Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

What do you think causes adult acne...

What causes adult acne?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these things did you use/do when you were a teen?

• Birth control pill
    • Benzyl peroxide products (even though you didnt need them)
    • Salicylic acid products (even though you didnt need them)
    • You never washed your face
    • You washed your face more than twice a day
    • You ate loads of fattening and sweet food
    • Used harsh scrubs
    • Took antibiotics more than twice
    • Sun tanned alot
    • Used harsh soaps

I am just wondering what the heack causes adult acne, and in my case I think that it is the combination of taking antibiotics, using harsh soaps on my face when I didnt need them and hormones... What do you guys think?

Oh crap I realized you cant select more than one... that sux, sorry guys, I dont know how to do that.

I ate a pretty healthy diet growing up. My mom wasn't into processed stuff, and I got made fun of at school because I'd bring sardines for lunch, and never had cookies or junk food at my house.....if we had cookies my mom made them and we were only allowed to have one at a time. We didn't ever drink soda, we drank water, or my mom's homeade iced tea........

I did take antibiotics as a kid, but who didn't......I'd rather take a short course of antibiotics then develop complications from a runaway strep infection, go deaf from an ear infection or develop chronic Lymes disease.......The longest course I ever took was 21 days....for Lymes when I was like 10 years old..........

In my adulthood I only took antibiotics twice....once when I was 17 again for Lymes, which I happend to get re-infected with (this time only a week of Cipro)....and again when I was 24 for a kidney infection......Both times I took a probiotic afterward............I've never taken them for acne......

I had mild acne in college, which was either from the stress of college life, or from the crappy food I ate and all the alcohol I consumed, and of course pulling those all nighters didn't help....

But once I graduated and went back to my healthy diet, and got more serious about working out, my mild acne disapppeared.......

When stalker boy popped up and started slashing my tires and sending me cat heads and threatening to slash my throat or disembowel me.....my non-existant acne became moderate to severe and cystic.....

I was 23 the first time I had a cyst.....I've only been dealing with this crap for the last 18 months....for me it seemed to be stress related.......the stress did other things too.......my hair started to fall out, I lost 20lbs, and I kept getting canker sores in my mouth........once wacko got locked up everything else but the acne went back to normal.....

I am just wondering what the heack causes adult acne, and in my case I think that it is the combination of taking antibiotics, using harsh soaps on my face when I didnt need them and hormones... What do you guys think?

Oh crap I realized you cant select more than one... that sux, sorry guys, I dont know how to do that.

I'd go for none of the above, it's just hormones... I share your pain... I had no acne not even zits when I was a teen.. I am 22 now and it's horrid!

BP and SA don't cause acne even if you don't need them.

why is there no genetics option? also it's probably hormones.

i don't think much has to do with genetics at all. i am the only one that has horrific skin in my family. my sister, my parents, my grandparents, all of my extended relatives - none of them ever has had an acne problem except me. and by problem, i don't mean a couple zits occasionally. i mean a face full all of the time. it is definitely hormones.

There is no doubt in my mind that almost all acne is from hormones. By the way, stress = hormone surge = zits. Junk food = hormone surge = zits. The list keeps going. Doesn't take much to tip the scales in the hormone dept.

Toxicity maybe. Did you see the leader of some small country in europe had his skin disfigured by acne because of dioxin poisoning? This was in the news about a year ago i think.

I have a lot of almagam tooth fillings and some claim they release mercury vapors..., so I could be suffering from mercury toxicity. But also my acne didn't start until puberty so...hormones?

Hi, im 38m and i started getting acne a few years ago,not sure whats going on,but ppl say its stress cause i own my own busisness? or hormones? its weird,cuz i get then mostly on my chin and neck,now ive got little scars,red dots,and the zits come back in the same spots, can anybody explain this to me? its getting real fustrating,im gonna try to stop dairy too, also i just ate a bunch of italian meetballs and i broke out,man oh man,this is crazy,, thanks.

Hi, im 38m and i started getting acne a few years ago,not sure whats going on,but ppl say its stress cause i own my own busisness? or hormones? its weird,cuz i get then mostly on my chin and neck,now ive got little scars,red dots,and the zits come back in the same spots, can anybody explain this to me? its getting real fustrating,im gonna try to stop dairy too, also i just ate a bunch of italian meetballs and i broke out,man oh man,this is crazy,, thanks.

Oh gawd!!! why do we have to suffer with this??? We all think we're home free after not having acne as a teen and then BAM!! it hits you!! I cant believe this... I feel like I am being punished, or we are being punished, but what the heck for???

I got mine because I started taking lithium and seroxat

What do u mean u got urs from taking seroxat?

I am taking that,acne isnt a side effect is it?

Thanks

I think it's the washing the face bit. If your face isn't greasy, pimples don't come out, simple. Wish I had a mobile sink or something, lol, I'd be washing my face in the car, at work, everywhere. :P

If I don't wash my face regularly (half a dozen times or so a day), I tend to be more prone to breaking out. The tropical climate I live in doesn't help at all either. Bet if I lived in Sydney or Melbourne or even Hobart, I'd be less prone to the odd pimple.

i get adult acne after i started smoking weeds and mild cigars, staying up late, and did not get enough sleep.

i was 19 back then.

I think it's the washing the face bit. If your face isn't greasy, pimples don't come out, simple. Wish I had a mobile sink or something, lol, I'd be washing my face in the car, at work, everywhere.

If I don't wash my face regularly (half a dozen times or so a day), I tend to be more prone to breaking out. The tropical climate I live in doesn't help at all either. Bet if I lived in Sydney or Melbourne or even Hobart, I'd be less prone to the odd pimple.

That doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

Mine is caused by hormones--birth control.

Guest dingybobstuart

Mine started at about 19... im 21 now.

I think it was a combination of hormones and lifestyle change... lifestyle change being going out, drinking and smoking.

Im paying for it now :(

Mine started at about 19... im 21 now.

I think it was a combination of hormones and lifestyle change... lifestyle change being going out, drinking and smoking.

Im paying for it now :(

Hey that's the same with me! I got it at 19, just a quick question for you, are you a girl? If so are you on the birth conrol pill, and when did you start taking it? And what are you using for you acne right now?

You forgot to add stress.

For me, it was definately stress. I started to breakout after I joined college. I had perfectly flawless skin through my teenage stress free years.

oh tis got to be the hormones/stress definitly! I had perfect skin all the way through my teens, had always eaten healtily, my life took a little turn for the worse at about 19 and bang! there they were lovely new friends on my face! but its never really too bad except at that time of the month! or around college exams I give up then my face just explodes!

I just hope that since I've had acne since 7th grade...I'm 19 now, that I won't ever get it again as an adult! :doubt:

I think STRESS is a HUGE factor. Stress causes some HORMONES to go nuts. We know hormones can trigger acne, and STRESS can trigger hormones to go bonkers. I know this isn't the cause for everyone, but I really think it's a much bigger problem than a lot of people think. Anybody read the article in the newest Allure mag? Only confirmed what I've suspected for yrs.