Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amber0203

salicylic acid peel

Most "peels" are 20% or 30%. If those are your only two options, definitely the 12%.

To be honest, though, you will need to use it twice a week for a few weeks to see a big difference. I am using 20%, which is recommended to be used weekly, and that is taking some time....

20% salicylic acid is my very favorite peel.

Some people do a bi-phase peel, consisting of 2%-10% salicylic acid followed by 30%-40% glycolic acid. The salicylic clears the pores, enabling the glycolic to penetrate deeper.

what are the dangers when using salicylic and/or along with glycolic acid for asian skin?

like is there the risk of hyperpigmentation?

2% SA doesnt equal to a 10% GA, you find 2% SA in stuff like OXY Cleanser, Clean and Clear Cleanser ect.

True...but at a pH too high to be very effective. A 10% glycolic at the same pH as those products would also be extemely mild. Even at a lower pH, a 10% glycolic is still generally very mild for most people.

You should look for a pH around 2 for any acid products to be effective.

And cleansers with acids in them are pretty much useless, the pH is way too high and they are not left on your skin long enough to have any effect.

Personally, my regimine is a 2-5% salicylic and a 10% lactic or glycolic every day. And a 10% salicylic, and an 85% lactic or 70% glycolic weekly. However I worked up to this routine and it should not be used by beginners who don't know how their skin responds to acids.

does anyone know what the pH of the 2%SA in the Clean and Clear Astringent is. I tried emailing the company but haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks...

does anyone know what the pH of the 2%SA in the Clean and Clear Astringent is. I tried emailing the company but haven't gotten a reply yet. Thanks...

The only way to know for sure if the company doesn't respond (which they probably wont) is to test with pH strips. But my guess would be that it's between 3 and 4. Most drugstore brands are. It's not completely ineffective, but not the best option either.

I got a response from Johnson and Johnson and they said the pH of the SA in the Clean and Clear astringent is between 2.6-2.8 which is pretty good I think. Just wanted to let ya'll know.

I like Clean and Clear's 2% SA astringent (the peach-colored one). It used to contain camphor, but thank God they did away with that gunk--smelling like moth balls was no fun.

If you apply it liberally, then let it absorb, and then apply a second and third layer, you can actually get a "sting," and some decent exfoliation. It's also useful as a prep for a stronger peel.