Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
michelle3

PHOTODYNAMIC LASER TREATMENT

I am 24 and have had severe cystic acne since I was 16. I tried everything, jessner peels, obaji, blue light, accutane, nothing cleared up my skin. Over the spring and summer I have had seven photodynamic laser treatments (it is fairly new and also used for aging skin) and it has cleared up my acne. It also helped plump up my scars a little bit because it improves collagen production. I would definitely recommend this over any other treatment because for me at least it is the only thing that has worked.

hey im so glad u brought this up cus i was considering getting it done and have a consult with a dr the 17 about it but i have mild acne and crzy oily skin with redmarks

does the photodynamic therapy get rid of the oily skin and redmarks to can you please tell me more about it?

hey im so glad u brought this up cus i was considering getting it done and have a consult with a dr the 17 about it but i have mild acne and crzy oily skin with redmarks

does the photodynamic therapy get rid of the oily skin and redmarks to can you please tell me more about it?

It did get rid of the red marks and my face is not oily anymore. I don't know if some photodynamic treatments are different but the one I had they put a keratinizing agent on my skin for 45 minutes. Then they have me wash it off for 5 minutes with water and they do the treatment. I just finished up this summer so I don't know what the long term results will be but so far my skin is really clear. And it was Really bad before I had the treatments so you will probably not need more than four treatments. I have heard some people have to get maintenance treatments every four months or so but it is a pretty new treatment so I don't know if everyone needs maintenance treatments.

Also there is a cream my dermatoligist gave me samples of to take away the initial redness from the laser but if I ended up in the sun at all my skin would peel and be red for a day or two after the treatment.

It is great though I really would recommend it. I went to aesthetician school and I am a licensed aesthetician so I have tried a lot of different treatments that they have and most of them did nothing for me. Especially treatments they do in a spa for your skin like microdermabrasion and facials and extractions really do nothing for skin problems. And accutane did not work either for me but pdl is supposed to be like topical accutane because it also shrinks the oil glands.

good luck!!!

im just wonderin ghow much it cost? but my mom said shed pay for it no matter what the cost i just want to know how much

im just wonderin ghow much it cost? but my mom said shed pay for it no matter what the cost i just want to know how much

Where I live it cost 360 a treatment but I think the cost can vary even from doctor to doctor.

The last one I had was a month and a half ago. The difference between my skin when I started and now is unbelievable. I'll ask my doctor for a copy of the pictures.

The last one I had was a month and a half ago. The difference between my skin when I started and now is unbelievable. I'll ask my doctor for a copy of the pictures.

Can you tell me what you look like afterward? I want to take my son, but he'd like to know if you can go out after the procedure. Also, is it painful?

Afterward if I stayed out of the sun I experienced mild redness and a little peeling. If I was in the sun at all (even as late as 6 pm) I would get very red for a couple of days and my skin would peel.

I did not think this was painful. I get laser hair removal done also and I find that to be very painful but this I don't find to be painful but everyones pain tolerance is different so I don't know if that helps.

Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience. I had the photodynamic procedure 6 times over the course of a year. My acne is significantly better after the treatments, but I do still have moderate acne. I think in the future I may do another series of 3 or I will go on accutane.

In terms of side effects, I was really red for three days and peeled for day 4 and 5. I had to stay at home for all those days b/c of the side effects.

Overall, if I had to go back in time, i would definately do it again.

michelle, how many treatments or how many months was it before you saw your skin really change?

Thanks

mdp703 how bad was ur acne to begien with? and did you notice that ur pores got smaller and decrease in oilyness? and also does this treat redmakrs too?

Michelle, Did you go on Accutaine at all before the PDT and if so, how long were you off it before you took PDT?

i get pdt too, but with levulan. and it's true. it does work. my acne went from severe cystic acne, to milk acne (6 pimples max). and it has helped with some of my scars.