Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anna

Scars/ Acne/ Children?

Has the fact that you have acne / scarring impacted whether or not you are going to have children? I know for me I have pretty much decided that I could not bear to have children go through what I went through and therefore won't have children.

That's really sad anna - you are such an amazing person, I'm sure you would have fantastic kids. Also, you would be armed with all sorts of information to help them if they did have acne... and science is so much better now, at least, in the main, we know how to 'cure' or limit acne.

I only developed acne after I had my kids - they're hard work, but totally rewarding (even though I want to strangle them sometimes!), and I don't think if I had acne before them it would've stopped me having them.

If my kids get acne, I would feel quite empowered to deal with it and also help them with the psychological, dietary, supplementation issues etc.. , so it doesn't worry me at all. I'm more concerned about them falling in with the wrong crowd, getting into hard drugs, etc...

Hi Anna, I can understand your feelings about this. I think when and if I have kids I will get them to start using Benzoyl Peroxide every night by around the age of 11 or 12. I am convinced that if this medication is started at the beginning of puberty, BEFORE the skin begins to break out, it will completely save kids from having to suffer with acne. I myself started it WAY TOO LATE.

I didn't ask myself that before I had children (mainly because the first was completely unexpected, lol), but I am keeping a very close eye on their skin condition and do apply the BP everytime my oldest starts to get a few bumps and this makes it go away very quickly.

Since I have been in the "bad skin" boat for years, it definitely makes it easier for me to take them to the derm every time I see any skin condition that is questionable because I DON'T want them to suffer as I did. Money, when it comes to taking care of them, is not an object, although for years I wouldn't treat my own skin condition because I didn't feel I deserved to spend so much money on myself.

So, don't deprive yourself of children just because you THINK you might pass bad skin onto them...children can be your greatest achievements in life and a wonderful comfort when you grow old.

~nancy

Has the fact that you have acne / scarring impacted whether or not you are going to have children?  I know for me I have pretty much decided that I could not bear to have children go through what I went through and therefore won't have children.

I'm happily child-free and will remain so (hopefully). Not because of acne,though.

I've healed my acne/ polycystic ovaries/ insulin resistance through herbs /cleanses/diet and exercise/belief in God and lots of positive thinking and meditation.

So don't let a fear of passing on a health problem be the only reason for you not having children. Although I completely understand the misery of acne .

If you've really thought about it Anna and prefer not to have children and you're happy with your decision then there's nothing more to be said.

No, it wont stop me. I had it fairly bad but acne just isn't catastrophic enough of a genetic problem to rule out children.

Also I'm only in my early 20s and I believe within a decade or two the mostly ineffective allopathic model of medicine will be gone. I don't think I'll see genetic manipulation within my lifetime though. For better or worse anything that overtly smacks of human eugenics is too great a leap in thinking for the public.

Maya wrote:

That's really sad anna - you are such an amazing person, I'm sure you would have fantastic kids. Also, you would be armed with all sorts of information to help them if they did have acne... and science is so much better now, at least, in the main, we know how to 'cure' or limit acne.  

Has the fact that you have acne / scarring impacted whether or not you are going to have children? I know for me I have pretty much decided that I could not bear to have children go through what I went through and therefore won't have children.

I love children and I think that were it not for skin problems my life would have been so much better.  I would be so devastated if I had a child going through the same unhappiness I went through, I choose not to risk it.

Plus, I am breaking out again even after years of having thought I had my skin managed.  I don't know what is different but it is bugging me.  I had my hormone levels checked last week so maybe that will shed some light.  I really did feel empowered when I had my skin in control after changing some things and seeing a dramatic improvement.  

Maybe adoption might be a way to go.  

I was actually talking about exactly this topic with my bf the other day -- about how with how horrible my skin was (and is) I don't think I actually want to have kids. In my family, acne certainly does seem to be genetic -- my mother & her sisters, my brother & I... I mean, it's not like humans are in danger of dying out (quite the opposite, really), and I (at this point) don't feel like my life would be wasted without having raised kids.

If my attitude towards wanting children changes, I think I would definitely be looking at adoption before I would consider having my own children.

-kristin

Anna....there is no reason for you to think that your children will have acne. My brother had beautiful, clear skin, though he does get blackheads in his nose.

My son is 10 and is already getting a few blackheads and tiny bumps. *BUT*....I feel so much more empowered at helping him control it than I was. I feel that I can control it very easily, and that he won't be miserable in his teen years. I know so much about diet, topicals, and herbs that I feel absolutely confident that acne won't be much of a problem at all, even if he does break out. I believe that it can be controlled very easily, if caught early.

I would be so devastated if I had a child going through the same unhappiness I went through, I choose not to risk it.

Guest Tracy
There are so many reasons why a child could be unhappy - not just with acne/scarring ... but the best thing a child could have under any circumstance, is unconditional love and understanding of a supportive adult. And supportive and loving you are.... I read your posts and they are always trying to help others and offering good information. 

Sometimes we have to take risks Anna - to stop life from escaping us.

Maya,

You are a sweetheart!!!

My love doesn't go to waste. I lavish it on my husband, friends, and family. Starting to wonder about the exclusion of children though. My husband is almost 50 though ~ maybe once he retires biggrin.gif.

Hugs,

Anna

i dont think that you should not have children just for the acne factor, it doesnt happen always, its a possiblity, but even as such, there are treatments and there will be a cure sometime in the near future, im really sure of it, but dont prevent yourself from having children just for that, and besides, you will take care of him/her IF he/her starts breaking out or whatever...

My love doesn't go to waste.  I lavish it on my husband, friends, and family.  Starting to wonder about the exclusion of children though.  My husband is almost 50 though ~ maybe once he retires biggrin.gif.

Personally, I think that having my son is the best thing that ever happened to me. He is my sunshine and my joy. I love that child more than anything else in this world. I don't think I knew what love was until I had him. The love that a mother has for her child is so intense....it's very different than romantic love, which is wonderful also.

But I must tell you Anna, my experience has been so wonderful, miraculous, and life-changing, that I don't think that I cannot imagine life without my son. He's a wonderful boy....smart, affectionate, sensitive, and well-behaved and well-mannered.

I love being a mother and believe that it has centered me and taught me about God's love. I wouldn't let concerns about acne stop me if I REALLY wanted a child. There's a strong chance acne won't be a problem. But let's face it.....all of us know so much more than we did starting out with acne. I feel that I can help my son totally control his acne, unlike me....who was forced onto antibiotics that nearly destroyed my health, over time. I didn't have the benefit of alpha hydroxy acids, peels, understanding of diet, etc......there is so much more information out there now!

biggrin.gif

Gosh you guys! I am just blushing........... biggrin.gif/

Maybe, I'll just get into something kinky before my husband comes home. HMMMM........Where is the emoticon with horns? Oops. Was that crude? Sorry.

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's kind words and support. Whatever ultimately happens you have given me so much to think about and I want you to know I value everything you shared. Those of you with kids probably are the envy of every other child who knows you.

Blessings!

Anna

Even i feel the same. I dont wan tto have children becaus ei dont want them to go through tis sick thing. and i believe acne is deadlier than aids or cancer. It kills you minute by minute. And i know that your children might get lucky and not get it but there is always a high possibility that if you have acne your children will have it too. And I DONT WANT TO SPREAD THIS DISEASE. I will probably adopt someone.

dim - I understand how you feel. Just want you to know I think you are really a lovely person.

Often it will take longer for the emotional scars to heal even if people get their scars fixed. I wish derms and surgeons understood that.