Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VolksWagon87

How do I know if a moisturizer is oil-free?

How do I know if a bottle of moisturizer I use is oil-free or non-comedogenic? The brand is by ARTISTRY and it's a "Delicate Care Calming Moisturiser." It's a temporary moisturizer I borrow from my mom until my permanent one gets shipped to me. It has no labels on the back. When I apply it, there's a slight tingling sensation but my eyes start burning a little. Is this normal for I have never applied a moisturizer before? Thanks. I am starting my official regime when all my products arrive by next week.

A moisturiser shouldnt 'tingle' when you put it on, youre skin is probably too sensitive for it so i would advise you to stop using it.

Oil free moisturisers always state clearly on the label that they are oil free.

Haha, your mom probably buys from Amway/Quixtar. My old boss used to and she'd order a ton of Artistry cosmetics. Here's what Artistry has on their website at http://www.artistry.com/en/skincare/moistu...ect-10652.aspx:

"Delicate Care Calming Moisturiser

* Light, fragrance-free, colorant-free moisturiser that conditions the skin, helping to maintain optimum moisture balance and leaving the skin feeling soft and conditioned.

* Contains Nutrilite-approved grape seed extract, vitamin A and vitamin E, known for their antioxidant properties.

* Exclusive ARTISTRY Hydrolipid Matrix helps hydrate, smooth and protect against moisture loss.

* Natural ingredient complex includes calendula, linden, and chamomile, known for their skin-soothing properties.

* For sensitive skin types."

Probably comedogenic ("Hydrolipid Matrix" should clue you in to that.) Some moisturizers will make your eyes burn pretty badly, especially if you get any BP accidentally mixed in when you moisturize near your eyes. You have to be really careful around your eye area not only not to get any BP near them, but not to rub moisturizer that has touched any BP into your delicate eye skin. I would change moisturizers ASAP or pause the Regimen until you can get a better one, since the eye burning could get worse as the rest of your skin starts drying out more.

Haha, your mom probably buys from Amway/Quixtar. My old boss used to and she'd order a ton of Artistry cosmetics. Here's what Artistry has on their website at http://www.artistry.com/en/skincare/moistu...ect-10652.aspx:

"Delicate Care Calming Moisturiser

* Light, fragrance-free, colorant-free moisturiser that conditions the skin, helping to maintain optimum moisture balance and leaving the skin feeling soft and conditioned.

* Contains Nutrilite-approved grape seed extract, vitamin A and vitamin E, known for their antioxidant properties.

* Exclusive ARTISTRY Hydrolipid Matrix helps hydrate, smooth and protect against moisture loss.

* Natural ingredient complex includes calendula, linden, and chamomile, known for their skin-soothing properties.

* For sensitive skin types."

Probably comedogenic ("Hydrolipid Matrix" should clue you in to that.) Some moisturizers will make your eyes burn pretty badly, especially if you get any BP accidentally mixed in when you moisturize near your eyes. You have to be really careful around your eye area not only not to get any BP near them, but not to rub moisturizer that has touched any BP into your delicate eye skin. I would change moisturizers ASAP or pause the Regimen until you can get a better one, since the eye burning could get worse as the rest of your skin starts drying out more.

Thanks for the information. Yeah she used to order from Amway a loong time ago as this bottle looks kind of old. So can I still continue the regime with simply cleansing + BP - moisturizing? Instead of the moisturizing step (since I have no moisturizer), can I simply put on a sunblock called Neotrgena UltraSheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45?

Thanks for the information. Yeah she used to order from Amway a loong time ago as this bottle looks kind of old. So can I still continue the regime with simply cleansing + BP - moisturizing? Instead of the moisturizing step (since I have no moisturizer), can I simply put on a sunblock called Neotrgena UltraSheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45?

Moisturizing is really important, ESPECIALLY when you're first starting the regimen. You might go the first few days without it, but then right when you're thinking, "Oh, this is working fine," BAM! Your face is red, peeling, and burns a little bit. I wouldn't do the regimen without a proper moisturizer. You should wash your face twice a day, but don't apply any BP until you can get your hands on an actual moisturizer. The Neutrogena sunblock is good to have around because BP can make your skin very susceptible to sun damage, but it won't moisturize your skin on its own. Wait until you get your real moisturizer so that you can start the regimen off on the right foot, rather than having to deal with more irritation (or breakouts from the Amway moisturizer).

Moisturizing is really important, ESPECIALLY when you're first starting the regimen. You might go the first few days without it, but then right when you're thinking, "Oh, this is working fine," BAM! Your face is red, peeling, and burns a little bit. I wouldn't do the regimen without a proper moisturizer. You should wash your face twice a day, but don't apply any BP until you can get your hands on an actual moisturizer. The Neutrogena sunblock is good to have around because BP can make your skin very susceptible to sun damage, but it won't moisturize your skin on its own. Wait until you get your real moisturizer so that you can start the regimen off on the right foot, rather than having to deal with more irritation (or breakouts from the Amway moisturizer).

Ahhh Thanks for the advice. However, I read your page on CSR for beginners and you don't recommend using BHA? I ordered Dr. Denese's BHA Cleanser for oily skin specifically for this regimen. I've heard nothing but rave reviews over this product. I also ordered the Exfo Pads (10% glycolic acid) to replace the stubborn beads my St. Ive's Apricot Scrub had and also the Ultra Hydrating Moisturizer of hers (as my moisturizer). I don't see how any of these products will hinder any progress. Should I cancel some of these items or simply cancel my entire order and replace it with over-the-counters?

http://www.drdenese.co.uk/acatalog/Intelli...ake_up.html#a41

http://www.drdenese.co.uk/acatalog/Cleansi...Toning.html#a52

http://www.drdenese.co.uk/acatalog/Face.html#a15

(Cleanser Only): http://www.drdenese.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001...ehtml%23a50#a50

Ahhh Thanks for the advice. However, I read your page on CSR for beginners and you don't recommend using BHA? I ordered Dr. Denese's BHA Cleanser for oily skin specifically for this regimen. I've heard nothing but rave reviews over this product. I also ordered the Exfo Pads (10% glycolic acid) to replace the stubborn beads my St. Ive's Apricot Scrub had and also the Ultra Hydrating Moisturizer of hers (as my moisturizer). I don't see how any of these products will hinder any progress. Should I cancel some of these items or simply cancel my entire order and replace it with over-the-counters?

http://www.drdenese.co.uk/acatalog/Intelli...ake_up.html#a41

http://www.drdenese.co.uk/acatalog/Cleansi...Toning.html#a52

http://www.drdenese.co.uk/acatalog/Face.html#a15

(Cleanser Only): http://www.drdenese.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001...ehtml%23a50#a50

Actually, you really should not be using a BHA (aka salicyclic acid) product with the regimen. I wrote on my thread: "BP does not really play nicely with other acne treatments like salicyclic acid (beta hydroxy acid), so don’t touch those at all. When you see an acne face wash at a store, just skip right over it and purchase something unmedicated—even though you think you might get clear faster by using multiple treatments, you’ll just end up with lots more irritation and perhaps even more acne than if you had just stuck with BP." I'm not gonna lie, I started out using a salicyclic acid face wash that I had leftover, and my face was much drier than it should have been. (Also, the face wash didn't help clear up my acne at all...the BP did all the work.) Also, because face washes are only on your skin for a minute or so, they are pretty ineffective at delivering their active ingredients to your skin and often leave behind residue. An unmedicated gentle face wash should be what you look for--no BHA, no BP, no antibacterials. Alpha hydroxy acid products are a different matter and are fine to use with the regimen, but you don't want to introduce them until you've been using the full amount of BP for a little while.

Based on the links you sent me, here are my thoughts on those products:

It's good that you're looking into a broad-spectrum sunscreen, but that little pot is both ridiculously expensive and probably comedogenic. (Rule of thumb: creamy products that come in a jar usually will clog your pores.) I think that your Neutrogena sunscreen should do just fine! The glycolic acid facial pads look rather nice, but don't start using them with the regimen until you've gotten used to the full amount of BP. You would swipe those on your face after cleansing once a day and give your face a good 10-15 mintues to dry before applying BP. I can't tell what's in that moisturizing serum, but it's probably comedogenic--you don't see phrases like "intensely hydrating" used with non-comedogenic products. It's also disgustingly expensive! You can save yourself a lot of money by canceling that order, that's for sure, and you'll certainly be able to find products that are much cheaper but work better with the regimen at your local drugstore or off the internet. I've done very well with my $4 cleanser, BP, and moisturizers that cost $5 and $9 dollars!

I appreciate you taking the time to write that reply. Thanks alot I'll be looking into the products mentioned on the Ratings page for my regime.