Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soadfan1

Does frying/cooking food cause acne...not the food itself

When Im cooking things like steak, battered fish, chicken etc theres always a strong smell of cooking animal fat or fats in general..even when Im not the one whos cooking I can smell it from upstairs. Can this cause acne?

When I get my steak out of the oven Im getting within a few feet of the steak thats been baked.

I do use face wipes with zinc shortly after anything like that but is it unlikely to cause spots anyway?

I mean the air and the smell of fat/cooking not the actual food itself.

-Rob

Wai's diet is an acne diet which advises not to eat 'heated (dirty) proteins'. According to her theory, proteins are altered in such a way that the body responds to them like they are toxins, causing water retention and closing off pores.

Other people claim to get acne from very greasy foods. I know for a fact that any amount of fat does not give me acne. Wai agrees with this. Hydrogenated fats are completely unhealthy and should be avoided, but I have never heard of them causing acne moreso than natural fats.

Many people (I don't know what percentage) have carb/insulin related acne. People like this would actually clear up on a high protein and low carb diet. Check out Atkin's message boards. There are always posters who are in disbelief over their newly perfect skin. They never expected for their acne to clear up on this diet. For these people, baked, even fried protein foods will clear up their complexion.

Alright guys, it's simple :)

Greasy food is generally fried / deep fried food. Eating deep fried food, as far as free radicals go, is like smoking. You're generating a shitload from all the oxidation that everything is going through, and the food you're eating is draining your antioxidant reserves. This is bad! Some people (like Wai) will say, uh oh, better eat all raw! This isn't the case. In general, steamed, poached, sauteed and stir fried is best. Make sure you're using the right oils for the right job (usually coconut oil).

Greasy food is generally fried / deep fried food. Eating deep fried food, as far as free radicals go, is like smoking. You're generating a shitload from all the oxidation that everything is going through, and the food you're eating is draining your antioxidant reserves. This is bad! Some people (like Wai) will say, uh oh, better eat all raw! This isn't the case. In general, steamed, poached, sauteed and stir fried is best. Make sure you're using the right oils for the right job (usually coconut oil).

Sure, fried food is 'bad' and unhealthy. But since this is an acne forum, the question is "does it cause acne?"

I have never once heard anyone say that they stopped eating fried foods and their acne cleared up.

Same with smoking. It's terribly disgusting and unhealthy, but I have never once heard anyone say that their acne went away when they quit smoking.

Sure, fried food is 'bad' and unhealthy. But since this is an acne forum, the question is "does it cause acne?"

I have never once heard anyone say that they stopped eating fried foods and their acne cleared up.

Same with smoking. It's terribly disgusting and unhealthy, but I have never once heard anyone say that their acne went away when they quit smoking.

Open your ears please and stop giving this horrible advice. First of all, it's only logical that greasy food does NOT HELP acne sufferers. If it does anything it hurts acne sufferers by putting more grease into the system that has to go through the liver and if you are lucky gets ejected at the bathroom. Most people though have some of this oil/grease go through their bodies and out through their largest organ - the skin. This is only common sense and does not need to be "scientifically explained/proven". Where else do you think the grease would go? It gets turned into fat, and most of the rest ejected through the bathroom or through the skin. Some clogs arteries but that wasn't the question.

For smoking, it has been shown that smoking makes the skin worse. Not creating acne but by just drying it out and leaving a tar film over the skin similar to what occurs in your lungs. So this change in the skin texture can cause acne. If you have smoked for years, then stopping will do little because your body is already soaked in all the chemicals the smoking has caused. Your lungs won't just clean once you quit. You have to live with the damage you have done and hope to not get lung cancer. Same thing goes with your skin and what the smoking has done to that.

Advice: stop eating greasy foods. Why are you eating greasy foods anyway? They serve no value. Smoke if you want. But, smoking does not rank high when it comes to acne or defeating acne.

Case closed.

:ninja:

Yes guys heated oils I also agree is bad.. But still for healthy skin we need EFA... or example Olivie Extra virgin Oil you can add your salad but not burn/heat... (Beauty Models choice: 2 table spoon organic olivie oil + EFA a day)

Hmm I think people might have misinteprated my question.

It wasnt the eating of it that I was asking caused...as I too believe my acne doesnt change when I eat a little bit of it.

Im talking about being around the smell of it..like when I open the oven. does that cause acne?

Also I dont always mean fried things..I mean the fat/oil caused by cooking things any how..Usually I do things like steak or chicken in the oven this then makes its own oil whilst cooking and Im concerned about the vapours and smells not eating the food.

-Rob

Hmm I think people might have misinteprated my question.

It wasnt the eating of it that I was asking caused...as I too believe my acne doesnt change when I eat a little bit of it.

Im talking about being around the smell of it..like when I open the oven. does that cause acne?

Also I dont always mean fried things..I mean the fat/oil caused by cooking things any how..Usually I do things like steak or chicken in the oven this then makes its own oil whilst cooking and Im concerned about the vapours and smells not eating the food.

-Rob

You know, i'm really not too sure.. I always get paranoid though when my grandma cooks something on the stove.. and it has steam raising from it.. so I never go near the steam from that food in fear that it will break me out :lol:

Open your ears please and stop giving this horrible advice. First of all, it's only logical that greasy food does NOT HELP acne sufferers. If it does anything it hurts acne sufferers by putting more grease into the system that has to go through the liver and if you are lucky gets ejected at the bathroom. Most people though have some of this oil/grease go through their bodies and out through their largest organ - the skin. This is only common sense and does not need to be "scientifically explained/proven". Where else do you think the grease would go? It gets turned into fat, and most of the rest ejected through the bathroom or through the skin. Some clogs arteries but that wasn't the question.

For smoking, it has been shown that smoking makes the skin worse. Not creating acne but by just drying it out and leaving a tar film over the skin similar to what occurs in your lungs. So this change in the skin texture can cause acne. If you have smoked for years, then stopping will do little because your body is already soaked in all the chemicals the smoking has caused. Your lungs won't just clean once you quit. You have to live with the damage you have done and hope to not get lung cancer. Same thing goes with your skin and what the smoking has done to that.

Advice: stop eating greasy foods. Why are you eating greasy foods anyway? They serve no value. Smoke if you want. But, smoking does not rank high when it comes to acne or defeating acne.

Case closed.

:ninja:

You don't appear to be very bright so I don't expect you to understand what I'm about to write, but here it goes.

I'm an extremely healthy person who doesn't eat fried foods and has never even tried to smoke ever in my life. I can't even be around a smoker because the smell makes me very nauseous.

However people shouldn't expect to just have their acne go away by simply switching to a healthy lifestyle. 99% of acne will not clear up from simply being healthy. That's why there are people like Labgirl who work out and eat extremely healthy foods and suffer from very bad acne. In my case as well, I grew up with very health conscious parents and still ended up with acne at age 10.

The worst food for my acne is .....whole wheat, a very 'healthy food'. Of course, it's not healthy for me in particular, but for most people it is. In the rare case that I've had french fries (homemade), I didn't break out at all (this pisses you off for some reason).

That's why to clear up acne, sometimes it is necessary to think outside the box. Unfortunately, for some people, their intellect prevents that option.

This is bad! Some people (like Wai) will say, uh oh, better eat all raw! This isn't the case. In general, steamed, poached, sauteed and stir fried is best. Make sure you're using the right oils for the right job (usually coconut oil).

Yeah, going all raw for health reasons is throwing the baby with the bath water

Now we have two factions: those that say that cooking destroy nutrients and denaturate the molecular structure of the food heated and those that say that cooking does nothing to do and we should eat cooked food

Both are wrong. High temperature and aggressive cooking does denaturate foods and develop toxic substance that are byproduct of proteins and carbohydrates (histamines, acrylamides and so on)

But a food that couldn't be eaten raw (most cruciferous) when gentle cooked in water remain a very nutrients rich and intact healthy food that cooking allow us to consume

I don't think that cooking fumes influcing the skin very superficial have the power to worsen acne

I don't think inhaling fat fumes could break you out, however speaking from experience, inhaling MSG can equal instant breakout of you have an allergy / sensitivity to it..

Humans are the only animals that prepare their food (and I guess humans are the only animals that have acne).

shouldnt be much affect, fats/oils are macromolecules and them evaporating is insane.... but when you eat them, your body digests them into small peices that can be used by your skin