Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jordean23

Help with gaining weight...

I am 5'9" and i weight about 135lbs. I look really skinny, and I want to gain a lot of weight. I have been trying to gain weight for a while and nothings been working. I have been eating more healthy foods and I recently started working out. I also run cross country, and I play on a basketball team, so its kind of hard to gain weight when I have practice like everyday. Can anyone give me tips or ideas on how to gain weight? I can't eat foods such as peanut butter, or any kinds of nuts because they break out my skin. Any help would be great.

I have no idea. i weigh about as much as you and about the same height. iw ould like to gain a little weight too but, i'm not too worried about it. do you lift?

Did you think about weight gainers? If you take that you should lift if you want to gain muscle and not just extra fat though.

But in general you should just eat a LOT. 135 is really skinny.

I am 5'9" and i weight about 135lbs. I look really skinny, and I want to gain a lot of weight. I have been trying to gain weight for a while and nothings been working. I have been eating more healthy foods and I recently started working out. I also run cross country, and I play on a basketball team, so its kind of hard to gain weight when I have practice like everyday. Can anyone give me tips or ideas on how to gain weight? I can't eat foods such as peanut butter, or any kinds of nuts because they break out my skin. Any help would be great.

Discussed.

How To Gain Weight Fast

Case closed.

:ninja:

yes, if anyone has good tips, psot them! my husband is 6 ft and 115 lbs...no joke. doesn't exercise, eats a ton, just looses it due to metabolism!

Two facts:

1) Time fix nothing. So even if you're young don't hold your breath believing that all you have to do is just waiting. There was a similar report about "baby fat". For years people have been saying that a fat kid has just to wait to grow to become tall and lean. The fact is that all clinical studies on the subject (hence the meta-analysis report) show that baby fat becomes adult fat. In other words "time fix nothing" and this applies to gaining weight and many other things

2) Indiscriminate pigging out is not the solution! First of all it is not healthy and it is not effective

The biggest error according to the sport physiology expert Dr. Michael Colgan people make concerning weight is either trying to gain weight or trying to lose weight.

But since what really matters (both physically and aesthetically) is body composition what everyone should aim for is to gain lean mass and lose fat mass (always, this should be always the goal of everyone)

Pigging indiscriminately whatever amount of calories doesn't lead to this goal

When people say "I want to gain weight" or "i want to lose weight" they mean that want to be "lean" so an harmoniously and proportionated lean body mass excessing a functional and minor fat mass

If you just bulk indiscriminately you will be disappointed by the result but how you'll look ... you won't have that physique you hope to obtain by adding weight to your frame

The truth is that there's no need to rush and increasing your lean body mass gradually and methodically will prevent unhealthy side-effect, stress, plateaus, temporary gains, metabolism crashes

The experts agree that the best way to get the body accustomed to the new "maintenance level" of your metabolism (set higher when you gain weight) without activating all those survival mechanisms that will cause plateaus and metabolic crashes or food rejection and ping-ping dieting is to:

INCREASE (or decrease if you want to lose weight) YOU ACTUAL MAINTENANCE LEVEL TO 20% MAX

So going from 1600 calories to 4000 calories in order to gain weight is an "unecessary" folly which may provide temporary fast results at the beginning but which would lead to serious consequences in time and won't deliver the kind of body a person who want to gain weight desires

20% above you maintenance means that you need at least:

18 calories per pound of body weight to gain weight

That's a good start but if that doesn't yeld result in two weeks or three raise it to 20 calories per pound of bw

So you need aproximatively 2500 calories daily

Now, divide that by 5 and you have 500 calories

That means that each meal you consume must contain 500 calories

You consume therefore a breakfast of 500 calories, a middle morning break of 500 calories, a lunch of 500 calorie, an afternoon break of 500 calories and a supper of 500 calories

Each of your meal must contain 24 grams of protein, estimated that add carbs and fats till you have 500 calories

With most proteic food being providing 1/4 of their calories as protein you would need 200 calories of protein food to have 24 grams of protein.

In the morning try to have other 200 calories of your meal as carbs and 100 as fat while in the evening try to have other 200 calories as fat and only 100 as carb in your meal

Since you seem to be very busy with cardio it will be harder for you to gain weight cause cardio at those levels interferes with your mass gain goal

You may want to train 3 times a week one day on and one day off (weekend is rest) alternating upper body and lower body or also having three full bodies a week or also even train each different muscle everyday

Whatever you do don't train alternated upper and lower body or full body every day!

Your muscles can't grow while you're awake and they can't grow while you're using them, in other words they only grow at NIGHT and at REST

Rest is essential for muscle growth (which is a rather simple and basic mechanism) and the lack of rest is the first major culpright when one fails to gain lean mass

Also don't believe that the more you weight the more you gain, all you need to do at the gym to gain muscle is to "create micro lesions on your muscles" so that when they will be repaired in orther for the stimulus that caused the first lesion not to be injuring anymore

So you need to start with small weight and increas it session by session

The best way to know which weight is good for you is to choose a weight you can lift for at least 6 repetitions

Also don't choose too many exercise ... that's useless

Just choose two compound exercises for big muscles (back, chest, legs) and one compound exercise for the small muscles (shoulders, biceps, triceps) and 1 specific exercise for calves and one or two for abs

If you do 3 or 4 exercises with different machine, or one with cables, one with weighted tools, one with barbells, one with dumbbells you will just decrease your chance to gain mass. Keep it simple and basics ...

... and short too, an effective workout last no more than 45-50 minutes

You must also take advantage of the window of opportunity you have immediately after working out

During this time your glycogen stores will be depleted and your body will have an increased sensitivity (hence need) to glucose. Because your body wants you to hava a chance to restore your glycogen stores immediately after a workout there is a massive concentration of glycosynthase enzymes in your blood which will assure that the molecules of glucose you ingest will be converted into muscular glycogen at an 80% more effective rate than usually ... because of this your body will have be very sensitive and tolerant to simple sugars in this phases

Even low-carber (if they're active and athletes) agree that immediately after exercise "strong carbs" are needed. Many people have tried to lift weight while on a low carb hence avoiding the simple high glycemic sugars necessary after a workout to replenish gycogen stores. I've chatted with many of them at "active low-carb forum/chat" and all of them failed and after many tentatives and reading admitted that during the post-workout window of opportunity high GI carbs are essential

That's why the TKD was invented. The TKD is a low-carb diet which allow high GI carbs consumption before and after a workout and it's the standard choice nowadays of many low-carb athletes

What you want to consume during the window of opportunity hence immediately or 10 minutes after your workout is high GI simple carbs, proteins and NO added fat

A good post-workout meal consumed during the window of opportunity can really make the difference between success and failure

The stardand is 80 grams of "dextrose" mixed with 30 grams of whey plus low fat milk or water

But even smarties and eggs would be good or boiled potatoes and tune

Even hot cholate and protein would be good ... the window of opportunity in a way allow you to eat junk sugars without paying the adverse effects of this ... because your body is needing them, is opening all the doors to allow them to become muscular glycogen and is very sensitive (an not resistant) to them

Usually such a post-workout meal contains 400-500 calories

Now, if you take a rest from workouts on the weekend and hence you don't need to consume a "post-workout" smoothie since there's no workout you'll eliminate 400 calories from your diet

Don't replace them!

By decreasing your caloric intake by 400-500 calories (20% indeed) on the weekend (two days a week) you avoid metabolism adaptation, in other words you decrease your metabolism when resting in time for not extra calories to be stored as fat rather than be used to repair your muscles allowing your BMR to remain high enough. This simple measure makes your diet a "calorically modulated" one

This will allow you to gain mass without gaining "excessive" extra fat weight on the process

The last thing to consider is water. Water does miracle to muscle growth and can be considered a magical potion and the most important and effective supplement for muscle growth. Muscle are 80% water and they are influenced by an adequate or inadequate water intake. Expecially their recovery and repairing is affected by water consumption

The ideal water intake is 1ml per calorie consume

That's true, water content is not based on your body weight but the amount of calories you consume

The more calories you consume the more water your body needs

1ml per calorie mean that you must consume 2 and half liters of water MINIMUM through the day, so don't gulp a down a liter in one sitting and then forget to drink for 10 year ... those 2 and half liters must be divided by 6-7 and you must drink a small quanity 6-7 or more times a day

This is a summary of what I suggest you to do

1) consume 2500 calories a day (if that doesn't work up that to 2700 calories)

2) consume 500 calories at each meal (if that doesn't work up that to 550)

3) consume 5 meals a day (breakfast, mid-morning, lunch, afternoon, supper)

4) consume 24 grams of protein at each meal (about 200 calories of a protein food per meal)

5) add (to your 200 calories calories of protein) 200 cal of carbs and 100 cal of fat in the morning meal and 200 cal of fat and 100 cal of carb in the evening meal

6) choose a workout: a) three times a week alternating upper and lower body

b) three times a week full body (HST training)

7) whatever workout you choose alternate a day of workout with a day of rest and make the weekend a time for absolute rest

8) whatever workout you choose start with weights that you can lift without too must strain for 6 times and increase the weight each two sessions

9) always workout the bigger muscles first and the small muscles later (never begin with biceps or triceps) and choose two compound exercises for the bigger muscle and one compound exercise for the small muscle, keep it simple and basic

10) don't make your workout longer than 45-50 minutes

11) consume a post-workout meal immediately after or 10 minutes after your workout

The post-workout meal should be 400-500 calories and contain simple high GI fast absorption carbs/sugars and 25-30 grams of protein and NO added fat

12) drink at least 2 and half liters a water a day, drinking small amount of water many times a day to reach that amount

13) on the weekend during your period of REST the only thing you'll change in your diet is that "logically" you won't have the 400-500 calories of your post-workout smoothie. Don't replace them with anything!

Hope that helps

The last thing to consider is water. Water does miracle to muscle growth and can be considered a magical potion and the most important and effective supplement for muscle growth. Muscle are 80% water and they are influenced by an adequate or inadequate water intake. Expecially their recovery and repairing is affected by water consumption

What the hell?

Miracle?

Magical Potion?

I want what he's smoking!

LOL. Yeah, everyone knows by now to drink 'magical water', but it just ain't working. I've been seeing the same fat ladies at my gym for years with their evian style water bottle attached to their hand- all that water hasn't worked much magic on them.

Constant water drinking is going to do nothing except make you urinate more frequently. New research is showing that the body's thirst mechanism really does work after all and that we aren't in a perpetual state of dehydration as formerly believed.

What the hell?

Miracle?

Magical Potion?

I want what he's smoking!

LOL. Yeah, everyone knows by now to drink 'magical water', but it just ain't working. I've been seeing the same fat ladies at my gym for years with their evian style water bottle attached to their hand- all that water hasn't worked much magic on them.

Constant water drinking is going to do nothing except make you urinate more frequently. New research is showing that the body's thirst mechanism really does work after all and that we aren't in a perpetual state of dehydration as formerly believed.

Clearly water can't be a "magical potion" by itself

It's not like drinking enough of it will make changes in your muscles, body composition and whatnot ... it's just that drinking not enough of it will prevent reaching the maximum potential in these goal

Water is the most important nutrient prerogative of muscle growth, even before protein, cause fiber repairing and fiber synthesing are all dependent on water

As you have seen the National Health Council reccomend an intake of water according to calorie

Fat ladies are on an hypocaloric diet so they need less water than everyone else

Us weight lighter sweat a lot and consume hypercaloric diet therefore the intake of water needed for other functions, including and especially muscle repair, is more than doubled

Why don't you do a little experiment lifting weights for a month, following a proper diet, post-workout nutrition, rest and drinking 1 ml of water per calorie consumed

Then come back to your average and lose all the extra-mass and lift again for a month, following a proper diet, post-workout nutrition, rest and drinking 0.3 ml of water per calorie consumed

You'll see the difference even though your muscle memory will be at work and it should be easier to gain the amount of mass you've lost, it will be harder

Can you cite few references to these studies that would provide that small amount of water are enough to be dehydrated? I didn't say that we're in a perpetual state of dehydration, I posted the body need for water for muscle repairing, bone repairing and every known physiological process; it is very likely that many non-dehydrated people are already drinking that amount instintively because of their thirst

But weight lifting and muscle building increasing the amount of protein and of calories increases the need for water upon which depends the potential of muscle repairing and growth

That's the problem with you guys, you are so worried with looking funny and full of humour that you don't realize your contributes have nothing to do with the post you're replying to or implies extra special mental masturbations of yours that are not correlated with the sentences you're quoting

Before your contribution could make any sense you should prove that I've anywhere in my post stated that fatty girls can lose all their weight just by drinking more water, that thirst mechanism doesn't ever work, that we're always in a state of dehydration ...

Keeping it simple. Eat 500 calories more than you use up per day. When you gain a few pounds, retool that calculation.

The most important thing is to eat so that it maximizes your body's release if insulin (Eating at the right times is important too but with all the activites you do I suspect that your cells will take the insulin quite readily at most times of the day). Regardless of what people tell you certain amino acids release growth hormones in larger quanitites than others.

Sucks that you are on the acne board but insulin and growth hormones are going to get you big. Insulin is the greatest steriod you have to get big and best part about it is that your body readily produces it so read up and learn how to maximize this.

The rest danny covered.

I use to be like 90 lbs at 5'3" up until 3 years ago and I drank Ensure at least once daily and it made me gain lots of weight. It takes some getting use to the taste but if you do it daily you will pay it not attention. Dunno where you live if they sell this.