Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hkd399

Frustrated...

I have gotten pretty frustrated on the CSR. To let everyone know, my skin has gotten MUCH clearer from the CSR and I am very, very grateful, but I think my skin has gotten worse overall. For starters, my acne was pretty mild to begin with and other than that is was perfect. Now, my skin is discolored, oily, pink, and is in a desperate need of exfolitation, ie when I moisterize the moistizer only seems to hide the flakes, not get rid of them. My skin is also all wrinkly! Ahhh! Also, I am having a a hard time rubbing bp in, I always need to wipe my fingers off to get it to rub in and it takes a good 20+ minutes. (I'm using ots) Lastly, rubbing bp seems to be irritating my skin, but if I don't really rub, it doesn't rub in and it dries before I can rub it in. So, I'm not sure what to do. Any kind of suggestion/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have been on the CSR since June... but I think I'm not totally clear because I'm not rubbing in Bp right.

Hmm... Sounds strange. My BP has never dried up before I'd get to apply it?

You shouldn't RUB it in, but gently massage it in ;)

The flakes will probably go away, and if they don't - find another moisturizer - I've been told that Cetaphil should do the job pretty well.

Though, I think you're contradicting yourself? You say you have to wipe off your fingers, or else the BP will never dry, and yet the BP dries before you get to rub it in? O_O

Anyways - don't wipe off your fingers. Take the time needed ;)

Cheers

I have never used OTS but I have read numerous posts that people have the same problem as you: it doesn't rub in well, leaves a white film, etc. Have you ever tried Dan's bp gel? It goes on soooooo smooth and absorbs well, leaving no film. Also I can vouch for the Cetaphil moisturizer. It's killer at eliminating flakes although it does tend to leave skin a little shiny, but I keep saying I'll take a little shine over flakes ANY day. Let us know if you try either of these things and if they work for you.

I've used Neutrogena ots in the past, but for my CSR I am using the CVS version. It seems to be thinner, rather liquidy actually. It won't make a squiggly line like in Dan's pics but it rubs in (massages in :D ) much better. Certain areas of my face need exfoliation to stay clear, like my chin. I have to gently rub it with a towel/washcloth after washing - I don't scrub to the point it's red or even all the way dry. You could try that for your flakes too every couple of days.

I have gotten pretty frustrated on the CSR. To let everyone know, my skin has gotten MUCH clearer from the CSR and I am very, very grateful, but I think my skin has gotten worse overall. For starters, my acne was pretty mild to begin with and other than that is was perfect. Now, my skin is discolored, oily, pink, and is in a desperate need of exfolitation, ie when I moisterize the moistizer only seems to hide the flakes, not get rid of them. My skin is also all wrinkly! Ahhh! Also, I am having a a hard time rubbing bp in, I always need to wipe my fingers off to get it to rub in and it takes a good 20+ minutes. (I'm using ots) Lastly, rubbing bp seems to be irritating my skin, but if I don't really rub, it doesn't rub in and it dries before I can rub it in. So, I'm not sure what to do. Any kind of suggestion/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have been on the CSR since June... but I think I'm not totally clear because I'm not rubbing in Bp right.

Hi,

Neutrogena on-the-spot is a bit harder to get to disappear into the skin, but it can be done, and usually whatever streaks are left should disappear with the application of your moisturizer. One word of caution, you don't want to irritate by rubbing around for too long. I don't know how you are applying it, but see if you can squirt out the entire amount onto your fingers, and apply it all over at once. Gently massing in outward strokes until it begins to feel a bit dry and tacky, then just let it dry. When you put on your moisturizer apply it the same way, using gentle outward strokes and see if this helps the streaks go away.

Also let me know what cleanser and moisturizer you are using. If you are using a drying cleanser, we might can recommend a change that might be less drying. And your moisturizer may not be hydrating enough. Have you tried Cetaphil moisturizing lotion? If you have and it isn't doing the job, you may need to add in an AHA moisturizer to take care of the dryness and flaking. Lac-Hydrin Five is a good AHA moisturizer that isn't overbearingly strong. Just keep in mind it does not have spf (neither does Cetaphil, btw).

If none of these changes seem to help, you might consider trying Dan's CSR gel. It doesn't leave any white streaks and seems to be less drying than other BP formulations.

I am using purpose liquid cleanser, which I guess I like, it doesn't seem to give me any problems, but I've never used another kind of cleanser. I'm using Complex 15 for my moisturizer, which I like. It moisturizes without leaving my skin too shiny. I have cetaphil, but it leaves my skin waaaay too shiny for the day and doesn't seem to be much more moisturizing than Complex 15. Brandy, your idea to let the bp dry once it gets tacky seems smart, I will try that tonight. Thank you very much for all your replies, they are all helpful!

Okay, let me know if that helps the problem.

Dan and I have both tried Complex 15 and found it really wasn't hydrating enough. If changing the way you are rubbing the BP in doesn't help, do consider giving Lac-Hydrin Five a try. It has lactic acid in it which will help exfoliate those flakes, and it is nice and hydrating and not as shiny as Cetaphil. I think you'll like it!

I have to agree with hkd399. My mild acne has gotten better, but now I am having lots of new problems. My face overall just looks dull and like it needs exfoliation. It also gets alot more oily than it used to, all around my T-zone. I have lots of trouble rubbing the bp in, I get streaks that I have to wash off with a wet washcloth, and I always feel like the BP is just sitting on top of my face, not absorbed. Because of this layer of gunk, it messes up my make-up and makes for darker and uneven coverage (I only wear powder). I am massaging it in gently and taking my time, but it seems like it just gets to a point where more can not be applied so it doesnt absorb and then it starts to ball up. I just started using the CVS version of OTS, it is thinner and seems to absorb better, but I still get streaks. Another major issue i'm having is with the skin around my eyes. Because I can't use any moisturizer or eye gel my skin condition there has gotten much worse i.e. dryness and lots of fine lines/wrinkles and increased darkness of dark circles. They need to be moisturized really bad but I can't b/c anytime I do, the bp gets mixed in with it and it stings and dries out that delicate skin even more. Any suggestions to these problems would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Me

Facial Cleanser: Aveeno clear complexion foaming cleanser

BP: Neutrogena OTS (just switched to CVS version Today)

Moisturizer: Eucerin skin renewal (any suugestions for a new moisturizer would be great b/c this one is discontinued,and cetaphil makes me break out)

I forgot to say that I have been using the BP for about 8 months now

"I have to agree with hkd399. My mild acne has gotten better, but now I am having lots of new problems. My face overall just looks dull and like it needs exfoliation. It also gets alot more oily than it used to, all around my T-zone. I have lots of trouble rubbing the bp in, I get streaks that I have to wash off with a wet washcloth, and I always feel like the BP is just sitting on top of my face, not absorbed. Because of this layer of gunk, it messes up my make-up and makes for darker and uneven coverage (I only wear powder). I am massaging it in gently and taking my time, but it seems like it just gets to a point where more can not be applied so it doesnt absorb and then it starts to ball up. I just started using the CVS version of OTS, it is thinner and seems to absorb better, but I still get streaks. Another major issue i'm having is with the skin around my eyes. Because I can't use any moisturizer or eye gel my skin condition there has gotten much worse i.e. dryness and lots of fine lines/wrinkles and increased darkness of dark circles. They need to be moisturized really bad but I can't b/c anytime I do, the bp gets mixed in with it and it stings and dries out that delicate skin even more. Any suggestions to these problems would be greatly appreciated!"

I'm happy that someone is in the same spot as me, I also am having trouble under the eyes (there very dry and dark). We just have to hang in there, and hopefully we'll have great skin sometime soon. :D

Brandy, I got the Lac-Hydrin moistuzizer today and I'll post how well it works!

I use an eye cream aroud the eye area before I apply the BP. THen when I apply the BP, I stay well away from the eye area.

For exfoliation, you can try a mild salicylic acid astringent thought that could be way too irritating and isn't generally recommmneded. Or just try and exfoliating moisturizer.

I use an eye cream aroud the eye area before I apply the BP. THen when I apply the BP, I stay well away from the eye area.

For exfoliation, you can try a mild salicylic acid astringent thought that could be way too irritating and isn't generally recommmneded. Or just try and exfoliating moisturizer.

Foomph has good suggestions ^ Hope the LH5 works for you, I'm thinking about trying it myself. By the way, how MUCH bp are you using now??

Moisturizer: Eucerin skin renewal (any suugestions for a new moisturizer would be great b/c this one is discontinued,and cetaphil makes me break out)

hmm, is that cleanser medicated? Usually products that promise "clear complexion" or something similar, have salicylic acid in them. If so, this may be part of the problem. You want to find a gentle nonmedicated cleanser. Purpose Gentle Wash or Purpose bar are both good, although the bar is more drying. I've recently tried the Johnson & Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash (since it is nearly identical to Purpose Wash) and it is gentle and works well too, and more economical than the small bottle of Purpose Wash.

As for a moisturizer to replace Eucerin Skin Renewal, if you want another lactic acid moisturizer then I would recommend Lac-hydrin Five, you can find it at Walgreen or drugstore.com

Brandy, I got the Lac-Hydrin moistuzizer today and I'll post how well it works!

Ok, let me know if this works out for you.

Johnson & Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash (since it is nearly identical to Purpose Wash)

Seriously? How long have you been using it? I might have to see if I can find this in Canada...but then I wonder if the formula would be the same.

I looked at ordering Dan's cleaner and BP and with shipping an duty and such it comes out to over $30. :(

I have just started using the LH5, and it's not going too well. My skin still feels dry, and not exfoliated. I am going to give it a week though, for the aha to work, and if it still doesn't, I'll keep searching.

What kind of eye cream do you use? The skin around my eyes is so dry, even though I try to not get the bp there. I'll try the cream.

I highly recommend Dan's bp over ots. I first used ots and switched to Dan's. I'm much happier with Dan's, it's easier to apply, doesn't get sticky, and absorbs well. You might want to try that instead. Plus, the container is bigger and lasts a lot longer than ots.

I have to agree with hkd399. My mild acne has gotten better, but now I am having lots of new problems. My face overall just looks dull and like it needs exfoliation. It also gets alot more oily than it used to, all around my T-zone. I have lots of trouble rubbing the bp in, I get streaks that I have to wash off with a wet washcloth, and I always feel like the BP is just sitting on top of my face, not absorbed. Because of this layer of gunk, it messes up my make-up and makes for darker and uneven coverage (I only wear powder). I am massaging it in gently and taking my time, but it seems like it just gets to a point where more can not be applied so it doesnt absorb and then it starts to ball up. I just started using the CVS version of OTS, it is thinner and seems to absorb better, but I still get streaks. Another major issue i'm having is with the skin around my eyes. Because I can't use any moisturizer or eye gel my skin condition there has gotten much worse i.e. dryness and lots of fine lines/wrinkles and increased darkness of dark circles. They need to be moisturized really bad but I can't b/c anytime I do, the bp gets mixed in with it and it stings and dries out that delicate skin even more. Any suggestions to these problems would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Me

I forgot to say that I have been using the BP for about 8 months now

It sounds like most of your problems come from the fact that you are using a cream based BP, and not a gel like Dan's. I really recommend trying Dan's BP out--it's a better value and WAAAAAY better textured. I think you'll find that it sits much more nicely on your skin. After a gel BP has absorbed and you've moisturized and such, you shouldn't have that gunky feeling anymore. I always had trouble putting makeup on over OTS when I used it to spot-treat in high school because of the clumping, so I know what you're talking about--it feels like you need to peel everything off just to have your face look normal.

For the eyes, I like to use a vitamin E cream around mine. I use a little bit of my normal moisturizer on my eye skin, but then I follow it up with the vitamin E cream, which is much thicker and even a bit greasy. I can't use it elsewhere on my face because it will make me break out, but it definitely takes care of dryness. I have extremely dry eye skin even without being on the regimen and even most eyeshadows seem to cause me to flake up and get red (allergy, maybe?), but the vitamin E cream takes care of that.

Thanks to everyone for their great advice!

I am currently using the CVS version of OTS, and it does absorb a teeny bit better, but I still get that gunky feeling and streaks. I really would like to try Dan's Bp. My only worry is availability. Can you get it anywhere else besides online?? It's just that I have the slowest mail system on the planet here, and it ususally takes about 2 weeks for me to get packages. Its just a much bigger hassle than going to CVS to pick up what I need. As for the eyes, i started to put on my lotion before applying the BP (around the eyes only). This has really helped with moisturizing them. I feel like such a dummy for not thinking of this myself. I am also eager to try the Lac Hydrin lotion as a replacement to my Eucerin, but its like $13 for a big bottle. I hate to buy such a large amount since I'm not sure if it's for me yet. Anyone know if I can get it in a smaller size?

PS Sorry this is another huge post. Any responses are appreciated :-)

The warnings are the use of high amounts of BP will do damage to your skin. You say you have been using it since June,this is not too long but your skin is already becoming discoloured. If you skin is getting worse now think about the effects it will have on your skin in another couple of years time. I suggest you seriously consider coming off Benzoyl Peroxide,people here cant help you as only you know if your skin is becoming damaged or not, if so stop using chemicals such as BP to harm your health..

BP doesnt do damage to my skin, i must be special.

it doesnt do damage to a lot of others people skin as well.

we must all be special.

anyway, i never got clear on OTS. i never even saw improvement on my skin until i got dans BP gel. OTS was just too drying for me and i couldnt handle it. My skin was constantly hard, even after moisturizer.