Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
d3ciph

No more milk -- what do I drink to get calcium?

I'm going to try the no dairy diet for a month and see how it goes. What would you guys recommend to replace the nutrients that milk has? OJ with calcium? Soy milk?

Instant oatmeal, wingged beans, canned sardines (ones with those soft edible bones), canned salmon, dried figs, seaweed like kelp (if you like the stuff), tofu, etc...

If you want some good calcium supplements, look at this great site:

http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/?v=08sources

Here are foods very high in these nutrients:

Protein: almonds, black beans, brown rice, cashews, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, peanut butter, pinto beans, seitan, soybeans, soymilk, sunflower seeds, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu, vegetarian hot dogs and burgers

Iron: black beans, bran flakes, cashews, Cream of Wheat?, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), GrapeNuts?, kidney beans, lentils, navy beans, oatmeal, pumpkin seeds, raisins, soybeans, soymilk, spinach, sunflower seeds, tofu, tomato juice, whole wheat bread

Calcium: almonds, black beans, broccoli, calcium-fortified orange juice, collard greens, great northern beans, kale, kidney beans, mustard greens, navy beans, orange juice, pinto beans, sesame seeds, soybeans, soymilk, textured vegetable protein (TVP), tofu

Just grab a handful of almonds or have a bowl of bean soup or veggie soup. You do not have to gorge on food to get nutrients. -- Remember: It is on the official FDA website that a vegetarian/vegan diet does not deplete nutrients from our bodies.

I have many vegan/vegetarian friends who have run marathons and are atheletes - and they have been vegan/vegetarian for 30+ years.

The diet is not hard... just eat healthy and have fun :)

I started on the meat/dairy free diet 2 months ago... I feel A LOT better and have noticed so many posititive changes my body that I wont go back to the way I'm eating.

Its definitely worth the try!

Yes, take calcium supplements -- if you are not going to be eating dairy, then your body will absorb the calcium.

However, the FDA has made many statements saying that Calcium supplements used by people who consume meat and dairy on a daily basis has no significant benefit because it is drained so fast out of the bones because of the sulfur content of the amino acids in the animal proteins.

So you can take them, d3 :)

Take supplements. Take it with either Vitamin D or magnesium(Most all will contain at least one).

Take the citrate or other bioavailable forms. Coral is no different to manufactured forms of calcium that are the same type. It just costs more and in many situations it contains heavy metals. Just get a pure lab grade calcium and you'll be better off.

That or eat a crap load of broccoli, kale, etc... Basically no food other than dairy can give you as much calcium in a reasonable amount(IE. 500mg in one or a few reasonable sized servings). Like others said though milk isn't even that great a source so you might as well just supplement.

I just bought tons and tons more veggies than I usually do. I'm trying to keep a clean diet with working otu and I noticed that a lot of people don't drink milk at all and are really fit. I went to buy a lot of the veggies you guys suggested and some peanut butter and various nuts. I also bought some GNC multi vitamins with 100mg of calcium, but it seems like basically nothing.

All these tips are so helpful! I've bookmarked this post for future reference :)

Try eating some oranges. Oranges have as much (if not more) calcium than cow's milk

Not really. The pasturizing process kills practically all of the live enzymes, thus reducing the vitamin and mineral content. Probably would be best to drink your juices fresh if possible, and you'll retain all of the vitamins and minerals.