Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So i've recently read a work of Jack London's and this passage seemed to captivated me, I re-read it like 8 times and it just seems so true.

"The afternoon wore on, and with the awe, born of the White Silence, the voiceless travelers bent to their work. Nature has many tricks wherewith she convinces man of his finity--the ceaseless flow of the tides, the fury of the storm, the shock of the earthquake, the long roll of heaven's artillery--but the most tremendous, the most stupefying of all, is the passive phase of the White Silence. All movement ceases, the sky clears, the heavens are as brass; the slightest whisper seems sacrilege, and man becomes timid, affrighted at the sound of his own voice. Sole speck of life journeying across the ghostly wastes of a dead world, he trembles at his audacity, realizes that his is a maggot's life, nothing more."

Kind of makes you think, life goes by so quickly and before we known it we are dust in the ground, and all that remains of us is a memory slowly washed away by the wind of time. Life seems like a game to me, you try to win, but what is winning? Having a wife, kids, a good job? Yeah I guess that's all grand, but it all seems so insignificant.

Time will erase us from existence, we are an insignificant maggots in the sense of the universe. There are people who think the world revolves around them, they are ignorant fools. We can hope to leave some legacy behind for others to remember us, because immortality is only achieved with accomplishments.

You see people running around every day busy, busy, always no working no time for friends or fun. Slowly their life ticks away. Some become rich and die hording their money and to what end? Some people brag about the number of friends and parties they have been to, and so what? Who cares, honestly?

If I go to no parties, have no fun, and spent most my days studying and come up with some formula or equation, i'll be immortalized in the sense of time, what will they have to show for their parties? Nothing. Yet i'll be walking around with a novel prize? So I have to give up fun, to have a meaningful life?

Life's such a bitch, or perhaps im just crazy.

but what use is the nobel prize or any other type of legacy if you're dead anyway? its not like you get to relish the immortality you've left behind from your grave

its all useless in the end. the best you can hope for is to have lived a fulfilling life.

nice post. i think about this a lot too. if you're crazy, so am i.

yea sorry who gives a shit about winning some prize. do you really need to leave a 'legacy'. at least your freinds will have enjoyed their life meanwhile youve spent yours trying to accomplish shit that most people really dont give a fuck about apart from a small minority. question: how many people here can name the last person to win a nobel prize. i sure as hell cant and really dont care either. face it most people really dont care about that kinda shit because they cant relate. people who are remembered and that leave a legacy that the average person recognises are people like sport stars, movie stars etc.

ill never understand people that give up enjoyment of their life just to embelish themselves in the idea that they will make some significant accomplishment or add what they consider 'meaning'

get over it, you dont need to be rememebered as anything but someone who was a good person, and evan then that memory wont last long

question: how many people here can name the last person to win a nobel prize. i sure as hell cant and really dont care either. face it most people really dont care about that kinda shit because they cant relate.

That's not really the point.

It's not the title that people "give a shit" about. It's the positive (and major) impact the person has had in the world: leaving it a better place, whether it be through literature, medicine, etc.

if you can't relate to that, you're hopeless.

"We can hope to leave some legacy behind for others to remember us, because immortality is only achieved with accomplishments"

this sounds to me like you care more about being remembered than actually having a positive impact.

look you knob im not saying what these people have done isnt majorly positive etc im just saying that most people cant relate to them.

you sound like the typical 'i was teased in high school and had no freinds so im gonna get back at the world by locking myself in my room and studying just so i can tell myself im better than them'

you asked what do they have to show for their partying. well how about plenty of friends, good times, good memories.

"We can hope to leave some legacy behind for others to remember us, because immortality is only achieved with accomplishments"

this sounds to me like you care more about being remembered than actually having a positive impact.

look you knob im not saying what these people have done isnt majorly positive etc im just saying that most people cant relate to them.

Well that's not at all how it came off to me. Maybe you're just cynical for some reason. :wall:

you sound like the typical 'i was teased in high school and had no freinds so im gonna get back at the world by locking myself in my room and studying just so i can tell myself im better than them'

you asked what do they have to show for their partying. well how about plenty of friends, good times, good memories.

Friends come and go, and memories fade away. Go ahead have a good time party, make friends, but everything should be done in moderation. You sound like the person who will just give up when things get difficult. You, me, your friends are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. And the people that win nobel prizes, well it's not that you should give a shit. But if you want to go anywhere in your life aside from bagging groceries you might want to educate yourself. You'll encounter many works and proofs of those before us that have layed the foundation out for you. To me Isaac Newton is a hero, you may not even know who he is but that's because you are ignorant.

The fact that life - in any form - exists in the first place leads me to believe that we are part of something that is truely amazing. You can ask as many of those questions as you want but you'll never find the answer. But you should anyway (I do it every single day) - it's part of life. However, this doesn't mean that you should become a recluse and refuse to participate in society simply because one day you will be dead. Society is a reflection of humanity and should be explored just as thoroughly as some of the big questions in life.

It's all about the balance :yinyang:

hey i agree with some of what you are saying dont get me wrong. im definately not someone who just 'lives for the moment' partying etc.

im not putting guys down that win nobel prizes etc i mean society would not be where it is today if it werent for some of the people who dedicated their lives to what theyve set out to accomplish.

and not that i need to attest myself to someone over the internet but i work very hard, im studying a dual degree and i work part time so dont lecture me on the need to educate oneself.

obviously you and i have very different opinions on what is significant in life and what isnt. to me the time i spend with my freinds and the people i love is far more important than getting recognition or awards or being 'imortalised' but hey man if winning an award and leaving a legacy is important to you than go for it, but i just consider that shit mental masterbation

yea i know who isaac newton is and he is no one i aspire to be, while he may have founded classical mathamatics etc his life revolved around science, maths and religion. his only significant relationship was lost because of his extreme dedication to his work and ultimateley never married or had a family. thank you for bringin him up as this further illistrates the point i was trying to make