Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Got perscribed accutane and I'm chickening out!!!

I just went through months and months of dry cracked irritated skin from benzyl peroxide, and I got wrinkles from it. I have just started to actually feel better when I smile because it doesnt feel like my face is cracking anymore. Literally I would smile and I would get a new line, I got stretch lines from my skin being too tight and it seems like my skin is just getting back to normal. I really dont know if I'm ready for accutane :(, I think if I had to go through what I went through the last few months again I would want to kill myself LOL... it was horrible and depressing, I had the worst summer of my life because of it. I know accutane is like amazing but I dont think I can handle it right now, should I wait?? Or just get it over with??

Only you can decide.

I'm on 40 mgs, and my skin was dried out more from the topicals I used, than the accutane.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I did that for YEARS! excuse after excuse, I need to do this, I need to do that, I can't take the IB, I can't take the drying.... etc.

DO IT!!!!!!!!

It's totally different then anything else you've tried, and if you're anything like me, it will lift your spirits knowing that in 6 months you might be clear FOREVER. At least after 3 months or so you'll see a big improvement and the dry skin might not even be a side effect that you get!

I don't mean to push, I just wish someone would have told me to suck it up and keep taking the damn pills when I was younger!

Do it! i would if i were you. don't worry about getting wrinkly, it's really not that bad. the sooner you start the sooner you will be free from acne.

if you moisturize your skin won't be that dry.

I guess it all depends on what you want from your skin, which worries you more: wrinkles or acne. The fact that the wrinkles seem to bother you more than the thought of acne, then I think you're right, don't take accutane. If you were truly concerned about your acne, nothing would stop you.

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! All this other topical shit is bullshit believe me I've tried it all. Accutane is wonderful and its unbelieveable what it can do. Im not very dry and it wont age you .Like today I dont even need to use lotion. Be lucky you got a Rx for it take it and run to the pharmacy. Lots of ppl. would kill to get their hands on a Rx who has been turned down. DOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTT and quit over thinking things.

its your choice

i dont know if this helps at all but my lips are not too bad cuz i load on aquaphor and now they are actually smoother than ever and my face is not one bit dry. it was a little at the beginning but its gone now.

oh im 2 months in.

imo do it!

I'm just finishing up my course (80mg for 4 months) and am so thankful I decided to take it - 'tane definitely wasn't the scary monster I thought it would be. And, my skin didn't get dry at all like I was expecting it to. Everyone is different, but if you use a good moisturizer once or twice a day, you should be okay. Good luck!

Whoa wait - are you telling me Accutane CREATES wrinkles??

Last I heard dry skin does not cause wrinkles, it can make them look worse but if you moisturize it should be okay. Am I wrong?

Do it!! It's worth it. The side effects, the IB whatever. Let me tell you something, I remeber when I used benzaclin the very first time, I was dry and peeling like hell, on tane I had very minor dryness just on my cheeks and chin!

I'm so upset right now... omg, I just feel so helpless... I more nervous to go on tane than I was to get my friggen tattoo lol... you guys are a big help though... I might just take the plunge. OH GAWWWDDD!!!

I think Accutane can make it look like you have wrinkles because of the dry skin...kinda like benzoyl peroxide does. You just have to moisturize. Tdot, I read in Beentheredonethat's log that she uses Clinique Exceptionally Soothing Cream for Upset Skin and it works great for dryness and redness associate with Accutane. It's what I plan on using when I start Accutane in a month.

My derm told me to NEVER EVER use a single product made by clinique if I EVER hope to be acne free! I was also told to throw my Oil of Olay in the trash as soon as I got home! Apparently, Clinique and Olay are products that a most likely to cause breakout!

I think Accutane can make it look like you have wrinkles because of the dry skin...kinda like benzoyl peroxide does. You just have to moisturize. Tdot, I read in Beentheredonethat's log that she uses Clinique Exceptionally Soothing Cream for Upset Skin and it works great for dryness and redness associate with Accutane. It's what I plan on using when I start Accutane in a month.

My derm told me to NEVER EVER use a single product made by clinique if I EVER hope to be acne free! I was also told to throw my Oil of Olay in the trash as soon as I got home! Apparently, Clinique and Olay are products that a most likely to cause breakout!

Hm interesting. I use Clinique City Block for my sunscreen after my derm recommended it and it is the best! No clogging of the pores or breakouts. I don't use any other Clinique products though. I think your derm may have said that because these product have a lot of additional crap in them like frangrances and stuff. And they are not really made for people with acne.

I just went through months and months of dry cracked irritated skin from benzyl peroxide, and I got wrinkles from it. I have just started to actually feel better when I smile because it doesnt feel like my face is cracking anymore. Literally I would smile and I would get a new line, I got stretch lines from my skin being too tight and it seems like my skin is just getting back to normal. I really dont know if I'm ready for accutane :(, I think if I had to go through what I went through the last few months again I would want to kill myself LOL... it was horrible and depressing, I had the worst summer of my life because of it. I know accutane is like amazing but I dont think I can handle it right now, should I wait?? Or just get it over with??

Hey! I did a little research on this and here's what I found - BP actually can cause wrinkles. It acts as a free radical to your skin, causing oxidative stress, which kills the acne but can also cause premature aging. Some research has even found that BP can increase your risk of skin cancer. Yikes.

Accutane, on the other hand, shouldn't cause free radical damage to the skin. It will just dry up your glands and cause temporary dry skin. So I think you are much better off just doing a course of Accutane rather than going through years of benzoyl peroxide. If you are struggling with really bad acne, it might be worth it.

Funny, my derm suggested Olay with spf 15.

She did, however, say to stay away from Mary Kay. I don't know, everyone's different. My sister uses it with no problem.

Platinum

I was scared to start on Roaccutane too, and its now my tenth day 60mg. You have to be brave, at least thats what I say to myself!! Im currently going through a horrible IB!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! But I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end! :pray:

I'm so upset right now... omg, I just feel so helpless... I more nervous to go on tane than I was to get my friggen tattoo lol... you guys are a big help though... I might just take the plunge. OH GAWWWDDD!!!

i was a little nervous before i started but i am really glad i did.

take the pills pussy, why do people get nervous, if you don't like side effects get off it, I know it made my life 1 gazillion times better

take the pills pussy, why do people get nervous, if you don't like side effects get off it, I know it made my life 1 gazillion times better

Thankkkssss for the pussy comment... It has nothing to do with me being a pussy, accutane is serious sh#t and I'm nervous to take it after going through a horrible time. Plus I'm a girl and am afraid to lose my hair...

I think anyone who isn’t at least a little cautious about accutane is just in denial and irresponsible. You can’t just jump into something that can have SERIOUS side effects thinking you’ll be fine and nothing bad can ever happen to you. It’s a big decision and you have to weigh the risks and benefits. But, like you say, it can really improve your life when everything goes well.

Tdot - If you have tried everything and acne is taking a severe toll on your face and on your life, then maybe its time to bite the bullet and go for it. If you think there are other options out there then definitely try them first. I think most people are happy that they went for it and were able to get clear.

I had a side effect of hair loss but otherwise I would have been pretty happy with it. And I stopped immediately when I noticed that was happening. You can be monitored closely and if anything is going wrong you can always stop taking it.

But it’s your decision and don’t do it unless you are sure.