Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

I'm a 27 yr old female and my skin is doing lots of unpleasant changing. Perhaps due to aging or season changing but I've never had bad skin like this in my life. Aside from a few zits here and there, I have little white bumps on the right side of my chin that are not going away. They don't seem like whiteheads (not as hard) but it almost looks like an allergic reaction because it's almost a patch. But it's been there for over a week and it's not getting any better. There are a few on the other side of my chin as well and it's UGLY! After doing some research is sounds like it could be Milia. Can anyone tell me how to treat it without having to go to a derm? The waiting lists are months!!

Thanks a bunch!

I don't even know if going to a derm will help. I had/have the same thing. One is gone and I am still fighting with one. The only thing that really helps is exfoliation and an aha lotion. I have had some success with purpose gentle cleanser with a little baking soda mixed in it. The baking soda sorta draws the millia out. Then I just remove them with a tweezer and apply some neosporin to make it heal faster. The one on the left side of my face had about a million of the little bastids in there. I am still working on it.

I went to a derm too and he didn't do anything.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Allie Cat. But I'm confused though because you are saying that you are fighting one at a time....I have too many and they are teeny tiny so I'm wondering if this is what I think it is.

Also, where can I get this aha?

If you are able to draw the plug out with tweezers, that is not milia. Milia are tiny epidermal cysts which are under the skin, not in a pore, and have no route to the skin's surface. They must be removed surgically.

Also, where can I get this aha?

AHA is any lotion that has an alpha hydroxy acid in it. Glycolic acid is good.

I am using neutragena's anti acne anti wrinkle scrub. It has sa and glycolic acid in it.

Then I use Neutragena Healty Face Lotion, which also has glycolic acit in. it.

If you are able to draw the plug out with tweezers, that is not milia. Milia are tiny epidermal cysts which are under the skin, not in a pore, and have no route to the skin's surface. They must be removed surgically.

Well they had no route to the skin's surface until I started digging at my face with an X-acto knife!

LOL

I thought I had millia too, but through dunking my head under water for 60seconds for bout 1 weeks so far, those millia pores you call, or most likely closed pores, should come out of your skin eventually or dissapear all together.....and...don't pick if they are indeed VERY small and in clusteers. All you'll do is irrate your sorrounding skin and bam, white heads. Just let it take its course and just look at moomboa's water treatment....it really does wonders!

I have a horrible case of millia! Check out my gallery!

I think it could be due to the fact that I had some microdermabraisions done a while ago...but not sure!

I have to get them removed 3 months after I am done with accutane.

I think it could be due to the fact that I had some microdermabraisions done a while ago...but not sure!
Yes, microdermabrasion is known to sometimes cause milia. Unfortunately that type is very difficult to treat. Good luck.

Well they had no route to the skin's surface until I started digging at my face with an X-acto knife!

You failed to mention that in your first post, saying that baking soda "draws them out" which is not possible if they are truly milia but sounds plausible for comedones. Have they been diagnosed as milia by a derm, or is this your self-diagnosis?

After doing a bunch of research on what the heck it could be, I don't think it's Milia. First, I looked at some pics and it just doesn't look the same. Second, I went to the pharmacy yesterday and spoke with the cosmetician (also an esthetician) who said HELL NO it's not Milia. Milia usually occurs in older people and forms mostly around the eyes (mine's on my chin). I'm relieved because I really didn't want to have to worry about getting them surgically removed. She said it's likely due to the weather change, maybe hormonal etc but it WILL go away (I hope she's right).

One thing I realized too is that I never exfoliate. Looking back I can honestly say I've never exfoliated!!!! I just never thought of it and was always pre-occupied with finding a good cleanser and I just didn't realize how necessary it is to exfoliate your skin every now and then. So she recommended to me the Vichy Exfoliating Cleanser ($20) and I tried it last night and it felt awesome. My skin looks slightly better today in fact and I'm just hoping it will do the trick!

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I'll keep you posted on if this stuff is good or not.

I think I may have had a 'milia' the other day. It seemed like a tiny little whitehead that was just under the surface of the skin and wasn't getting any bigger. I decided to give it a squeeze and all that came out was like a think strand of something white, like a piece of cotton. Never had anything like that before