Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay so I just finished Accutane a couple of days ago and of course I am clear from that, but I am still interested in eating healthy for maintaince and Im also doing it for digestive reasons.

Currently I am taking Yasmin BC to regulate my hormones and also a probiotic to undo the damage of the antibiotic I was on before accutane. My digestive system is not working properly because I am not regular with my bowels and I frequently feel bloated/gasey.

As of now my diet consists of plenty of veggies (mostly raw), olive oil, fruits, fish (salmon & snapper), organic eggs, nuts, seeds, chicken, and im not going to lie but I do get starbucks everyday lol. Other than that I drink plenty of water.

I am reading all of these things about Evening Primose oil, cod liver oil, fish oil, multi vitamins etc. I am so confused what to take! Is there an oil that has all three in one? Do I need to take any additional vitamins? I have vitamin E,C,B complex, and Zinc in my house right now but they are synthetic and I feel like its maybe a waste to take them. Can anyone please tell me what would be the best supplements to take to maintain my clear skin and help improve my digestion?

I would love to hear what you all think! Please share you knowledge :angel:

Stay with the Triphala for two weeks.

Drink kefir every day.

Eat more simple meals.

Thanks for the reply R.S! Okay I am def going to start taking the Triphala religiously because I have been only doing it here and there. What is kefir and where do I get it? In any special form?

Any advice on the oils?

Kefir is a fermented dairy beverage that's basically drinkable yogurt, however it has more probiotic cultures then yogurt as well as most probiotic pills. Unlike yogurt where you have to eat it daily to get maximum benenfit, kefir is said to be able to establish colonies of good bacteria in your gut on it's own. Homemade kefir will have way more good bacteria then a probiotic pill, I think storebought has more too because PB pills have rarely helped me but kefir makes a difference. Helios is a good brand. Contrary to what probiotic pill companies will tell you, dairy is a near perfect medium for putting good bacteria in the gut.

As far as the oils - the main thing you need to worry about is omega 3's (which is in both fish oil and cod liver oil so you don't need both unless you want the extra vit. A and D from cod) and GLA, an anti-inflammatory omega 6 (which is in Evening Primose/Borage Oil as well as hemp seeds and spirulina). Personally I try to buy as few supplements as possible (I only take 2, one being Triphala and the other being MSM) so I try to get most of this through my diet, which would be spirulina for the GLA, as well as fish and omega-3 eggs for the 3's. Also, cod liver oil breaks me out horribly...

I don't think the oils are much useful for digestion, the main role GLA has is balancing hormones, and the omega-3's are anti inflammatory and essential to health, though I don't know if they do much for the gut.

Acidic oracid promoting foods as well as fats(lemons/vinegar/oils/fat) make you "gassy", these are not bad foods but if its a problem.

Kefir is a fermented dairy beverage that's basically drinkable yogurt, however it has more probiotic cultures then yogurt as well as most probiotic pills. Unlike yogurt where you have to eat it daily to get maximum benenfit, kefir is said to be able to establish colonies of good bacteria in your gut on it's own. Homemade kefir will have way more good bacteria then a probiotic pill, I think storebought has more too because PB pills have rarely helped me but kefir makes a difference. Helios is a good brand. Contrary to what probiotic pill companies will tell you, dairy is a near perfect medium for putting good bacteria in the gut.

As far as the oils - the main thing you need to worry about is omega 3's (which is in both fish oil and cod liver oil so you don't need both unless you want the extra vit. A and D from cod) and GLA, an anti-inflammatory omega 6 (which is in Evening Primose/Borage Oil as well as hemp seeds and spirulina). Personally I try to buy as few supplements as possible (I only take 2, one being Triphala and the other being MSM) so I try to get most of this through my diet, which would be spirulina for the GLA, as well as fish and omega-3 eggs for the 3's. Also, cod liver oil breaks me out horribly...

I don't think the oils are much useful for digestion, the main role GLA has is balancing hormones, and the omega-3's are anti inflammatory and essential to health, though I don't know if they do much for the gut.

Okay thanks for the info on the kefir! I'll def be looking into that to help out. Also I was wondering what you thought about Udo's oil which has Evening Primose oil, flax oil, coconut oil, and a couple others I cant remember... but thanks for the heads up on that cod liver oil :cool:

LuckyMan: Yeah some of the foods may be causing the gasey feeling and bloating. I usually only eat fats consisting of either salmon, or olive oil, and of course nuts and seeds. I eat a lot of raw veggies though. Hmmm I dunno :think:

Sugggest to take:

Total EFA Liquid ( Per 1 tb spoon contain 290M GLA)

Take Probiotic good one (15-20 billion live.O You allready taken)

Take Digest Enzmyes or Multi Enzymes (with meals so you wont have problem with digest foods)

Thanks for all the replys! I have been using the triphala for 2 days now and it was MUCH better today.

BTW: I eat raw veggies, but not starchy ones like broccoli, mostly just lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, onions etc. I have also been incorporating soy into my diet with silk soy milk, tofu, and yogurts.

R.S: I got the kefir, and the brand you recommended. I got it in the vanilla flavor because I heard it was tough to drink plain :sick: Im going to drink it tomorrow, im a little scared of the taste haha. My main concern with the whole becoming "regular" thing was that the toxins would come out of my skin instead.

I'll keep updating to let you all know how it works ;)

The flavored kefirs taste realllly good, I haven't had vanilla but raspberry and strawberry are great. A little high in sugar though, so I usually opt for plain and add stevia into it, works for me.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the toxins coming out of your skin thing, haven't you been clear for awhile?

Yeah Ive been clear for a couple of months because of accutane, but this is my second time taking it so I am very aware of the occurance of a relapse. I am also trying to optimize my health and starting with the importance of a well functioning disgestion.

I guess I could have got the plain and sweetened it. Never thought of that haha. But I did notice it contains a lot of sugar. I was thinking I could put it in my cereal since it was vanilla it may not taste too bad. I'll have to try it out :angel:

I am still trying to learn as much as i can about nutrition. And you and these boards have helped so much! I truly appreciate everyones replys and help ;)

Birth control pills contribute to candida overgrowth. I'm sorry to say, but as long as you are on them, you will probably never get any candida you have under control, no matter what kind of probiotics you are taking. You are probably experiencing bloating and digestive issues because of candida overgrowth. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a board search and google. Really understanding the root cause of your acne takes a lot of diligence on your behalf.

Birth control pills contribute to candida overgrowth. I'm sorry to say, but as long as you are on them, you will probably never get any candida you have under control, no matter what kind of probiotics you are taking. You are probably experiencing bloating and digestive issues because of candida overgrowth. If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a board search and google. Really understanding the root cause of your acne takes a lot of diligence on your behalf.

That's true. All that constant extra estrogen really takes its toll. I also believe that birth control pills are contributing to the rise in western countries' average weights. That, along with many other drugs that promote weight gain. Did you know that the average weight gain for Paxil is 15 lbs!!!

Funny, how repubs like to tell us that we just aren't exercising enough. Sure, those chubby construction workers and double shift waitresses aren't active enough and just eat all day.

Estrogen makes women retain water and gain fat- Birth control pills mimic pregnancy by preventing normal ovulation. I cant' tell you how many friends I've had stop birth control and suddenly lose weight. And the pharmaceutical companies say they don't make you gain any weight....hmmmm

Update:

R.S: This is my third consecutive day using the Triphala. Today has been the biggest change because I have gone #2 three times already (sorry if this grosses anyone out :hand: ) Is this normal? safe? Maybe my body is just cleansing all the junk that was backed up, im not sure, or too familiar with how the whole digestive system works. Anyways I just wanted to let ya know, make sure that was normal, and also say that that triphala is working! :razz:

thats very normal.. and very healthy. Also you may want to try fasting along with the use of triphala, that is what I have been doing to get rid of all the build up fecal matter I have in my colon.. I suffer from constant bloating and constipation which i believe is the main cause of my acne. I started with a 2 day juice fast, ate light for 2 days, and started a water fast today. I have been awake for 12 hours and haven't eaten a single thing. The digestive enzymes that usually hold residence in my stomache should have moved on to the intestines and will begin dececrating the built up matter/toxins there. They will then enter the colon and the bloodstream, which I am scared of because they will cause headaches, fatigue, and other symptoms. I'm hoping the triphala will be able to flush out the toxins before that happens though. .

Okay nice to hear its normal :angel:

About the fasting, I dont know if I could do it. I get very shaky and my sugar falls when I dont eat. Its weird it will just hit me like a rock and its like I need to eat within 15 minutes. BUT also I have been loosing weight since beginning to eat healthy and I dont wish to loose anymore. Good luck with it!

If all of whats coming out of my butt lol is build up from the past, then I am shocked! I knew I didnt eat that much yesterday/today haha... uuuuggghh gross :wacko:

ps) I love how I am sharing my bowel movements with the entire world lol

Update:

R.S: This is my third consecutive day using the Triphala. Today has been the biggest change because I have gone #2 three times already (sorry if this grosses anyone out :hand: ) Is this normal? safe? Maybe my body is just cleansing all the junk that was backed up, im not sure, or too familiar with how the whole digestive system works. Anyways I just wanted to let ya know, make sure that was normal, and also say that that triphala is working! :razz:

That's great to hear, I think it's fine to go 3 times a day but any more then that and you may want to start worrying. But it's better then going once every three days! So is your digestion getting any better? The kefir should help too, it's one of the fastest ways to get the good guys back in your gut and seeing as you just got off Accutane, you shouldn't have any problem with dairy (hopefully).

P.S. I am in denial that hot girls go poo...

Okay nice to hear its normal :angel:

About the fasting, I dont know if I could do it. I get very shaky and my sugar falls when I dont eat. Its weird it will just hit me like a rock and its like I need to eat within 15 minutes. BUT also I have been loosing weight since beginning to eat healthy and I dont wish to loose anymore. Good luck with it!

If all of whats coming out of my butt lol is build up from the past, then I am shocked! I knew I didnt eat that much yesterday/today haha... uuuuggghh gross :wacko:

ps) I love how I am sharing my bowel movements with the entire world lol

i am very concerned with weight loss too, however I have heard that while fasting you will lose a pound a day.. this is the case for me with water fasting. but with juice fasting I didn't lose any weight. also with water fasting, after the fast your body will begin to store more fat in case of future fasts so I am hoping I will actually gain weight after the fast. We will see. A juice fast would satisfy your sugar levels more than enough.. juice fasting involves juicing carrots and spinach and whatnot as I didn't realize until i read about it. If this is something you think you would benefit from you should give it a shot.

R.S: Yah, so i opened the kefir this morning and reluctantly took a slip. Then I rushed to the cabinet for some cereal to take the taste away, repeating "Dont throw up, Don't throw up" OMG is that stuff thick and ewwwww! How much of it do I have to get down a day? :sick:

I feel great so far though :) I am going to continue this for 2 weeks like you said and see how everything works. I am hesistant to ask, but is the majority of whats coming out stuff thats been in my body for a while? Also is there anything else I can incorporate into my diet/lifestyle to add to my results?

Knowshow: You are def right. I have heard a lot of good things about fasting with 1 particular type of fruit (apples) or just juicing to give your digestion a little break. I will consider doing this in the future, but good luck with yours ;)

And Yes, its hard to imagine most people sitting on a toilet haha

I dont' know if the majority of what's coming out is old, only you could know that! Hint: it'll smell horribly bad.

There's always more things to incorporate into diet, that's the damn trouble with it. Man I can't believe you don't like the kefir, for me it's like a milkshake smoothie... And those flavored ones are really good...

But yeah, if you're not doing green smoothies you can add those in and in no time you'll be the healthiest girl on the planet. Leafy greens are the healthiest common food you can get really, with kale being the best (but very strong tasting; I recommend baby romaine lettuce, the darker the better).

Update day 3:

It feels like im bloated/backed up again today. It could have been the pint of frozen yogurt I had last night/today, but I am getting really frustrated. I went to whole foods today and wanted to try one of the smoothies with sprulina in it ewww its was black and gross. So I got a fruit one with strawberries and blueberries instead. How do you guys drink that stuff?

I want to start green smoothies but im guessing ill have to east into it. Are there any receipes I can start with that wont make me wanna vommit? lol

But I would love to the the healthiest girl ever ;)

Read the smoothie thread that is flaoting around here.

Homemade smoothies are better because you can tailor them to your own tastes. I never liked store bought smoothies because they always had mango or pear or something else I didn't like.

I didn't think I would like green smoothies but I drink like 2 pitchers a day now. They are oddly tasty.

Update day 3:

It feels like im bloated/backed up again today. It could have been the pint of frozen yogurt I had last night/today, but I am getting really frustrated. I went to whole foods today and wanted to try one of the smoothies with sprulina in it ewww its was black and gross. So I got a fruit one with strawberries and blueberries instead. How do you guys drink that stuff?

I want to start green smoothies but im guessing ill have to east into it. Are there any receipes I can start with that wont make me wanna vommit? lol

But I would love to the the healthiest girl ever ;)

Awe man, I love my spirulina in a smoothie now haha. Honestly it's something I LIKE, not force myself to down. I used to just take it straight with stevia. Try drinking kale juice... ahahahahahaha.

Okay green smoothies are easy as hell though... Here's what I do most of the time:

Apple

Bananna

About a handful of frozen berry medley or frozen pineapples or grapes

5oz. bag of baby romaine lettuce

3 spoonfuls coconut flakes for fat

Stevia

Spirulina (optional)

You could also add yogurt, rice milk, or soy milk for texture / taste.

But man, I can't believe you don't like the flavored kefirs! The plain one I can understand, I put stevia in mine...

But yeah, green smoothies are just ridiculously good for you and ridiculously fast and easy and tasty, so they win in all categories...

Update:

WOW R.S! Thanks so much for recommending the Triphala. Everything seems to be really moving along if you know what I mean haha. Also I dont know if its just me but it seems like eating an apple really really helps too! It will be 1 week on sunday. You think I should do it for a total of 2 weeks and then see how my digestion works on its own?

Yeah im sure the green smoothies are great for you. My only concern with the fruit ones is that I dont think its good to consume that much fruit at one time. I know that the GI index is low for say an apple, but if you put 2 apples, strawberries, pinnaple and whatever greens in the blender then isnt that defeating the purpose when you take the GL into account (quanity). Im going out to a nice resturant tonight and im going to order a watercress salad and baked salmon yuuummm! Its amazing how I used to cringe at the thought of eating those things and now I absolutely love them! I know it would be the same way with the green smoothies but I think I need to ease into it. Is there any green smoothies that dont taste tooo too bad and will grow on me?

Also I havent gotten up the courage to drink the kefir again... I know I need to suck it up :rolleyes: Also the soy yogurts taste sooo gross to me! It took me a while to like the activa by Dannon, but now it tastes sooo good like candy haha. I think I already asked about the yogurt but do you have any good soy organic ones you recommend?

Thanks so much you and everyone else have been so helpful :angel: I only wish someday I can know as much as you! ;)