Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
damnpits

what is the best way to cover up/camouflage acne scars

If you are talking about dented like acne scars, all that I can offer it wear as little makeup as possible over them! It seems if I put makeup on and powder, I can see them more! Someone suggested a bronzing powder, but it doesn't do too much for me, but it's worth a try, to try and make them appear less noticable. 8-[

Jenn4dexx - I know what you mean about putting on more and them becoming more noticeable. Will the bronzing powder not darken the areas.

Does anyone know a way of filling/covering the scars. Please respond.

i'm willing to try anything at this stage

Thanks 8-[

I would not put a lot of bronzing powder on, just try using a soft brush and put on very lightly, obviously not a very dark color for your skin, something natural. I guess anything a touch darker draws attention AWAY from your skin or imperfection rather than putting something lighter such as a too light concealer on the skin. I know I have used toolight a concealer and it looks more obvious. As far as filling them in, my derm said I could get a collagen injection or some man made material which I am afraid of doing. I only have 2 scars. I am now using the Mandelic Acid (lots of posts on this in "Scarring" section) and I only use is a few times a week, along with the tape and vinegar method and they seem to be fading pretty well. I know it time they will almost disappear, but as far as cosmetically filling them in, I don't know. biggrin.gif

i have a scar on my face from chicken pocks...it dents in and is extremely bothersome to me. wait, no i think the mole in the middle of my forehead bothers me more. yes yes i'll stick with that

I too have pitted scars and rolling. I use Erno Lazlo Normalizer Shake-it (put Erno Lazlo in Yahoo and you'll find places that sell it). It's got a lot of water and alcohol and a mattifying ingredient. It comes in all kinds of shades. It really dries good and sinks into pores. I've tried EVERYTHING. I cannot use creamy foundation because it makes the pores look larger. Put it on, then give it a few seconds to dry and get a matte finish. Then take a make-up sponge (un-wetted) and just blend in a little. I also sometimes finish it off w/Maybelline Shine-Free foundation (Ivory or a light color). I pour a little in the bottle cap, take a tissue and pull off the end. I then tip the end into the foundation and dab slightly into the pore area. It's great for making you look less "holey." Try it, this is the only way I can wear foundation. Good luck. When the Erno Lazlo first arrives I sit the bottle upright and let the foundation settle into the bottom. Then you have a lot of water and alcohol above it. I pour some of the clear liquid into another container, this less-watery version works better for me. When I start running out of the liquid, I just add more in. Believe me, I've done all kinds of experimentation. Good luck! DJ

Try to appreciate the good things and keep faith when it seems impossible. DJ

I have a few pits which really bug me as well. I have tried many, many things to conceal. I have posted this in a couple of other spots, but I thought I'd post here for you. I just ordered a product called Skin Plastic by Dermacolor (theatre and movie line) which claims it will even out uneven skin and skin with scarring. Hopefully I will get this by the first of the week. You use it under concealer and foundation. I will post once I give this a trial run.

Currently I use MAC matte primer under my concealer, then Clinique pore perfector, Ben Nye concealer (stage makeup) and Prescriptives 100% oil-free foundation, then powder. After everything is in place if I still see an offensive area I take a tiny artist brush and dab a little bit of Prescriptives line filler into the pit. This makes them pretty much invisible to everyone but me..lol. Good Luck and I will post about the skin plastic!

HTH! Misty

Been doing it for YEARS. I found Maybelline's shine-free foundation to work the best. I take the end of a tissue, make it into a point, dip it into the foundation and then dip slightly into the pore/pit. It works wonders at making it look smaller. If you just slide foundation over the top of your skin it doesn't sink into the pits very well and you sometimes get a more "holey" look. I use a slightly lighter color than my skin. Good luck.

If you try this, please post so we know how it works out for you - I truly hope it does! Tarmik

Hello all,

I just found out from my doc that I have soft atrophic scars that are hyperpigmented within the pit. My doc said that I can camouflauge this hyperpigmentation. I've tried to use dermablend but it just cannot cover the color difference within the pit. Should I use this line filler technique as well? I'm a guy so any advice would be great!

the december issue of Allure magazine has AWESOME tips on covering acne/scars etc, there are several pages containing techniques, tips, and recommended products, check it out! smile.gif

I've been embarrassed about my redness and scarring from acne...and then a few weeks ago I bought Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfection. People...buy this! It's amazing. It's very light and feels like satin. For the first time in years, I have a balanced complexion, and I don't have anxiety about my huge pores. I really do recommend it. I also love it b/c I hate make up, and when I wear this, it doesn't feel like I have anything on my face.

biggrin.gif

Amanda,

Is this something you can use for pitted acne scars where there is a color difference within the scar from the surrounding healthy skin?

I have been using Lycogel uk breathable camouflage make up for my acne scars. It started off as a medical make up used widely buy surgeons for post treatment. It comes highly recommended.

Edited by Jenniegtg

I have boxcar scars on my cheeks that are pigmented a dark reddish brown. Had them for almost 15 years and in that time, nothing has covered them completely. A primer will soften them, a good concealer and foundation will sort of hide them but they can still be seen.

For acne that only left behind hyperpigmentation, all it takes is a good concealer to cover them up.

Getting rid of the scars though....I haven't been interested in spending big bucks to try to get rid of them so I've kind of given up until I heard about at home dermarolling. I'll be starting that next week, so hopefully, it'll work on the scars over time.

I have been using Lycogel uk breathable camouflage make up for my acne scars. It started off as a medical make up used widely buy surgeons for post treatment. It comes highly recommended.

I was just curious if you used the foundation and concealer both? And what kind of coverage it provided for you. I tried only the foundation since Lycogel is pretty pricey and found it to be just like any other kind of medium coverage foundation.