Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jen121

Type of Acne & Diet

I have been wondering if someone with cystic inflammatory acne was super strict about their diet and avoided all inflammatory foods, would their acne change to mild whiteheads (small bumps)?

I know that many other things contribute like stress & hormones but lets say that person controlled those well too. Overall, I was curious to know if someone could change the "type" of acne through diet??

What do you all think?

Interesting question Jen!

I've noticed that the foods which give me acne, give me different kinds of acne.

Beef gives me cysts and whole wheat gives me tiny bumpy skin. All my acne is itchy and I think is ultimately a histamine reaction.

So in my case no, one type doesn't change to another type of acne. I can have one type or many types all coexisting at once. Beautiful, not!

Not sure about cystic acne or anything that severe, but I do believe you can significantly reduce the severity of lesions with diet.

I used to get big inflamed pustules but since I changed my diet the worst I get is a whitehead here and there. I haven't had an inflamed lesion in months unless I eat a bad trigger food like fish or dairy. Incidentally, I tested dairy and fish again last month and developed some big, painful breakouts.

Also, I wanted to say that it's not just about avoiding inflammatory foods but also balancing the diet with anti-inflammatory foods like fruits and vegetables. You can't avoid all inflammatory foods (well, maybe you can but who wants to live like that?) but you can keep everything in balance by eating the right foods (which I believe is the basis of anti-inflammatory diets).

Jen -

If I break out now it's not whiteheads, no more cysts. And I used to have bad cysts, ones that took weeks to heal. I think the exact things in my signature are all the reason for this, in varying intensity of how much they played a role. I'm probably gonna make a post about this pretty soon about my history, what I did, why it helped, etc. I'm just waiting a bit longer, I have the best skin right now that I've had since I got bad acne about a year ago and I don't want to jinx myself yet :)

Hey R.S:

I have eaten unhealthy pretty much my entire life up until I woke up about 5 months ago. My friend says that in order for me to be truly healthy, I have to flush all the toxins out and eating healthy isnt going to do that. Do you think all the gunk from before is still in my body as toxins and that it would be a good idea to do a cleanse? If so, what would be a good one? Thanks in advance :)

I know milk gives me cysts so yeah. If you don't eat I don't think you would get any cysts. Do antihistamines work for you if it is a histamine reaction?

Well, before I discovered the food connection and weight connection to my acne, I was in 'experimental mode'. I did try putting 'Benedryl cream' on my face for a time and it did make a noticeable difference. However, it didn't get to the bottome of the problem so I could only reduce my acne using benedryl about 60%. Still, that was a good improvement, but I wasn't satisfied. I wouldn't stop until my skin was normal and clear.

Hey R.S:

I have eaten unhealthy pretty much my entire life up until I woke up about 5 months ago. My friend says that in order for me to be truly healthy, I have to flush all the toxins out and eating healthy isnt going to do that. Do you think all the gunk from before is still in my body as toxins and that it would be a good idea to do a cleanse? If so, what would be a good one? Thanks in advance :)

Yes, from my own experience I think it's pretty important to do cleanses and flushes and things like that to get all the toxins out. Colon cleansing is the simplest, you just take psyllium and bentonite shakes daily between meals for a month or two, starting with one and working up to 2 or 3. If you do the much discussed liver flush, make sure you're regular to the toilet. There's lots of threads including some of posted about it so just search...