Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

awesome. im excited to take this, so I can finally get rid of them!

I just really hope it works for me, if it doesn't.. I have nothing else to do then just deal with it sad.gif

well thanks for the comments

awesome. im excited to take this, so I can finally get rid of them!

I just really hope it works for me, if it doesn't.. I have nothing else to do then just deal with it sad.gif

well thanks for the comments

Youve only tried some topical, I would be willing to bet that your derm is gonna make you take antibiotics first before getting you on acuatane.

Guest fatallyours

i just started Accutane 3 days ago, i was wondering since you can't have cosmetic procedures like dermabrasion for up to 6 months after the course, does this also apply to face scrubs? i normally use MAC's Microfine Refinisher 2-3 times a week.

To allay some fears, I was on Accutane for 4 1/2 months, drinking copious amounts of alcohol. I even had mononucleosis for a couple weeks while taking Accutane, which, as some of you may know, adversely effects the liver. So, despite being a lush and having mono, my liver function stayed normal throughout. I have had severely dry lips, and my recommendation, as stated above, is Aquaphor. I use it basically at nights, and Chapstick Lip Moisturizer during the day.

I do have a question, though. I've been off Accutane for about a week. How long can I expect the side effects (particularly the dry lips) to last? As I understand it, the half life of isotretinoin is about 21 hours. Even assuming the side effects lag behind, I wouldn't expect side effects to still be present. Any ideas? Experiences?

Ok, I have an unusual question for my first post:

I know about Isotronin drying out skin - all skin, including chapping lips. Or does it?

Has anyone heard of it's effect on the ol' girl and boy parts? One can answer this non-graphically. I know it's a personal thing to bust out on a message board, but I think it's a relevant question; I've seen a roomate have mini-panic attacks, not knowing if they should be worried, but who never actually asked. Now that I've started the drug, I demand answers! *pounds fist on table* ;)

Edited by -E-

i have a question about accutane.

why do they only put you on it for a few months. doesnt your skin just go back to the way it was after you go off it?

lol MikeDavies ive just been wondering the same thing

once your off Accutane and say after a couple of months does your Acne come back or can be forever gone?

also while people was on the Accutane did you just rinse your face with water and apply Moisturizer and that was it ?

and if your Doctor says no he wont put you on Accutane what can you do to be put onit? can you buy it if your Doctor wont put you onit ?

Im just asking theese Questions because if Dans Regimen dont clear my Mild acne on my forehead i would go and speak with my Doctor about this but hey hopefully Dans Regimen will work :)

I know about Isotronin drying out skin - all skin, including chapping lips. Or does it?

Has anyone heard of it's effect on the ol' girl and boy parts? One can answer this non-graphically. I know it's a personal thing to bust out on a message board, but I think it's a relevant question; I've seen a roomate have mini-panic attacks, not knowing if they should be worried, but who never actually asked. Now that I've started the drug, I demand answers! *pounds fist on table* ;)

Uh, yeah, my girl parts have dried out a bit......

Hi guys, my roaccutane pills came in with 20mg/pill , my derm told me to take 60mgs a day , morning and evening, how do u think i should take it ??

Hi guys, my roaccutane pills came in with 20mg/pill , my derm told me to take 60mgs a day , morning and evening, how do u think i should take it ??

My derm told me if my stomach could handle it I could take both of my 40 mg pills at the same time (I'm on an 80 mg dose). Thus far, no problems!

Hey people!

I've just been pescribed Accutane...am quite excited but fairly apprehensive as well. Thanks for all the advice but just have few more questions. I work in a pub...a pretty public job and so I ALWAYS wear makeup to avoid putting the customers of their drink! Is it ok to carry on wearing makeup on Accutane?? Also do you think it is ok to start taking the pill (diannette) and Accutane at the same time? I'm supposed to have been on the pill a month beforehand yet haven't and don't want to delay taking Accutane for any longer.

Thanks for help

Hey people!

I work in a pub...a pretty public job and so I ALWAYS wear makeup to avoid putting the customers of their drink! Is it ok to carry on wearing makeup on Accutane?? Also do you think it is ok to start taking the pill (diannette) and Accutane at the same time? I'm supposed to have been on the pill a month beforehand yet haven't and don't want to delay taking Accutane for any longer.

Thanks for help

It is fine to wear make-up while on accutane and it is almost always a requirement for females to be on birth control while taking accutane, especially if your sexually active. So, in other words, yes, start taking the bcp as soon as possible, even if your not sexually active it will have no effect on the 'tane.

Hi -E-, In addition to drying out the skin, Accutane can cause severe dryness in any area that may be considered a mucous membrane, which, sadly for those of us on Accutane, includes the genitalia and the anus, in addition of course to the nostrils and lips. If you are experiencing a great deal of discomfort as a result of nether-region dryness, I would recommend mentioning it to your doctor, who may be able to suggest a topical treatment to alleviate your symptoms. I know it can be embarrassing to discuss these side effects with your doctor, particularly if you have a doctor who is of the opposite sex, but I assure you that he or she has heard it before and will not so much as bat an eyelash at the thought. No need to be embarrassed!

To allay some fears, I was on Accutane for 4 1/2 months, drinking copious amounts of alcohol. I even had mononucleosis for a couple weeks while taking Accutane, which, as some of you may know, adversely effects the liver. So, despite being a lush and having mono, my liver function stayed normal throughout. I have had severely dry lips, and my recommendation, as stated above, is Aquaphor. I use it basically at nights, and Chapstick Lip Moisturizer during the day.

I do have a question, though. I've been off Accutane for about a week. How long can I expect the side effects (particularly the dry lips) to last? As I understand it, the half life of isotretinoin is about 21 hours. Even assuming the side effects lag behind, I wouldn't expect side effects to still be present. Any ideas? Experiences?

First of all, to all those out there thinking, "great, I can drink as much as I want!" I would say, umm, not such a great idea. True, alcohol is not known to have any contraindications with Accutane. In other words, alcohol does NOT make Accutane less effective.

HOWEVER, alcohol in large amounts is incredibly taxing on the liver, as is Accutane. Why make your liver work harder than it has to? A beer or a glass of wine a few times a week is fine, but it's about moderation. Also remember that alcohol is a depressant; in light of the fact that Accutane can cause depression in some individuals, it should be clear that the combination of large amounts of alcohol and Accutane is not advisable.

To answer your question about side effects, the first time I took Accutane I had to go off of it after my first month due to what my doctor thought might be signs of a serious side effect (I was having intense abdominal pain). Well, the abdominal pain ended up being completely unrelated (it turns out that I one of thousands of Americans who suffer from IBS), but I found that it took about 10-14 days for the majority of the dryness to subside. After that my lips went back to normal and my skin was no longer dry and flaking. As with anything, the amount of time it takes the body to fully recover will vary between individuals.

Hi, I'm five days into Accutane, and I still have oily skin. Is this normal? And if so, when should I start to see the skin drying out?

Hi, I'm five days into Accutane, and I still have oily skin. Is this normal? And if so, when should I start to see the skin drying out?

Hi Faye316,

The oiliness can linger for a few weeks after starting on Accutane. A lot of it has to do with the dose you're on and how oily your skin is to begin with. Personally, it took about two weeks for me to notice a difference in oiliness. Be aware, though, that it usually takes longer than this to notice a significant decrease in the acne itself. Many patients don't see a difference at all for several months. Stick through it, it'll be worth it in the end!

Hi Faye316,

The oiliness can linger for a few weeks after starting on Accutane. A lot of it has to do with the dose you're on and how oily your skin is to begin with. Personally, it took about two weeks for me to notice a difference in oiliness. Be aware, though, that it usually takes longer than this to notice a significant decrease in the acne itself. Many patients don't see a difference at all for several months. Stick through it, it'll be worth it in the end!

Thank you for replying. My skin does seem a little less oily after eight days, and I've already seen a reduction in acne.

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you! As a head's up, try not to get too discouraged if your acne seems to start getting better, then gets worse again; acne is cyclic in nature, so many people (including myself) see this frustrating cycle happen quite a few times while on the Accutane. Everyone is different, and you may be one of the lucky ones who sees improvement quickly. Either way, best of luck and keep us posted on how it's going for you!

I didnt wanna go through ALL the pages, But my derm told me that accutane responds well and works faster if you eat things high in fat, such as Whole milk, and cheese, and what not, i wasnt getting much results, i started on whole milk and high fat icecream and it seemed to help

My Dermatologist and I went through the entire list of medications and the last of which was Acutane. This was in '93 or '94. I had horrible acne! I was the acne poster child... But after very high doses of Acutane for 9 months, the curse was finally lifted. I would definately recommend a fragrance-free natural skin lotion and never leave home without Carmex! The course of the treatment is very uncomfortable and you won't see results for several months, but it does work. You have to take the drug each day, without fail. Take this only if you have very, very bad acne. Stick with it and you will be very pleased with the results. 10 years later and I have had no extreme breakouts since and no long term side effects, yet...

Hi i had a question here. I was on accutane for about i think 4 or 5 months somthing like that. whatever the normal time was, and everything sounds like everyone elses experinces dried lips etc. But i had lower back pain alot when i was on it. and now im off of it and still have back pain??? but its werid it only realy hurts whenever i lay down at night for about the first ten mintutes, then my muslces seem to relax and everything is alright? i have been off the accutane probably for almost 8 months or more and its still this way. i cant quite remeber if it was exactly like this when i was on the medicine or not. But i have been going to the chriopractor etc. and getting xrays and she thought it was a pinched nerve and has been cracking my back for almost a month now and i still haveent realy noticed an improvement, and she thinks it wouldnt be from the medicine. But i know i never had back pain until i started using accutane, and was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or if anyone could inform me on any information on this. by the way im a 19 year old male if that has anything to do with it. any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I didnt wanna go through ALL the pages, But my derm told me that accutane responds well and works faster if you eat things high in fat, such as Whole milk, and cheese, and what not, i wasnt getting much results, i started on whole milk and high fat icecream and it seemed to help

Hi Prospeeder,

Accutane is best absorbed when it is taken right after having consumed a meal with a good amount of fat in it. However, it is not necessary to increase your fat intake over the course of the rest of the day. Personally I do not recommend increasing your overall fat intake, as a diet that is high in fat in general is definitely detrimental to your health. The best thing to do is to try to limit your fat intake during the rest of the day, then eat something that is higher in fat for the meal after which you plan to take the Accutane.

i have been off the accutane probably for almost 8 months or more and its still this way. i cant quite remeber if it was exactly like this when i was on the medicine or not.

I know what you mean. I'm fairly sure that my lower back aches are related to my first Accutane course, although it was so long ago that i can't be positive that i had no pain before the course.

At any rate, fish oil supplements seem to help a lot. Accutane can dry up not only your skin, but the fluids and connective tissue that cushion your bones. Many people on this forum, myself included, report that their joint pain is eased with fish oil supplementation. Look for the "odorless" type and try taking them according to the instructions on the bottle - usually 1 or 2 pills twice daily with meals. I take one a day with my Accutane dose and it seems to make a big difference for me.

And just for future reference - you will get faster responses and more of them if you make your own thread for your questions.