Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeoffsNightOut

Has anyones GP prescribed them accutane before?

Has anyones family doctor/general practitioner or whatever their title is prescribed them accutane before?

if so, did they know what they were doing as far as dosage was concerned?

If i weigh about 75kg what would be a proper accutane course for me?

Yes, our family doc gave my son his accutane. She read up on the recommended dosage in her medical book and informed us about the side effects and steps to follow. She also gave us a requisition for a blood test a few days before the prescription ended (30 days). You doc should be able to give you all this info. And ask questions so you'll feel comfortable taking accutane. Good luck and take care!

okay, great thanks for the help. i have an appointment on wednesday with my gp so im going to ask him if he thinks its appropriate for me. its the same guy that put me on mino 2 years ago and metrogel and stievamycin, and hopefully he will prescribe me accutane since my skin has not improved at all.

Yes, GP's can write for the drug. Usually depends on their comfort level. Hopefully he's confident in the drug and has had some experience. Be sure to ask him what kind of expierence he has had writing this drug...

My GP prescribed Accutane to me. The possibility of a GP prescribing it here in Canada seems more common than in other countries, eh. Good luck and take care!

the initial dose is 1mg/kg/day - you can go as high as 2mg/kg/day

1mg/day is a pretty typical dose later in the course, but most dermatologists prefer to start people initially around 0.5mg/day to reduce the IB and ease into side effects.

yuppers, my GP did after several derms would not (even though it was obvious I should be on it).

the only reason she did it was able to was her daughter was on it and believed it was a good and safe drug.

she put me on a lower dose to start and I asked for a higher one after a month.

awesome, well i have an appointment on the 16th of october, im going to ask him for a prescription of it. he's been my familys doctor for years so hopefully he will understand that i am in need of it, even though my acne isnt considered "severe".

i would rather use something like the CSR but im allergic to BP, i put about a pea size amount on my chin one time and it was red/dry for 3 days.

Should i tell him ive been researching it alot and suggest a dosage that i think is right for my weight?

Im about 75kg so i was thinking about 40mg/day for my first month then bump it up to 80mg/day for the next 3-4 months?

Second time I saw this doctor ever, I walked in the office said look at my face and he perscribed me on the spot, 60 mg/day for 2 weeks then up to 120mg/day, with a blood test thing before the 1st month was up, same as what someone else had said (I'm in Canada as well). Problem with my doc though, is he didn't warn me about everything. I found out a lot of information on the internet after I took my first pill, and still learned things as I went along because he didn't tell me. He covered the important things like the possibilities of depression, birth defects, etc, but I had no idea about the IB (which was horrific on such a large dosage to start out with, but cleared up very quickly considering its severity IMO, and I'm glad I did it that way), or even the fact that I shouldn't be using my usual products to help my acne (oxy, etc). I had no idea what to use on my face after I started for cleansing and moisturizing or anything. The fact that you're on this website before you get your perscription is a good step, because you're informed BEFORE you take it, whereas I didn't find it until after. If you're comfortable with what you read here, be comfortable with receiving your perscription from your GP. I have no regrets, good luck to you!