Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spot

Chicken Pox Scars, How To Treat?

hey people, i know this is a forum for acne but I have a chicken pox scar which i despretly want to get rid of and i thought you people maybe able to help me with. I got it when i was about 12 and it is like a pit and perfect circular. (like a crater!!)

is there any treatments out there that does not involve surgery and work quite well? any help, please!!

Maybe excision or CROSS TCA treatment. Check out the threads on both topics.

Best of Luck!

Anna

Spot,

I had excision done on a chicken pox scar and it worked pretty well. Read my post in the thread "Excision for Ice Pick scars - I'm so happy" by Maria.

anna, the scar is on my forehead, i dunno whether its deep or not but it seem deep to me, certainly noticeable. what is excision, does it involve going to a doctor? i was thinking something i could do myself, partly i dont want to and partly i dunno where to get the right people and when you ask the doctor about it they make you feel so awkrwad because its a cosmetic thing....

Spot,

Excision would for sure require going to a doctor ~ they would cut out the circular scar and it would/should leave a linear scar even with the rest of your skin. TCA would also best be done be a doctor as they apply acid to the scar to rewound it in hope that it will heal better. Then of course there is always subcision where the go underneath the scar and cut the binding fibers which may be holding the scar in it's depressed condition. You have all sorts of options. Check out the FAQ thread to look at all the options you have. I am sorry to say that with the exception of needling or topicals you may have to see a doctor.

My best!

Anna

I have a chicken pox mark on each temple - one was quite noticeable. It was about the diameter of a pencil eraser and kind of deep. I had them needled by a permanent makeup artist using a SofTap hand tool almost 2 weeks ago when I was getting needling done for my acne scarring, and they have filled in a lot so far, showing more improvement than the other scarring I had needled. I had a needling done back in early July with a tattoo gun, but we didn't have time to get to these two chicken pox marks. I've also had Smoothbeam laser in which these scars were hit, but only one session and you're not supposed to see improvement after just one session. So this improvement seems to be after just one needling session. The one that used to be sort of deep is still indented some, but is looking more filled in every day and is a lot harder to see in the mirror.

These two scars didn't bother me hardly at all - it's my other acne scarring that bothers me. But I wanted to test these out to see how they responded because my 16 yr old had a terrible case of chicken pox when he was about 5 or 6 and is left with about ten or more chicken pox marks on his face - and that was without scratching them. I've talked to him about getting it done during the holidays when he wouldn't have to go to school with a scabby face. After seeing my improvement, he agreed.

There is a long needling thread on this board that tells all about needling. I don't know where it is right now. If it's something you're interested in, find a permanent makeup artist or a tattoo artist that knows what you're talking about when you ask about scar repair. It's usually pretty cheap, too. One cost me $150 and the other $75 per hour. You could do more damage if you self needled, so I don't recommend that.

Any other needlers out there have chicken pox results?

I am sooo glad this post was started. I have just been ravaged by chicken pox 2 months ago (I'm 25). I am left with heaps of craters which are still red. I am applying warm water with heavy concentrations of salt in morning and night. I am soo hoping that the salt water will help heal them, but given they are depressions I doubt it will work. It's just because I heard that the doctor in the USA who does saline injections has best results on shallow, saucer like scars - I'm hoping that my salt solution will sink into the skin and act like a saline injection. Wishful thinking I know, but I'm desperate, cos my face was doing OK before - now all hell has broken loose.

AA

yeah i know what you mean, let me know if it helps. I dont mean to be negative but i dont think it'll raise it. From the posts here so far, the best solution seemed to surgery, but i didnt really want to go that far. i am still searchin. people keep posting!

Spot, do you live in the USA? If so, I would soooooo encourage you to go and get saline injections from that doc (in Florida I think). In my opinion that is the mildest of all treatments yet it seems to have a very substantial effect. I am stuck in Australia so I am just so far away from that doc in the USA.

AA

no, i am in england. even if i AM in USA i think it'll still be very hard to get hold of him. (probably be very costly too) . how are yout salt solution gettin along? at the moment i am trying glycolic acid.

I am going to stick to my salt solution. If my forehead has been warmed up with warm water beforehand, then my pores are open and my saline solution can sink into it. I agree that it wouldn't work for a fully developed scar, but most of my depressed scars are still red so I still think there's chance that the salt can sink in and heal it up a bit.

But Spot, you are soooooooo lucky to only have one chicken pox scars. I have tonnes of them on my face, and will most likely be stuck with them for the rest of my natural life.

AA

well i suppose, but because I have only one, people are less sympathetic. but i would recommend maybe you should want to see a doctor about it because its just arisen. by the way, i have more than one but all the other ones are small and I kinda like them (in a strange way), its just this BIG one whihc is pissing me off. how many have you got?

i am surprise we haven't got more replies, i would of thought lots of people would have this problem since pretty much everyone has chicken pox.

i had it since i was like 7, n it never bothered me. when i got older i wanted to get rid of it, but now i dont cuz its kind of like my signature or somethin ya know? i got mines placed just like Q-Tip's.

So can anyone please help me!!! I have chicken pox craters which are fresh (2 months) and still red, so I believe there is a chance of me doing something to help them heal. I am currently using salt water on them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Rosehip oil maybe?

Thanks!!

AA

AA - if your scars are still fresh - then you should be looking at something that can aid collagen growth - if you look at the skin needling thread, Denise often posts about how to raise scars using topicals - not tolerated by some, but retin-a and super copper peptides may help you.