Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum007

Cystic acne sucks!

Hi,

I post under the Accutane logs but was looking for more sympathy here, too :cry:

I have had cystic ance since my teens with a long break from it during the time I was on BCP's. I'm 40, now, and it's back with a vengence. It's painful and disfiguring and I hate it soooo much. I started 40mg accutane generic a few days ago. Don't you think I need a higher dose? I usually get 2-3 cysts at a time. Right now I have 2. One on my chin where you would imagine a witch would have a huge wart. And one over my right eyebrow that hurts whenever I move that brow.

I am kicking myself for letting this go on so long. Doxycycline cleared me up nicely and keeps me clear, but only at 200mg per day. And then I can NOT go near the sun without feeling like I am cooking (I have a convertible and was thinking of selling because of this). Plus, I think it was starting to tear up my lower gut.

I now have many purple scars and a few divets. I have another 3 weeks or so before I can get a refill or get my dosage uppped on my accutane, so for now I am doing Dan's CSR to keep the breakouts to a minimum.

I'll read some of your posts and comiserate with you.

Here's to a puss-less day,

Platinum

Hi,

I post under the Accutane logs but was looking for more sympathy here, too :cry:

I have had cystic ance since my teens with a long break from it during the time I was on BCP's. I'm 40, now, and it's back with a vengence. It's painful and disfiguring and I hate it soooo much. I started 40mg accutane generic a few days ago. Don't you think I need a higher dose? I usually get 2-3 cysts at a time. Right now I have 2. One on my chin where you would imagine a witch would have a huge wart. And one over my right eyebrow that hurts whenever I move that brow.

I am kicking myself for letting this go on so long. Doxycycline cleared me up nicely and keeps me clear, but only at 200mg per day. And then I can NOT go near the sun without feeling like I am cooking (I have a convertible and was thinking of selling because of this). Plus, I think it was starting to tear up my lower gut.

I now have many purple scars and a few divets. I have another 3 weeks or so before I can get a refill or get my dosage uppped on my accutane, so for now I am doing Dan's CSR to keep the breakouts to a minimum.

I'll read some of your posts and comiserate with you.

Here's to a puss-less day,

Platinum

Heya, join the club in the "older" group kicking themselves for letting it go on so long. I'm 37 and had cystic acne since 13, crazy really (in the old days they said there's nothing to treat it with, so didn't bother for ages as well).

I started on 40mg, see how the side effects go, mine are pretty strong, especially with join and muscle aches. I've just been upped to 80mg though and it wasn't too much worse than 40, so I think its probably worth trying and more chance of longer term success.

The good thing is I've only had 4 cysts since starting accutane, 2 when starting and 2 when increasing the dose, so I do feel strangely optimistic. I have to totally avoid the sun as well. Feel like a vampire atm :).

Hi. I am hoping I can have the holes filled with collegen or something. I know the purple scars fade over time but those divets really bother me.

Oh, BTW, I feel a new cyst coming up on my chin, under my lip. The derm gave me a topical steroid to put on when I feel it coming. It worked on the one I tried earlier. I felt the pain but no redness or swelling and put the topical on 2x per day (bottle says once per day.......F that !). It went away in about 3 or 4 days..... :dance: .

Do you post under the Accutane Logs? I'm sorry you are having joint pain. I don't know if I could stand that side effect because I work out a lot. I am a big baby if anything hurts :cry: .

Continued good luck to you,

Platinum

Hi Platinum, sorry to hear you are suffering, I was just wondering if you ever tried steaming or soaking your face in hot water? I'm only 25 but I've been dealing with acne for almost 7 years now! Right now I've managed to get it down to mild and hopefully it's on it's way to none existent! Seriously though try the steaming, what I do is soak a wash cloth in bearable hot water and let it sit on my face til the wash cloth cools down and repeat a few times. Also about a week ago along with steaming I've been soaking my face with hot water for about 2 min. each time and twice a day. I haven't been using Bp everyday but so far my face is getting better everyday. The hot water really gets that acne causing garbage out of your face and makes your skin feel so nice all day. Maybe start off one day soak and steam and don't use Bp and then the next day use Bp, alternate everyday til your not using any chemicals on your face. It's so great to see my face getting better without constant topical crap! Good luck, I know how painful and upsetting cystic acne can be! Oh and one more thing, Evening Primrose oil for women! It's good for PMS,menopause, and hormone balance, I've been taking that and have experienced improvement.

Hiya again. I also use hot water on the few times I've had cysts (be very very gentle with the skin though, nothing that will tear the skin etc). It's brought them to a "resolution" a lot faster, and come up and gone within about 2 days. Similar thing to Melodie, I soak a cloth in hot water and then leave on for a few mins at a time. I try not to do it too often though, just on the cyst when I think it will help.

The topical steroid sounds interesting though, what name is it? My derm said there was nothing for them (topical) that would help.

The join pain is a bit harsh, especially in mornings, but I'm trying to work out also. I just take it really really carefully when I start. Start easy and then the pain isn't as bad. Almost feels like its more painful when you have been relaxed and then do something, like when I wake up and get out of bed my heels are really painful, but not so bad once I'm on the move.

I started off checking the logs page, but they all seemed a bit similar and too many too fast after a while :).

Hi Platinum, sorry to hear you are suffering, I was just wondering if you ever tried steaming or soaking your face in hot water? I'm only 25 but I've been dealing with acne for almost 7 years now! Right now I've managed to get it down to mild and hopefully it's on it's way to none existent! Seriously though try the steaming, what I do is soak a wash cloth in bearable hot water and let it sit on my face til the wash cloth cools down and repeat a few times. Also about a week ago along with steaming I've been soaking my face with hot water for about 2 min. each time and twice a day. I haven't been using Bp everyday but so far my face is getting better everyday. The hot water really gets that acne causing garbage out of your face and makes your skin feel so nice all day. Maybe start off one day soak and steam and don't use Bp and then the next day use Bp, alternate everyday til your not using any chemicals on your face. It's so great to see my face getting better without constant topical crap! Good luck, I know how painful and upsetting cystic acne can be! Oh and one more thing, Evening Primrose oil for women! It's good for PMS,menopause, and hormone balance, I've been taking that and have experienced improvement.

Hi. I do use hot compresses on the cysts sometimes. I've never tried it on my whole face, though. I suppose it's worth a try. With the accutane, the BP is getting a little harsh. I might have to cut back to once per day instead of 2x per day. I'll try the wash cloth tonight.

Thanks so much.

Platinum

hello platinum!

i'm of the older crowd too and still struggle with acne. mine has ranged from clear to mild to medium to severe and at its worst it left divets as well. so traumatic. birth control has been the only thing that has cleared me up completely...so i am wondering, did they just stop working for you? or did you go off of them?

Hiya again. I also use hot water on the few times I've had cysts (be very very gentle with the skin though, nothing that will tear the skin etc). It's brought them to a "resolution" a lot faster, and come up and gone within about 2 days. Similar thing to Melodie, I soak a cloth in hot water and then leave on for a few mins at a time. I try not to do it too often though, just on the cyst when I think it will help.

The topical steroid sounds interesting though, what name is it? My derm said there was nothing for them (topical) that would help.

The join pain is a bit harsh, especially in mornings, but I'm trying to work out also. I just take it really really carefully when I start. Start easy and then the pain isn't as bad. Almost feels like its more painful when you have been relaxed and then do something, like when I wake up and get out of bed my heels are really painful, but not so bad once I'm on the move.

I started off checking the logs page, but they all seemed a bit similar and too many too fast after a while :).

Hi. The topical I used for a while was Apexicon. It worked about 50% of the time so I was never quite sure if it was the medicine or my own body just fighting it off. I don't know how often cysts resolve on their own. The one I have now is called Cutivate. It has fought off one cyst so far and I am working on a second.

Have you tried fish oil for joint pain? I've heard others on the board say it works. I have been taking it since day one.

Good luck ,

Platinum

I feel like cryin' often, girl....so I understand your pain...I'm in my early 40's and have also been dealing with acne of one form or another since age 13. I seemed to clear spontaneously in my 20's and then the hormonal cysts started in my 30's, after my two kids were born...I"ve used antibiotics, done microdermabrasion and tazorac ( that combo kept me clear for about 8 months) and have recently begun to take spironolactone....if that doesn't work, I"m on to accutane :wacko: The thing is, I only get maybe one cyst every other month or so....and, for some reason, they seem to be worse in the cooler months- like, I went from about april to august with NO cysts at all...the, bammo...september comes and I've had one massive one, and another that has just come up on my chin, below the right corner of my mouth- OUCH!!

It's so depressing because I never scarred from the acne I had in my teens, but the cysts I've had in my thirties have definitely left depressed scars on my chin....and, I"ve had the "divets" from cyst injections too that have usually filled back in, but still left slightly depressed areas....

I just cannot for the life of me understand why we can send a spaceship to mars, but we can't cure ACNE!!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello...hang in there girl...I"ll look forward to hearing about how accutane works for you, as I may not be far behind you

hello platinum!

i'm of the older crowd too and still struggle with acne. mine has ranged from clear to mild to medium to severe and at its worst it left divets as well. so traumatic. birth control has been the only thing that has cleared me up completely...so i am wondering, did they just stop working for you? or did you go off of them?

Hi.

I went off of BC 10 years ago to get pg. My skin was clear for the few months it took to get pg. It was also clear during my pg. After that my skin was clear until about 3-4 years ago. I used topical and antibiotics and finally was convinced by my derm to go on accutane.

So here I am. I have been on Seasonale BC for 11 weeks, now, with no skin improvement. I can't take most BCP's because of the menstrual migraines I get. This one I take 365 days a year with no breaks for a period.

Still, even if BCP's work, the occasional acne I get would still be cystic and scarring. So I thought I might as well end it once and for all. Hopefully I will get a few good years out of the accutane before I hit menopause. My derm is pretty convinced I won't have acne after that.

Thanks for stopping by,

Platinum

Hi Platinum,

I hear ya sister. Cystic sucks and it looks like I may be headed back that way, too. I had it last year after three months on Yasmin :cry: and it was the most disfigured I've every felt, and it's mental and emotional pain as well as physical. If there's going to be a "depression hurts" commercial, there needs to be a "acne hurts, too, yo!" commercial. I wish they'd come up with a miracle cure, one drug for both.

AAAnyway, I hope the Accutane does the trick for you this time. Your photo is really cute! ;)

Hi. Yeah, I know about the depression, too. The most depressing part is having to put makeup on to work in the garden! Every morning I'm either operating on a cyst or trying to cover one up (which almost makes it look worse). Blech! Oh yeah, and they hurt, yo! :razz:

Just popped a whitehead. Thought I'd let ya know.

Good luck with your zits. Are you considering accutane?

Platinum

I feel like cryin' often, girl....so I understand your pain...I'm in my early 40's and have also been dealing with acne of one form or another since age 13. I seemed to clear spontaneously in my 20's and then the hormonal cysts started in my 30's, after my two kids were born...I"ve used antibiotics, done microdermabrasion and tazorac ( that combo kept me clear for about 8 months) and have recently begun to take spironolactone....if that doesn't work, I"m on to accutane :wacko: The thing is, I only get maybe one cyst every other month or so....and, for some reason, they seem to be worse in the cooler months- like, I went from about april to august with NO cysts at all...the, bammo...september comes and I've had one massive one, and another that has just come up on my chin, below the right corner of my mouth- OUCH!!

It's so depressing because I never scarred from the acne I had in my teens, but the cysts I've had in my thirties have definitely left depressed scars on my chin....and, I"ve had the "divets" from cyst injections too that have usually filled back in, but still left slightly depressed areas....

I just cannot for the life of me understand why we can send a spaceship to mars, but we can't cure ACNE!!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello...hang in there girl...I"ll look forward to hearing about how accutane works for you, as I may not be far behind you

Hi.

The thing about all those topicals and hormonal things is that they aren't a cure. They're more of a guard. They keep you from getting acne but only as long as you take them. I am hoping that accutane is permenant for me.

How long will you try the spiro for before you decide to go on accutane? Can I make one point, please? The longer you wait, the more permanent scars you may have. That's why I'm kicking myself for trying all this other stuff when 3 years ago the derm offered me accutane. I have about 100 scars now. Most should fade, as they are the flat, purple scars. But I have maybe 10 divets that I may have to have resurfaced or filled in later. :cry:

Don't wait till your are as scarred up as me.

(They don't have a "climbing off soapbox" smiley). ;)

Platinum

I am 37 and had cysts starting in my 30's. If you are on accuatane, I assume you have to be on Birth Control pills right? I was going to go on accutane but first had to go back on birth control and Yasmin cleared my cystic acne in 2 weeks. My face is flawless except for one scar that a HUGE cyst left after having numerous cortisone injections. So I never went the accutane route, I think cysts at our age are hormonal. If you have not tried Yasmin I would!

[

quote name=birdybird41' date='Oct 3 2006, 08:44 AM' post='1396582]

My cardiologist said to try a different pill other that Yasmin. The diuretic in it can cause potassium levels to raise and I already have heart arrythmias so that might make them worse. He said if I must use Yasmin then I should have my potassium levels checked every month for 3 months.

I am not taking the Seasonale for my face. Just for the iPledge thing. But Seasonale is the one my gyn supplied for taking 365 days a year with no breaks for periods.

Ovcon 35 was great for my face. But I got migraines every month :| .

I hope the Yasmin keeps working for you. I'm glad you found something :dance: . Those cysts are horrible, aren't they?

Platinum

I'm on my 5th month of accutane. I continued to have hormonal cysts during the past 5 months. my gyn told me to start Yasmin and since I've started I haven't gotten ANY new zits or cyts. It makes me think that maybe i should have just done that instead of going on accutane again (i was on accutant 6 years ago in high school for moderate acne - no cysts then).

my gyn told me to just take the Yasmin all the time - no breaks for periods. Just don't take the white (placebo) pills.

Yasmin has a little bit of anti-androgen (spirolactone) in it which i think is what helps with the hormonal acne.

My cardiologist said to try a different pill other that Yasmin. The diuretic in it can cause potassium levels to raise and I already have heart arrythmias so that might make them worse. He said if I must use Yasmin then I should have my potassium levels checked every month for 3 months.

I am not taking the Seasonale for my face. Just for the iPledge thing. But Seasonale is the one my gyn supplied for taking 365 days a year with no breaks for periods.

I hope the Yasmin keeps working for you. I'm glad you found something :dance: . Those cysts are horrible, aren't they?

Platinum

That sux you guys are older now and still have to deal with this acne crap! My mom is 49 but she only gets mild breakouts and very rarely! She'll say to me that her skin looks bad and I tell her, Mom what are you talking about, look at my face!!! She'll have one or two spots that you could only see with a magnifing glass!! I wish I had skin like my mom's! Did any of you try steaming or soaking? I'm still having good results from that.

I'm on my 5th month of accutane. I continued to have hormonal cysts during the past 5 months. my gyn told me to start Yasmin and since I've started I haven't gotten ANY new zits or cyts. It makes me think that maybe i should have just done that instead of going on accutane again (i was on accutant 6 years ago in high school for moderate acne - no cysts then).

my gyn told me to just take the Yasmin all the time - no breaks for periods. Just don't take the white (placebo) pills.

Yasmin has a little bit of anti-androgen (spirolactone) in it which i think is what helps with the hormonal acne.

Platinum

i feel your pain. i had moderate/severe acne when i was in my teens (but no cysts) and went on accutane when i was 18. it totally cleared up my skin for the next 6 years. people used to compliment me on my skin. then suddenly i started gettting cystic acne a year ago. it scars horribly. i've never gotten scars from acne until now. it's depressing and upsetting. But Yasmin/Accutane seems to be working! i haven't gotten a new cyst in 2 months now.

Just a note, most of the girls in my dermatologist's office are on Yasmin... :) .

I like that doctors are now rxing BCPs 365 days a year. There are still doctors who won't do it, but it sounds like more and more are figuring out what us girls knew years ago......no periods are a GOOD thing!

Glad the Yasmin is working for you. I wish I had the nerve to take it. Just afraid of the heart thing.

Platinum

That sux you guys are older now and still have to deal with this acne crap! My mom is 49 but she only gets mild breakouts and very rarely! She'll say to me that her skin looks bad and I tell her, Mom what are you talking about, look at my face!!! She'll have one or two spots that you could only see with a magnifing glass!! I wish I had skin like my mom's! Did any of you try steaming or soaking? I'm still having good results from that.

My mom has never had a zit. Just wrinkles and skin cancer. So I can't say I wish I had skin like hers.

The weird thing is that neither of my parents had acne. And most of my cousins didn't have acne, either. I'm some kind of mutant :cry: .

Platinum