hey, I am a new member and this is my first posting. I really just have a question about accutane. I have been on it twice before and had wonderful results that lasted about 2-3 yrs after each course. However, I need it again because I started breaking out really bad over the last year. The problem is, that I caused scars on my face from picking at the acne and I have recently over the last few months had punch excision to remove them. I know accutane can cause keloid scarring and you should wait 6months to a year before starting treatment for scars, but what if you already treated the scars and need to start accutane? I guess my question is how long should I wait after getting my last scar revision done before starting accutane? Is the time frame the same? One dermatologist doesn't want me to start accutane for a year, and another dermatologist I saw said to wait 6 weeks or maybe a little longer for the scars to heal and then he would put me on accutane. Sorry for such a long posting, I am just a little worried about causing keloids on my face!! Any info would be helpful, thanks in advance!~ Suzanne

I am thinking about going onn accutane. I was wondering could you tell me or anyone for that matter, did you suffer from severe initial breakouts when first going on accutane? Also how bad was your skin to begin with and if you did break out how much worse did it get? how long until you started to see really good results from accutane? or even noticable results???

I have been on Accutane for 2 weeks now. I have had some breakouts, but nothing severe. I have noticed my lips are very dry, but other than that nothing too bad. I use Carmex on my lips and it tends to cause breakouts around my lips. Other than that, nothing too bad yet. Hoping to be clear soon!

Hey, i suggest using Medicated Chapstick, works wonders for my lip and im on acutane, and its easier to apply and doesnt have the shinyness

I have been on accutane for a month now and I look HORRIBLE. My skin looks like it is boiling on my cheeks. I am afraid of getting massive scars and I am totally depressed, but I think it's because anyone with skin like this would feel like hell. I am in a health professions school and will start seeing my first patients in a few weeks and I will have ZERO confidence if my condition doesn't improve like right now. What is with every single medication causing severe breakouts that last for months before there's any improvement? I am so scared too because this is just a horrific drug for your body. I am actually skipping class right now because I am too embarrassed to go. This sucks so much I can not even begin to explain.

I'm on about my 4th week of accutane and I too had back pain almost immediately. I haven't done anything about it because, honestly, I don't want someone to tell me to stop. I've beared with it and now I don't have too much. Just try not to get sucked into the hype, mind over matter is how I'm going about it. My parents are really worried but I've been really open with my friends and my boyfriend so they are watching to me to make sure none of the more serious side effects kick in. Just hang in there. I'm sure it will get better.

Merch

Hello, I'm sorry if this is repeating something thats been asked before. But I read that there can be reproductive problems. I'm a 17 year old female, and I do want to have children in the future... could accutane cause me to have any problems with that??

Hi, i was just wondering how serious your acne has to be before you can get prescribed roaccutane? I ALWAYS have spots on my face, although it is not that serious. However, i have tried tonnes of other mediacation, like minocin-MR (minocyline), zineryt, stiemcylin solution and benzoyl peroxide, and my skin is still not clear, or any better after taking these. I really want perfect skin to improve my confidence, as sometimes i do not even want to go out, as i dont want people to see me with bad skin...if i expalin the psychological affects that acne is having on me to my doctor and a dermatologist, will they prescribe me it?

Perhaps. I have mild put persistant acne and I was prescribed accutane without even asking for it. I have heard, the younger the derm, the better.

Hi.

I just finished my 4th month of accutane about to start my 5th. Because of the stupid ipledge program, I just found out that i'm not allowed to start my last round for 3 weeks. Do you think i'll break out in that time? :doubt: I'm Worried!

Hi.

I just finished my 4th month of accutane about to start my 5th. Because of the stupid ipledge program, I just found out that i'm not allowed to start my last round for 3 weeks. Do you think i'll break out in that time? :doubt: I'm Worried!

No I don't think you will, because accutane will still be in your system.

Acne is such a stupid little problem!!!! Why hasn't anyone found "THE CURE".

I notice that there are quite a few people who have been on accutane more than once. It seems to work for a few years after, but comes back. (I am on it myself for a second time)

What is different about those people that have clear skin??? Come on! they have hormones too! And if it's hormones, why didn't my acne clear up when I was one the BC pill??? What makes us acne sufferers different and why can't researchers find a simple cure?

Not one person in my family has this problem but ME. My mom has great skin. WHAT HAPPENED TO ME???

I am on accutane again because that is the only thing that ever worked. Even if it was for just a couple of years at a time. I hate having a crappy complexion. People view bad skin as a reflection of poor health. I also hate it when clear skinned people give you their hygene advice as if you didn't take care of yourself properly. They swear by their creams, soaps, and other topical remedies that don't do CRAP for someone who is truly inflicted with cronic acne.

I drink lots of water. I eat healthy. I work out. I have good hygene. What the hell???!!!

So, Accutane. Here we go again. I'm loading more poison into my body in the hopes that I at least appear healthy on the outside if only for a couple of years at a time. I'm not kidding myself. This stuff is horrible to our bodies. But I've litterally tried everything else.

Stop masturbation

Great post! I'm so gonna be broke as hell as soon as I get on this. LOL.

I have a few questions. Those minor side affects, yellowing of the teeth & hair loss. Does your hair grow back after the course? BC I have thin hair. And your teeth, will they always stay yellow????

And for those who took Accutane, how long did was/has your skin been cleared for?

I have a few questions. Those minor side affects, yellowing of the teeth & hair loss. Does your hair grow back after the course? BC I have thin hair. And your teeth, will they always stay yellow????

And for those who took Accutane, how long did was/has your skin been cleared for?

I would also like to know this, please someone post.

I read somewhere that taking Biotin helps with the hair thinning, it prevents it. Where to get it and is it safe while on accutane? :wall::(:mad:

If you lose hair in during your course it'll grow back after. And I didn't even know yellowing of the teeth was side effect, I didn't have any side effects other than dry lips and dry skin. I've been clear for over a year now.

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I don't think my back acne or chest is that bad anymore, but it doesn really bother me. Like one dude pointed out earlier, i haven't been swimming for nearly 6-7 years becuase of it, and i'm 21. I don't take my shirt off in front of ANYONE except my gf and my mum. Both of which i still feel slightly uncomfortable, i have this feeling their staring.

I have shown my gf and she helps me out a lot with support and love. it's the greatest feeling knowing someone loves you and doesnt hate you for some thing you hate yourself for. In fact, she says she loves me more for sharing something i find so emotionally upsetting with her.

I'm currently talking roaccutane...in my second month now, not sure how its going to be honest, it dries out your skin a lot, still havea few spots on my back, about 10 live ones, but there very small now, and any other ar unpainful and dried over kinda thing. it's just scarring thats making it look worse than it is.

the roaccutane kinda made my face abit worse, like my face was pretty fine (used to be seriously bad when i was younger), but im not to fussed about spots on my face, i think its were the roaccutane is in my body its getting all the shit out or something, cause after the spots go, and i moisturise, the skin becomes lovely and soft and spot free, makes me so happy =D... got two months left, just started my two pills a day with the second month, and moving up to three pills a day on the third month... lookin forward to seeing how it goes.... one word of warning is dry skin, be prepared to moisturise, i have to moisturise all up my arms and and legs and face, and HAVE to use lip vaseline man, cant go anywhere with out it or lips go cracked to fukk..

anyways, its glad to be in a place where i can talk about it... never really told anyone about it

and p.s. that whole shirts and no shirts at sports, i know ho you feel man, shit gets me depressed everytime =(

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding Accutane.

I know Accutane works from the outside in by targeting sebaceous glands to reduce oil production, right? (If I'm wrong, please correct me) But my skin is not oily; in fact, it is quite dry- even my t-zone most of the time. Since my acne is most likely due to a hormonal imbalance, I'm probably going to try going on the pill after I have surgery. But if that doesn't work, does anyone think Accutane will still work for me, even though my skin isn't oily? My condition is mild but persistant, and I don't want to start college feeling self-concious because of this ridiculous condition that popped up (literally) out of nowhere. So I'm researching all kinds of options here. Any thoughts would be helpful!