Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

Accutane hasn't been around that long, how do they its permanent??

Guest ThereIsHope

I was just thinking, accutane is supposed to put your acne into a PERMANENT remission, but accutane has only been around for about 25 years right? I mean, i'm not saying that it doesnt put alot of people into permanant remission, it just seems odd to me that they say that and its a relatively "new" drug.....

it doesn't always put your acne into permanent remission. some people have taken it and their acne has never come back so i guess that's what they mean by permanent. still 1982 was pretty long ago. so if peoples acne didn't come back since 1982 chances are it's not coming back.

only a % of people go into perm remission..... I think there was an actual number of years that was labelled permanent though, I believe 10.

only a % of people go into perm remission..... I think there was an actual number of years that was labelled permanent though, I believe 10.

my derm told me it "cures" about half the people who take it after one course.

my derm told me it "cures" about half the people who take it after one course.

yup, that's right. It really depends on the dosage though. On the correct dose it's supposed to be around 60% clear for good after 1 run.

*crosses fingers* - I hope I'm part of the 60%!!!!!!!!

:dance:

Roche does not claim that it will give everyone permanent remission. There are some statistics given for "long-term (greater than one year) or permanent" remissions, and Accutane has been on the market for upwards of twenty years.

Yes it is 60% after 1 course and 90% after 2 courses. The reason also many people are permanently cured, is because accutane bought them time to outgrow acne! For example, my uncle's acne was severe and he took it like at age 21, now he is 31 and clear skin, I guess during those years since his hormones been settled down, being an adult and all and plus only like 5% of males continue to have acne after 25, this shows that he probably would have outgrown acne sometime and he is cured and I sincerely doubt this acne will come back.

So the older you are when you take it the more successful it is and chances are low it comes back?

So the older you are when you take it the more successful it is and chances are low it comes back?

Mostly for adult males, your chances of permanent remission are high, hell like 80% and above. But if you are an adult female your chances of relapse are even higher then teenagers but only if it's a hormonal thing. Now you are gonna say all acne is hormonal, that's wrong. Sometimes when you have teen acne and your skin is just so sensitive your acne can continue into adulthood even if your hormones are very well settled down.

Mostly for adult males, your chances of permanent remission are high, hell like 80% and above. But if you are an adult female your chances of relapse are even higher then teenagers but only if it's a hormonal thing. Now you are gonna say all acne is hormonal, that's wrong. Sometimes when you have teen acne and your skin is just so sensitive your acne can continue into adulthood even if your hormones are very well settled down.

does 19 count as adult acne if i didn't develop it until this year?(no acne throughout highschool.)

do you think someone like me has a low chance of relapse?

does 19 count as adult acne if i didn't develop it until this year?(no acne throughout highschool.)

Actually they start out with 20, since 19=nineteen=teen lol. And you are a male who got acne at age 19? Poor you, just at the time when it goes away for most people you got it. But anyways, 19 is a good age as well a lot better then 15-16 were your hormones are raging. I just turned 20 years 10 days ago, and I finishied my treatment on that day as well lol.

Actually they start out with 20, since 19=nineteen=teen lol. And you are a male who got acne at age 19? Poor you, just at the time when it goes away for most people you got it. But anyways, 19 is a good age as well a lot better then 15-16 were your hormones are raging. I just turned 20 years 10 days ago, and I finishied my treatment on that day as well lol.

yep i started getting it after i went to college, I had an occasional zit in highschool, maybe 1 tiny pimple that only I would notice every month or two and back then i barely even washed my face ( i miss those days :( ) but my face went crazy around the time i turned 19, it's much more under control now because of all the treatment's i have been using. I'll be 20 by the time i'm finished with my course of accutane.

25 years (I think it is actually longer) is a good amount of time to build up some knowledge about the drug and remission rates ...

i dont even give a shit anymore. Id happily take acne that was at least 50% better than what i got now

I hear you there. I am almost done with my course, and if I get a few pimples months after, then I'll be able to live with it because it's a lot better than 5 months ago.