Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marco23

If pimples aren't caused by bacteria on face why does this matter.......

Over and over I read don't overwash or wash for more than a certain amount of seconds, because this will only irritate. "pimples are not caused by surface bacteria, then why is everyone changing there piloow cases every night and removing hair from there face and not wearing gel or mousse and not touching there face etc........... Why would all this matter if its internal and so deep. They say BP helps fight deep bacteria then why and how can I get something that deep in my skin/pores if I'm not rubbing it in like we do with BP. I don't put touch my face with dirty hands and rub it in, so why would acne develop there, makes no sense.

Can anyone clarify, or tell me if you agree with me?

I think bacteria is involved in acne....but acne is complex & much more is probably involved (which must be why some people never get acne & dont even wash their face!). Overwashing is bad cuz it can over strip your skin of oil (you need some oil). Maybe you are confusing dirt & bacteria. Dirt doesnt cause acne, but bacteria is another story.

From acne.org:

"For reasons no one completely understands, follicles, often called pores, sometimes get blocked. Sebum (oil) which normally drains to the surface gets blocked and bacteria begins to grow. Both whiteheads and blackheads start out as a microcomedone."

Go to the "what is acne" page & read it. Bacteria is a part of what causes acne.

Not all acne is inflammatory, so bacteria isn't always a problem. You can tell if a pimple is inflamed because it will be red, irritated, swollen, and maybe even painful. Acne starts as a clogged pore, which can be caused by a misshapen pore, dead skin sloughing off too slowly, pore-clogging ingredients in cosmetics, and irritants (the way irritants can cause acne is complex, too, but I'll leave it at that). A pimple becomes inflamed when bacteria are trapped inside the pore, feeding on the debris inside the pore and multiplying. Benzoyl peroxide kills off the bacteria, but it doesn't do much for just pores that are clogged, which is why many CSR users find that they still have blackheads and non-inflamed whiteheads. Subsequently, not touching the face and changing pillowcases best helps those suffering from inflammatory acne.