Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As many of you have read previously, I am the accutane champion :) Here's a recap of my history:

My mom has had severe cystic acne and oily skin, even post-menopause. I obviously inherited her (short end) of the gene pool :evil:

My first experience with accutane was my senior year of high school; had to beg my derm at the time to put me on it (he was super super paranoid) even with quarter-sized cysts on my face. I made it two months before he decided my liver tests increased too much (I think he was full of shit).

My cysts came back with a passion freshman year of college, but didn't get it taken care of for another few years. Round two came in Fall/Winter of 2003, right before I went on study abroad.

Skin was clear until I came back (and back to all my problems and stress). My skin got reeeally bad after spending all that time in the sun, so I went on round three Summer of 2004.

Round four came again the fall of 2005 until March 2005, after an extremely stressful summer plus 70 hours of working killed me.

After trying all the other alternatives (spiro, which made my skin worse, b5 which worked temporarily, ACV, etc) I have decided to try accutane AGAIN. GOD DAMMIT I AM HOPING THIS WORKS NOW.

I've been getting really awful hormonally related cystic acne concentrated on my left cheek and my lower chin. It's resulted in really bad pocking and red marks, of which I can't even cover up anymore.

I am almost positive stress has exacerbated this increase in severity of my acne (graduating, moving cross-country, graduate school). I moved out of the Michigan humidity into the desert which has helped my oil, and in turn, my comedonal acne, but only minorly.

We'll see if this FINALLY does it!

I started 40 mg/day on Friday...so far, no dryness, although I think I may be getting a slight slight IB. These closed comedones I had on my chin are starting to purge, so we'll see.

I may possibly post a picture of my skin (if I can get my digi to work) to prove that I do have acne...you guys don't believe me in any of my pictures :razz:

GOD DAMMIT I AM HOPING THIS WORKS NOW.

LOL i'm sorry for laughing at this. But I feel you on that. I hope it works for you as well. I envy you, you've been able to do all these things, even with acne. I won't even leave my room. You're very strong.

And one day, you're going to be a very successful woman.

wassup good luck on the 4th course...geez your like a tane junkie !! :D

just looked at your pics....thought u said u had cystic acne :confused: i don't see nuthin....scope out my log if ya wanna see the real deal haha.

peace

Kanmi: Thanks for the kind words :) Being crazy busy has helped to drag me out of my room and my comfort zone even when my face exploded!

Stabby: All my pics I have posted I were when I was on previous rounds of accutane, so of course my skin looks clear :) That coupled with the fact the pictures are far away with a flash my skin looks flawless!

Redsox: I am hoping this will be the last round :)

Stabby: All my pics I have posted I were when I was on previous rounds of accutane, so of course my skin looks clear :) That coupled with the fact the pictures are far away with a flash my skin looks flawless!

LOL, I ONLY take pics when my skin looks decent (after 6 months or so of doxy) OR if I can f around with the lighting and my makeup was just applied. The pic you see of me I have serveral large, painful cysts and tons of scars (purple and divets). I decided I am way to vain to post acne pics. Oh well, personality flaw, I guess....lol.

Good luck this time around.

May your day be cyst free,

Platinum

I think my skin is starting to dry out, which excites me! It's defintely more sensitive, as the curves around my nose are red/slightly irritated.

:D

Hey, just wondering, what did you say to your derm to convince him/her to put you on again? I went on a 5 month course a year and a half ago and it cleared well, but it came back, although not as bad as it was before (it's basically moderate now). I tried to get back on it last year but my derm wouldn't give it to me and I'm going in again next week to try to plead my case.

Kirstin: Isn' the dry skin the best? It makes me feel actually...normal :)

Mikeryanrebecca: I have had a bunch of different derms, so only one of my derm has prescribed me two rounds. I moved around a lot during my college years, so that's why I have had a bunch of different ones :)

As for the one who prescribed it for me twice...I basically cried and pitched a fit because all the shit they were giving me (anti-bios, topicals) I had already used several times and KNEW they wouldn't touch my cystic acne (which had started to resurface). I just told them that it was a waste of time and money and that beyond the cosmetic, cystic acne hurts really bad! :(

She was the super-paranoid one and made me get a bone-density test to make sure that accutane hadn't affected my bones before prescribing it for me again.

Good luck in your quest and keep me posted!

So what the hell?

Just when I thought my skin was drying out, it felt like I had oil oozing out of my face today, along with breakouts in random places. I don't remember my oil getting worse like this before...anyone?

Hi Mskitty,

I definitely felt that my face was SUPER oily the first 2 weeks of tane. I have always had an oily face but this was the worst!!! It was just dripping off my face! Gross, I know. But after about 2 weeks the oil decreased significantly and I have been oil free since then! I hope this helps.

I can't believe this is your 5th round of Accutane...GOOD LUCK! :D

Kristen

So, I was a bad girl and drank a lot of martinis last night. I am CHUGGING water right now.

No real change in the skin other than black heads are coming out of my nose, eww.

GRRRR. It's been like, two weeks I think...my skin is oilier than all hell, yet strangely dry at the same time. Tons of random clogs coming out of my skin, which are fun to pick (I am bad, I know!!!!). Dammit, I wish my skin would dry out!!!!!!!!!!

Day 12:

Grrr. Okay, my skin is seriously fucked up. It's super oily (along with my scalp) although some parts are flaking and fried off (around my mouth, where I have crap coming to a head). BLAH! I don't remember having to deal with this in the past!!!!

The skin around my nose is itchy and slightly peeling as well.

How long before you guys dried up?

Next time I see my derm I am going to ask her to up my dosage, bah.

it will get better soon, but i don't have to tell you that. i didn't get more oily before i dried out but it seems to be pretty common and only lasts a short while.

good luck on your 5th and hopefully final course.

5th time, that's a lot. I do hope that this round will give you the skin you like! IPB Image

You are a pretty girl, your skin looks very good in the pics but you say it's after the tane.

You start with 40 mg, did you before start with 40 mg also?

After 4 rounds of tane (was it 6 months each time?) what's the best and worst thing that you experienced?

The skin around my nose has the same, it's flaking and peeling.

Cya IPB Image

5th time, that's a lot. I do hope that this round will give you the skin you like! IPB Image

You are a pretty girl, your skin looks very good in the pics but you say it's after the tane.

You start with 40 mg, did you before start with 40 mg also?

After 4 rounds of tane (was it 6 months each time?) what's the best and worst thing that you experienced?

The skin around my nose has the same, it's flaking and peeling.

Cya IPB Image

Aw, thanks :) All those pictures were taken while I was on tane, or right after my course. All of them I started on 40 mg, the last course I was on I was alternating 40 one day and 80 the next, for an average dose of about 60.

The best thing I have experienced is a definite decreased in severity and frequency of my acne; on the other hand, my remaining acne is pretty damn stubborn. That's the reason why I went on this course...my acne is still cystic, but won't respond to anything else (anti0bios, topicals, etc).

:)

Hi Ms Kitty! Just saying hi and wishing you luck on course #5. :dance:

Kel

Thanks bunches! Did you end up getting any peels/dermabrasion???

Guess I should put an update here also...skin still oily as hell, huge cyst on left cheek that came out of NOWHERE (literally, in about an hour). This sucks!

!^%&!^~%#&^%!!!

I have some small cysts by the corners of my mouth that are coming to the surface! They'll scab over, the scabs will come off, and they'll still be there!

My skin is still oily as hell and getting worse. Gah.

I am going to start taking my accutane with a flaxseed oil cap. We'll see if that helps!

huge cyst on left cheek that came out of NOWHERE (literally, in about an hour). This sucks!

Totally remember that. I hated that. I hope things get better.

Hi Mskitty

Have you considered going on a long term low dose course of Accutane?

I am in a similar situation to you in that I have been on Tane several times and it works while I am on it but within a month of stopping the acne returns. I am now on the low dose course of 10mg per day and have been on this dose for 4 months now with great results and I am going to continue on it indefinately.

Happy