Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know that it was posted in here, but there was no clear answer. How much would it be in the US, on average say, for a 6 month cycle? people who live in the US if you would be so kind as to chime in on what it would of/did cost you.

So, my entire face is clear except for a small cyst above my lip.

My derm saw me and suggested I go on accutane.

Are you freaking kidding me?

It cost me 10$ copays (insurance) per refill every 30 days, and 10$ copay for the doc vistit to get my blood drawn and checked, so 20$ a month, so about 120$ all together for 6 months

It cost me 10$ copays (insurance) per refill every 30 days, and 10$ copay for the doc vistit to get my blood drawn and checked, so 20$ a month, so about 120$ all together for 6 months

Awesome thanks for the info. Does just having regular health insurance work for this?

Awesome thanks for the info. Does just having regular health insurance work for this?

Umm, i think so, mines just Primera Blue cross insurane provided by my Moms job (secretary for the county)

I know that it was posted in here, but there was no clear answer. How much would it be in the US, on average say, for a 6 month cycle? people who live in the US if you would be so kind as to chime in on what it would of/did cost you.

You are the only one who can find out how much it's going to cost you. Insurance coverage varies WIDELY and what one plan covers won't be the same as another plan, often even plans offered by the same insurance company. Some will cover the blood work and doctor visits at some percentage, or require a low co pay, or not at all. Some won't cover any prescription, or not Accutane in particular, or only generic, on percentage or copay. Call your insurance company or read your booklet. What it costs me is almost guaranteed to have no bearing on what it costs you.

If you have to pay out of pocket, 30 pills (one month if you only need one dosage) runs about $280 for generic without insurance, and if you need a stacked dosage (a dose that requires multiple pills a day instead of just one) then you'll have to pay that for each 30 pill pack you need. I can't even imagine how much the brand will run.

Today is mt first day on Accutane! Other meds cleared my acne up about 70%, but they did nothing for the cystic acne, which is persistant especially on my chin. I'm really worried that they'll get bigger and more painful as the treatment goes on. Had anyone else had this happen to them with cystic acne? Also what foods are high in vitamin A? thanks.

Is it normal to experience a breakout each time you increase your dosage? I was on 40 mg and hadn't gotten a new pimple for about a month. Then when I switched to 60 mg I started seeing a few new spots. No major breakout or anything, but I was wondering if this is a common reaction to an increased dosage.

Sex & Accutane..

Do you find their skin to be super sensitive, itchy after sex?

Sometimes I feel like I'm going to break out

Sex & Accutane..

Do you find their skin to be super sensitive, itchy after sex?

Sometimes I feel like I'm going to break out

yes!

I'm gonna pay like $1500 (No insurance) for a 5 months cycle of 80 mgs a day.

didn't read all nine pages of the thread, but i just thought i'd share my experiences with Accutane; i'll try to make my response short and to the point. if i'm posting in the wrong thread, please forgive me.

condition before accutane: cystic acne, i weigh approx. 120 lbs and i'm a male. non drinker (at the time), nonsmoker, meat eater with a physically demanding job, not sexually active (the whooooole three years i was on it...i was a nerd in high school).

dosage: 50mg, then 60 mg the second time i was on it, 60 mg the third time i was on it. $10 copay for doctor visits, another $10 for the prescription.

Results: for me, it worked great while i was on it. there is an initial break out, but it's only about 2% more severe than the break outs i have anyway, and the results were worth it. after about 8-10 months, break outs return. nowhere near as severe as before...the occasional cystic one, and there are enough whiteheads that i feel self conscious about social events.

Side effects: yep, it dries the living f$%k out of your skin. i never leave the house without chapstick, and i've been off of Accutane for about a year and a half now (and the breakouts are back). nose bleeds also occur as the inside of the nostrils get dry. allergy season is a bitch when you're on accutane.

History: I've been on it THREE TIMES over the course of three and a half years, from age 17 to 20, if I remember correctly. Ages 14-16 were spent battling acne with minocycline, erythromycin, etcetc, all the crap the doctors put you on before Accutane. tried proactiv and a few other facial cleansers to little avail, perhaps due to my lack of discipline insofar as sticking to a routine.

When breakouts occured after the first round of accutane, my dermatologist ran through the formalities of giving me a round of erythromycin again, but of course that didn't work, so i was back on the accutane, this time at a higher dosage. the second round did its job while i was on it, but break outs returned again in later months. the quack dermatologist prescribed Accutane to me a third time, but warned that i might get "ankle spurs" a few decades down the road (but also said that the chances of this were slim). i signed the waiver and started the medication again, this time under a generic brand, as my pharmacy no longer provided the Accutane name brand. Side effects of dryness and nose bleeds were more pronounced with this generic brand...not sure if it's due to the brand or due to the fact that i've been on it three times; i'm assuming it's the latter.

i've been off of accutane for about a year and a half now, and my breakouts are back again. getting on accutane a fourth time is not an option for numerous reasons, mainly due to the fact that i am not prepared to deal with side effects that may arise from using Accutane four times.

so where i am now is i'm looking into blue/red light therapy, do a search on the forums if you don't know what i'm talking about. i looked into acupuncture, but the firsthand experiences i found seemed unpromising. if i get into the blue light therapy, i'll be sure to diligently follow a routine and post pictures of my progress.

in retrospect: i don't regret taking accutane at all, in spite of the side effects and cost. it wasn't a total cure, but it worked great.

OK I really need answers!

1. Benzoyl Peroxide and Accutane good or bad?

2. When you hit a break out, I'm on my second, how long should it take before the break out goes away? My face is F'd up still from my first breakout, and now a second one is just topping it off.

Btw I'm doing 40mg every other day.

It took me 4 months before i saw any results on my first round of accutane, the wonderful thing is while ur on it u can eat whatever you want and you wont get a zit, lol, DO NOT USE BP when on accutane, your face will get irritated, dry, and red and may break out even worse

Hey-lo, everybody, I'm fifteen years old, and I joined this site when I last visited my dermatologist. He put me on "Amnesteem" or isotretinoin, (I think it's a generic brand of Accutane) Any who, I had no idea what accutane or isotretinoin was, but I definitely knew what a needle was, and I had to get a blood test, and go to counseling with a gynocologist. Boy, it was embarassing telling my academic team coach that I missed practice because of a "contraception counseling" session (Actually, I just said I had a doctor's appt.)

Anyway, as someone on the academic team, I wasn't about to let something I was about to begin to ingest to go uninvestigated by me. I started doing all sorts of research, heard success story after success story, and horror story after horror story, studied the science behind isotretinoin, etc. But, this sit has been one of my favorite discoveries on my little quest for knowledge.

Well, I'm on my sixth day of Amnesteem and my skin is dry. But, I haven't had too bad of a breakout. I was scared about getting depressed while on isotretinoin, because it recurrs in my family, but I can be peppy!! Also, my friends help me out!

I already feel like you all are part of my family,

My ACNE FAMILY!!

mucho loveo,

Elizabeth : go to my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/universalwhisper

Hi all

Today I went to my dermatologist and picked up accutane. He prescribed me 40mg per day. I just can't wait to see what this drug can do.

The only thing I'm worried about is JOINT PAIN. Does anyone taken accutane and experianced long term joint pain after the drug is used?

Thanks

May God watch you all while on this drug :angel:

Hey, I'm about to go on accutane. Naturally, I'm terrified! But, anyway... Does insurance cover the drug? And if so, which companies?

Thanks~

Hey, I'm about to go on accutane. Naturally, I'm terrified! But, anyway... Does insurance cover the drug? And if so, which companies?

Thanks~

Most insurance companies cover the drug. Get the generic version of accutane (amnesteem).

It works the same way.

Good Luck

Dan

While on tane, you want to avoid food and products rich in Vitamin A and especially retinol (that will transform into vitamin A in your body).

Biggest sources of retinol are:

- liver

- egg yolks

- some cereals (check the box)

- milk, cheese, butter, fortified

margarine

- fish oil from livers

- multivitamins

Biggest sources of carotenoids (which will transform into vitamin A, but the ratio is 12 times lower than retinol)

- sweet potatoes

- green leafy vegetables (spinach)

- ripe papaya, ripe mango

- pumpkin, cantaloupe

- carrots

Fruits and vegetables containing carotenoids are not that dangerous but if you want to be really careful, avoid them.

While on tane, you want to avoid food and products rich in Vitamin A and especially retinol (that will transform into vitamin A in your body).

Biggest sources of retinol are:

- liver

- egg yolks

- some cereals (check the box)

- milk, cheese, butter, fortified

margarine

- fish oil from livers

- multivitamins

Biggest sources of carotenoids (which will transform into vitamin A, but the ratio is 12 times lower than retinol)

- sweet potatoes

- green leafy vegetables (spinach)

- ripe papaya, ripe mango

- pumpkin, cantaloupe

- carrots

Fruits and vegetables containing carotenoids are not that dangerous but if you want to be really careful, avoid them.

Eat what you want to eat...My derm never said much about DIET while taking Accutane. It just isn't as big of a deal as some seem to make it out to be. And the MILK thing, my prescription specifically says take with a glass of milk or a meal...so yeah...take that how you want I suppose. I've been on Accutane for a month and a half now by the way.

Third day on Accutane, 80 mg a day total (40 mg twice a day) So far only mild stomach upset (which milk seems to help) and mild muscle soreness. Also had some really cool and most vivid dreams I have ever had last night, wow, they were incredible! No dry skin yet but I have purchased Cetaphil and a saline solution for dry noses (to prevent nosebleeds) as well as some chapstick with spf15. Is it true you really can't kiss someone while on this due to your lips being so dry???

Is it true you really can't kiss someone while on this due to your lips being so dry???

No it's not, if you moisturize your lips plenty you should be fine.

Is it true you really can't kiss someone while on this due to your lips being so dry???

No it's not, if you moisturize your lips plenty you should be fine.

Good, I was a little concerned about that! :shock: