Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
royksopp

Accutane is bringing sexy back.

After about three years of dealing with this, i've decided to take the plunge. I'd basically practiced my speech to the dermatologist for 2 weeks and was determined to be prescribed Accutane. I'd gone through Minocycline, Doxycycline, Tetracycline, Ampicillin, Brevoxyl8, Proactive, ACV, Baking Soda, CSR, you name it... nothing ever got me totally clear.

I almost feel bad in a way for starting on Accutane. I don't have cystic acne, or acne that causes severe scarring, but I just want to go back to my old self again that doesn't have to spend two hours in the bathroom every day to maintain an OK level of clarity. Especially being a dude!

Day 1

Wow. I think I prepared too much for my dermatologist visit. She agreed to give me accutane after about 3 minutes of me ranting. That was easy. She put me on 40/mg a day for the first month, saying that it should prevent an IB. I'm 20 yo., 165 lbs, 6'.

I picked up my prescription that night, and popped my first 20mg. No adverse side affects. Whoo.

Day 2

I woke up with a headache and dry flakey skin. did accutane kick in already or am i crazy? haha

Two pimples that were waiting under the skin for the past week popped right through overnight, sweet.

I'm not going to take my second dose this morning because I am going out with friends for the day and I want to have my last drinking binge.

What can you all recommend for good moisturizer and lipbalm? Anything that is not glossy would be great. I don't think the liquidlips look would be great for me. I don't want to look like i just laquered my face when i come in to work in the morning.

My doc told me that starting off at 40 mg would lessen my IB but not completely prevent it. My new dosage, which is in my signature, starts tomorrow. I'm def in the midldle of my IB. But hopefully you won't get one, since your skin doesn't sound too bad. Your derm must be pretty cool for letting you go on accutane without cystic acne!! Good luck with everything.

My doc told me that starting off at 40 mg would lessen my IB but not completely prevent it. My new dosage, which is in my signature, starts tomorrow. I'm def in the midldle of my IB. But hopefully you won't get one, since your skin doesn't sound too bad. Your derm must be pretty cool for letting you go on accutane without cystic acne!! Good luck with everything.

Cool. thx for the input. yah, I don't think mine will be too bad since I got mostly clear with CSR. Yah, my derm is definately cool. I just hope I don't regret this. Good luck with your new dosage tomorrow!

Day 3

I decided to do a little construction on my amnesteen box. It terrifies me everytime I open the box to see a deformed picture of a baby, so cut a few of those box tabs off. It makes me feel horribly guilty haha. Seriously - I get it. And if I didn't, i would be reminded when i have to peel off the "no pregnancy cartoon" tab to get my damn pill out. Can they please make a non threatening box for us dudes?

Anyway, when I finally woke up this morning I was feeling a little weird. Its that feeling you get when you're getting over a cold. I have a bit of a headache, and my ears have been super sensitive all day and my eyes feel a little messed up. Maybe its karma telling me to stop making glass eye jokes with my friends.

I thought about stopping accutane for a while today, but decided to man up and go through it.

Welcome to the boards. I noticed that you are looking for a chapstick. I recommend Burt's Bees. It's not shiny at all, works well, and is a little minty so very soothing. I use that and Neutrogena...usually Neutrogena for day because it has SPF 15 and Burt's at night. I hear Aquaphor is also good, but I haven't found any yet.

Good luck!!

Good luck with your course! I just started up again, so hope all goes well :) I wish my skin started drying out...it's still super oily :|

hey that feeling you got right before you get a cold is something i consistently feel on accutane. don't be alarmed if it returns. you are so funny. those little pregnancy tabs are super annoying! my best friend found one in her house the other day and she didn't know where it came from. she was like, i found the funniest little thing today and showed me. i just cracked up laughing and told her where it came from....welcome and congrats on beginning a new life....

Hey

for lipbalm i reccomend Carmex. It has menthol, camphor and salicylic acid so it will help when your lips start peeling away. I also use vaseline over top.

So basically i use carmex and then apply a layer of vaseline voer top. The vaseline i usually eat off after about 20 mins, but the carmex lasts longer.

P.S. Carmex is not glossy, more waxy. And ...it has a money back gaurantee.

Hey

for lipbalm i reccomend Carmex. It has menthol, camphor and salicylic acid so it will help when your lips start peeling away. I also use vaseline over top.

So basically i use carmex and then apply a layer of vaseline voer top. The vaseline i usually eat off after about 20 mins, but the carmex lasts longer.

P.S. Carmex is not glossy, more waxy. And ...it has a money back gaurantee.

yea i had headaches too my first 3 days taking accutane. I'm also on 40mg a day so hopefully that works out. my eyes also felt funky too while i had those headaches but the headaches and the funky eyes went away. now i'm just dealing with chapped lips. I'm on day 7 and my skin probably looks about the same but it feels a lot better now that it's less oily. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Day 4

I'm a lucky bastard. This stuff is actually working already. I know i'll probably get an IB in the next week or so, but my skin looks really good today. I actually got compliments on it already.

However...

This morning I really loaded on the moisturizer because I was afraid that my face was really going to dry out today at work. I literally globbed it on this morning, and I thought it was fine. Until I got to work and i used the b.r.: HOLY SHINEFACE. I looked redonculous. And i washed off about 3 layers of moisturizer. Now i'm fine.

Headache and eyes not so ki-ki-killer today. :eh:

Question: I am on day 5 and my face seems much more oilier than before accutane. Is this to be expected, and do I have to wear moisturizer during this time? Thanks!

Question: I am on day 5 and my face seems much more oilier than before accutane. Is this to be expected, and do I have to wear moisturizer during this time? Thanks!

That happened to me too.....it got really bad, and my whole face started itching, more so where I have the most sebaceous glands like in my T-zone......then one day the oil just stopped.......it's ben gone since......

Day 7

My skin looks pretty shitty today. Its still much more oily than when I began tane, and my face is getting a bit bumpier, red and irritated. arghhhhh. I hope this is the IB and that it goes quickly.

yea i'm on day 11 but the past 2 days my face seemed a lot more oiler than it did before starting accutane. I don't know why. The first 5-6 days on accutane were great for me too. i had less oil and my face was actually clearing up, then probably around day 8 my face felt like crap. but yea, day 11 and it seems like my oil production is calming down now. it still feels oily at times but definitely not as much as 2 days ago. oh yea, i broke out really badly too when my oil production got all crazy and i'm still recovering from it. i'm hoping that was my IB too. anyways, good luck man, we both have a long way to go but i'm sure it'll only get better.

Heya!!! i take it your a JT fan lol! neways all the best for your treatment and keep us all posted with how you go! i started 20mg this morning lol :razz: XxOoxX!

Firstly, BRING IT BACK!! :dance::lol:

I can't believe were on the same dose and u started feeling these syptoms practically into the second day heheh. Ive been on it for a month now and i didnt notice dry skin untill maybe a week ago and its just on my arms (very small amounts) and on my neck under my chin. Face isnt dry at all and it was never that oily either.

Your 1 month behind me, hope we SUCCEEEED!! No... we WILL succeed :D

Day 8

Saweeet. Oil is gone today. Lips are dry. My skin looks pretty healthy overall.

I think its really kicking in...

You all rock!

Day 8

Saweeet. Oil is gone today. Lips are dry. My skin looks pretty healthy overall.

I think its really kicking in...

You all rock!

Great to hear!!! :clap: hope it keeps gettin betta 4 ya! XxOoxX!

hey we started the same day! and the same dose! good luck with your treatment!

ya my skin got oily too, i think it's cuz we never really used such moisturizing products..i stopped using moisturizer because i dont need it right now...but now its okay, its still oily, but not as much..and ive got just slightly chapped lips...nothing severe..i hope it stays this way (the side effects..lol)

Day 10

Skin's lookig pretty good overall. I have a few big papules that are coming to the surface, but nothing that I can't handle or that is out of the ordinary. Its so nice to have skin that is dry all the time, it feels so clean.

Doh! I did just notice that i'm getting a cyst on my left cheek.... something i haven't had to deal with in months. Sweeettt. :rolleyes:

Side effects: Nothing bad at all. I've been taking Vitamin E and fish oil pills... so no muscle/joint pain, and no extreme dryness, except for lips. Doin okay!

i posted a pic the other day, but i looked like a greaseball, so maybe i'll post an updated one soon.

Day 11

Some lower back pain - but i work out every night so I don't attribute it to the accutane completely.

I tried doing that DIP regimen thing and i think its a bad idea for tane users because it dries your skin wayy too much.

My skin looks good today though. A couple papules that still haven't completely surfaced, but i don't care - i'll be optimisic.

I can't get that stupid Chicken Noodle Soup song out of my head. It is horrible, and catchy, and i love it.

A let it rinnnnnnng.

Pick it uppp.

A let it rannnngg

a pick it up.

Chicken Noodle Soup.

Chicken Noodle Soup.

Chicken Noodle Soup and a soda on the side.

mehh

oh and i had this funny idea today that they should build those red & blue LED acne fighting light things into cell phones. Motorola SKN?

aw, where the pic?

what will they think of next on cell phones!? haha. sorry to hear you are having back pain :( every day! ambitious aren't you? right on to your skin looking good. what is justin t saying in the "bringing sexy back song"? go heavy go?

THE DEBAUCHEROUS PICS, FOOLS

Sorry, they are not really not that exciting.

I saw my Mom today, and she told me that my skin looked worse than ever hahah. Thanks for being blunt, Mom. The funny part was her trying to dig herself out after I pretended to be offended.

So i'm in IBD (Initial Breakout Denial). Whatev, I can deal with it. And now, here are some fotos of me being a complete tool with a fresh haircut that makes me look like i'm 12 years old:

[attachmentid=6272][attachmentid=6273]

post-30563-1160454047_thumb.jpg

post-30563-1160454187_thumb.jpg

post-30563-1160454047_thumb.jpg

post-30563-1160454187_thumb.jpg