Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nloo

acne centuries ago

along time ago acne was solved alot different than today. THey use to wash themselves in lakes and rivers . IF they were dirty they would find interesting flowers and trees leaves that they thought would help. after alot of trial and error they found out what they liked the most and what gave substantial benefits. Now days we use benzoyl peroxide , beta hydroxy acids(salicylic acid) and other things that are laboratory enhanced which is not always bad but more than most times will make things worse than not washing would. So i want there to be some acne research companies making some discoveries. Go to the jungle, islands,forest, try different things and find out how they work in a study.

they would have used natural concoctions like herbs and flowers (starflowers). you can still get these today, starflower/borage oil capsules. very effective stuff.

Guest Michael Jackson

people were more worried about the plague and getting attacked, methinks.

Dont romantisize the past, was not uncommon for people to be crawling with skin infections and rashs. Also covered in pox scars which really do make acne scars look quite minor, and they were the lucky one who were not killed by the pox. I think there is a line in shakespeare concerning a publandlord who had acne.

yea right, overall health was ten times worse then what it is today. acne included. im not saying natural remedies dont work, just that stronger mediations are most likely to work better and more effectivly.

ppl did not care about acne.they were more concerned on surviving.and yeah, pox scars were common, and more horrible than acne scars.

what about the wealthy class who didnt have to worry about surviving? if they got acne im sure they would have searched for an answer.

they did, here's a timeline of treatments used taken from wikipedia.

The history of acne reaches back to the dawn of recorded history. In Ancient Egypt, it is recorded that several pharaohs were acne sufferers. From Ancient Greece comes the English word 'acne' (meaning 'point' or 'peak'). Acne treatments are also of considerable antiquity:

Ancient Rome : bathing in hot, and often sulfurous, mineral water was one of the few available acne treatments. One of the earliest texts to mention skin problems is De Medicina by the Roman writer Celsus.

1800s: Nineteenth century dermatologists used sulphur in the treatment of acne. It was believed to dry the skin.

1920s: Benzoyl Peroxide is used

1930s: Laxatives were used as a cure for what were known as 'chastity pimples'

1950s: When antibiotics became available, it was discovered that they had beneficial effects on acne. They were taken orally to begin with. Topical antibiotics became available later.

1960s: Vitamin A acid and Retin A were found effective for acne. This led to the development of isotretinoin sold as Accutane and Roaccutane in the 1980's.

1990s: Laser treatment introduced

2000s: Blue/red light therapy

Some old treatments, like laxatives, have fallen into disuse but others, like spas, are recovering their popularity.

yea right, overall health was ten times worse then what it is today. acne included. im not saying natural remedies dont work, just that stronger mediations are most likely to work better and more effectivly.

This is total bullshit. People were 10000000000 times healthier than we are today. I think that acne wasn't so bad and was rare. Why? Because of the fresh air, because of natural food, because of everyday physical activities and so on.

Dont romantisize the past, was not uncommon for people to be crawling with skin infections and rashs. Also covered in pox scars which really do make acne scars look quite minor, and they were the lucky one who were not killed by the pox. I think there is a line in shakespeare concerning a publandlord who had acne.

I think he was referring more to the hunting and gathering time periods

This is total bullshit. People were 10000000000 times healthier than we are today. I think that acne wasn't so bad and was rare. Why? Because of the fresh air, because of natural food, because of everyday physical activities and so on.

??

if that were true how come they all died at an early age? disease was rampant back in the olden times and hygiene was pretty much non existent.

Count out war and plague victims + people were dying from such things as the common cold. Why? Because they didn't know the cure it then. But overall health was MUCH MUCH better. I actually am amased how there can be any doubts. Its absurd. Their overall health was much better. They died not because of their health condition, but because of NO technology and medicine at all. What I mean is: you can be as healty as you want, but you will still die from a bullet to the head.

i learned in religion class (although this has nothing to do with religion) that about 2000 and more years ago they thought you had leprosy if you had really bad acne.

(this was before i had more than mild acne so i thought it was funny, i understand its not :|)

acne was thought of as problem that could kill them. THey didnt know what the purpose of it was so they tried leaves and etc to try to help it. They thought something major was wrong with them, so they cleansed with things and what ever worked that they found is what we need to find

Guest Michael Jackson

they didn't find jack shit. I believe acne is something that we just haven't evolved out of. out of all the animals, we had to come from monkeys :(

In a way, that's a key question (that I never thought of): WHAT IS THE

USE OF ACNE? IS IT SOME EVOLUTIONARY STEP? but 4 what?

In a way, that's a key question (that I never thought of): WHAT IS THE

USE OF ACNE? IS IT SOME EVOLUTIONARY STEP? but 4 what?

like most diseases, it doesn't have any use.

IS IT SOME EVOLUTIONARY STEP?i really hope that was a joke

think about it this way we have concealer

people have thought that at some point excess oil on our faces was a means of protection, against dirt and such, and probably didnt cause acne. years later, as civilization became more widespread it was no longer essential to have this trait, and having acne probably was an evoltionary disadvantage, i mean if you're so ugly nobody will have sex with you, you can't very well pass on your genes, so acne became rarer. now, today evolutionary advantage plays absolutely no role in our lives whatsoever. humans stopped evolving hundreds of years ago, so having acne is no longer threatening to your particular gene pool, therefore it is now becoming more widespread and more uncontrollable.

Source? I'd be really interested in reading anything related to the evolutionary theories on acne.

Its not an evolutionary step or if it is then its not apparent. I did read once though that acne sufferers are less likely to get heart disease, but are more prone to prostate cancer. Thats only one study though, so meh!

There was also a reference somewhere about there possibly being a relationship between acne in males and nerdiness, that it has something to do with acne keeping girls from becoming pregnant at a young age, so boys with acne therefore have female genes, so hence the nerdiness. Unfortunately the original article isn't online anymore... but i have my own idea about that: if you have acne, you generally arent as likely to be hanging out with the manly people, so of course your gonna start acting kinda nerdy.

but that's what i've found about evolution and acne...

Manly people? Testosterone causes acne too you know. Dammit...

I know plenty "manly" people with acne from the gym.

Eh also if that were true estrogen blockers would be a cure for acne.

Sounds like a bs study.

I wonder if it was really true Ramses had acne...

And evolution takes longer then a few hundred years people.