Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kitty_Collins

Prevention and Treatment of Teen Acne with James Fulton

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/1/1707_50068.htm

How much of that is insane? And what seems to ring true?

It all seems to ring true to me. What parts did you think were not accurate?

Hehe from reading this it seems to make alot of sense. I'm on Differin (Vitamin A) Benzoyl peroxide and an AHA moisturizer and my skin has been improving alot...this would make sense if it's true.

why does it seem insane? he did say that antibiotics really isn't a good treatment for acne and i agree to some extent. they do work but are usually temporary. other than that everything he said about retin a, accutane , and BP seemed right.

Dr_Fulton Normally it comes across the face like a wave. When you're 12 it's on the nose. When you're 14, it's on the cheek. When you're 18, it's on the jaw line and when you're 22 it's on the neck. There are some pores left over in adult women and they can smolder on for years.

Quite true. I'm 19 and my jawline is starting to breakout :-/

i found diet does affect my acne somewhat, my acne has lessened since i gave up dairy and started taking zinc everyday.

Damn I don't know what worked for me since I had EVERYTHING

all at once. Diet & Blue Light & 2 Artic Peels & Antioxidents & AntiBiotics.

My derm said take LOTS of antibiotics, 8 a day for 2 weeks. Stop for

2 days, Then take 3 a day for 1 week. Then back to 8. I took a probiotic called DR OHIRA something & a special cleaner. Like I said

whats good & what isn't I don't know but something worked

Damn I don't know what worked for me since I had EVERYTHING

all at once. Diet & Blue Light & 2 Artic Peels & Antioxidents & AntiBiotics.

My derm said take LOTS of antibiotics, 8 a day for 2 weeks. Stop for

2 days, Then take 3 a day for 1 week. Then back to 8. I took a probiotic called DR OHIRA something & a special cleaner. Like I said

whats good & what isn't I don't know but something worked

Sounds like your derm was pretty aggressive with treatment. at least it cleared you up.

My parents were the aggressive ones so much so I was embarassed

the way my mother treated one derm and a nutritionst. It all worked

out and I can really tell you that stress dosn't effect acne since 24/7

my parents put me under a ton of stress wathcing everything i ate

and everything.

"Dr_Fulton There's a whole list and stress is the number one aggravating factor. If you're not getting a good night's sleep, acne gets aggravated. "

There haven't been any studies (that I know of) that conclusively say sleep has any effect of acne. It seems that it should, but that hasn't been proven.

"Dr_Fulton Probably nothing. When we were hairy like earlier on, the oil lubricate the hair like it does on the scalp. On the face, there's no hair so there's no reason for the oil glands. They're just left over as we evolved and lost hair. They don't really have any function. They just get in the way and cause impacted pores."

Actually, there is hair. Hair covers every inch of your body (unless you have had some kind of hair removal or a disorder). Look closely. It's there. And oil glands are also there to lubricate and protect skin.

"Dr_Fulton As they're older, when they have hormone changes like pregnancy or birth control pills or stress, it can become a big problem in the 20's and 30's as opposed to the teenage years. "

Birth control pills can often clear a woman's complexion.

"Event_Moderator Isn't accutane a very dangerous drug?

Dr_Fulton There are some side effects but compared to having acne scars for life, most of the side effects are minor."

Yeah, minor. http://www.webmd.com/content/article/18/1685_51057.htm

Things like that. I figure if there's that stuff, that stuck out like a sore thumb to me, there may be other things I didn't realize were off.

"Dr_Fulton There's a whole list and stress is the number one aggravating factor. If you're not getting a good night's sleep, acne gets aggravated. "

There haven't been any studies (that I know of) that conclusively say sleep has any effect of acne. It seems that it should, but that hasn't been proven.

"Dr_Fulton Probably nothing. When we were hairy like earlier on, the oil lubricate the hair like it does on the scalp. On the face, there's no hair so there's no reason for the oil glands. They're just left over as we evolved and lost hair. They don't really have any function. They just get in the way and cause impacted pores."

Actually, there is hair. Hair covers every inch of your body (unless you have had some kind of hair removal or a disorder). Look closely. It's there. And oil glands are also there to lubricate and protect skin.

"Dr_Fulton As they're older, when they have hormone changes like pregnancy or birth control pills or stress, it can become a big problem in the 20's and 30's as opposed to the teenage years. "

Dr_Fulton There are some side effects but compared to having acne scars for life, most of the side effects are minor."

Things like that. I figure if there's that stuff, that stuck out like a sore thumb to me, there may be other things I didn't realize were off.

as for the sleep thing, when i don't get any sleep my skin looks like shit, that statement seems true to me.

birth control can either help acne or make it worse depending on the pill and the person.

he did kind of downplay the side effects of accutane but, i think his point is that accutane is a generally safe drug in which the benefits outweigh the risks. (he did say most of the side effects are minor.)

I'm not sure about the hair follicle thing, i don't know enough about that. but i think the sebaceous gland stops working while you are on accutane and it doesn't have a negative effect on the skin so that might be accurate.

"Dr_Fulton There's a whole list and stress is the number one aggravating factor. If you're not getting a good night's sleep, acne gets aggravated. " There haven't been any studies (that I know of) that conclusively say sleep has any effect of acne. It seems that it should, but that hasn't been proven.

Regarding the question about stress - there have been a couple of studies that have shown links between increased stress and acne flares. I posted one under the acne research section awhile ago. And lack of sleep does increase the bodies stress response.

We do have hair all over the body, true. But, there is obviously much less of it (varies across gender and ethnicity, of course), and it is of a different type than what is seen on other primates faces. Our facial hair doesn't need the level of lubrication that is provided by our oil glands. If we still really needed this oil, then Accutane probably wouldn't be a recommended treatment option, since it shuts off these glands.

Yes, some birth control pills can clear women's acne, but many BCPs make it worse (and in some women even the BCPs prescribed for acne can make them break out). I think he is trying to point out that women's hormones go through a lot of shifts and changes, leading to possible acne flares. Even going on or coming off one of the anti-acne BCPs can cause acne.

I think there is still a debate about the frequency and seriousness of Accutane's side effects - there is quite a bit of disagreement on this in the acne literature and also between acne patients who have used the drug. I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to this one. For many people, serious acne and acne scarring are worse than the side effects from Accutane. Not everyone gets bad side effects - if most/many people had bad side effects, I don't think derms would continue to prescribe it, as it would be a risk they would not want to take with their patients.

Regarding the question about stress - there have been a couple of studies that have shown links between increased stress and acne flares. I posted one under the acne research section awhile ago. And lack of sleep does increase the bodies stress response.

We do have hair all over the body, true. But, there is obviously much less of it (varies across gender and ethnicity, of course), and it is of a different type than what is seen on other primates faces. Our facial hair doesn't need the level of lubrication that is provided by our oil glands. If we still really needed this oil, then Accutane probably wouldn't be a recommended treatment option, since it shuts off these glands.

Yes, some birth control pills can clear women's acne, but many BCPs make it worse (and in some women even the BCPs prescribed for acne can make them break out). I think he is trying to point out that women's hormones go through a lot of shifts and changes, leading to possible acne flares. Even going on or coming off one of the anti-acne BCPs can cause acne.

I think there is still a debate about the frequency and seriousness of Accutane's side effects - there is quite a bit of disagreement on this in the acne literature and also between acne patients who have used the drug. I don't know that there is a right or wrong answer to this one. For many people, serious acne and acne scarring are worse than the side effects from Accutane. Not everyone gets bad side effects - if most/many people had bad side effects, I don't think derms would continue to prescribe it, as it would be a risk they would not want to take with their patients.

Can you point me in the direction of the study on the stress/acne link? I'd like to read it. Do you know if there are any studies specifically about a sleep/acne connection?

Accutane is a fairly new drug. Yes, there is lots of extensive research must be done before a drug can be FDA approved. But that still doesn't mean it's safe. As a woman still in her child-breaking years, I don't think the potential risks are worth it. Besides, there are a number of dangerous drugs on the market. Some are more dangerous than certain illegal drugs. Accutane is recommend for SEVERE acne. Yet, it's been doled out like candy to any kid with a blemish or two (at least in L.A.). That seems irresponsible to me. In Denmark, the government will pay for breast implants if you can prove it's strongly effected your psychological well-being.

Accutane is a fairly new drug. Yes, there is lots of extensive research must be done before a drug can be FDA approved. But that still doesn't mean it's safe. As a woman still in her child-breaking years, I don't think the potential risks are worth it. Besides, there are a number of dangerous drugs on the market. Some are more dangerous than certain illegal drugs. Accutane is recommend for SEVERE acne. Yet, it's been doled out like candy to any kid with a blemish or two (at least in L.A.). That seems irresponsible to me. In Denmark, the government will pay for breast implants if you can prove it's strongly effected your psychological well-being.

accutane isn't a new drug. it's been around since before i was born. it is safe as long as the patients are closely monitored and don't get pregnant. the vast majority of people using accutane have no problems but, like all drugs (including antibiotics), there are side effects. personally the side effects i got from doxycycline were much more severe than the side effects from accutane (basically just dry lips.)

accutane isn't a new drug. it's been around since before i was born. it is safe as long as the patients are closely monitored and don't get pregnant. the vast majority of people using accutane have no problems but, like all drugs (including antibiotics), there are side effects. personally the side effects i got from doxycycline were much more severe than the side effects from accutane (basically just dry lips.)

It was released in 1982. That makes it a fairly new drug.

According to the FDA, "Possible serious side effects of taking Accutane include birth defects and mental disorders."

In addition, Accutane has been linked to other severe side effects, including suicide, depression, inflammatory bowel disease, hepatitis, pancreatitis, and Irritable bowel syndrome.

Of course it isn't going to make everyone who takes it jump off their roof. But for Fulton to suggest that the possible side effects are minor compared to living with acne? That's fucking crazy.

i meant to say the side effects that I got from accutane, not the possible side effects. Dry lips is pretty much the only side effect I have.

how long does a drug have to be around not to be considered a new drug. because 1982 was a long time ago.

Well, I'm glad your side effects have been minimal. But I, personally, wouldn't take a potentially fatal drug unless it was for a potentially fatal illness. (I just read that accutane also ups cholesterol.)

I'm going to say 40 years. Long enough for us to know precisely what a drug can do long term. Let's say, in 1982, Accutane was prescribed to no one under the age of 11. That would mean the original Accutane users are now 35, at the oldest. And let's say they never stopped taking the drug. While that does cover a 24 year span, other effects may not surface for several more years. I'm not saying it should take 40 year trial studies before a drug can be released. Just that until it has been in the mainstream for that long could it be considered new. That's how I see it. "New" is a relative term.

Let's say, in 1982, Accutane was prescribed to no one under the age of 11. That would mean the original Accutane users are now 35, at the oldest.

you mean the original accutane users are 35 at the youngest. people who were in their 40's could have taken accutane in 1982 and they'd be in their 60s (or even 70s) now.

Of course it isn't going to make everyone who takes it jump off their roof. But for Fulton to suggest that the possible side effects are minor compared to living with acne? That's fucking crazy.

a lot of people who take/have taken the drug disagree (are you calling us crazy :eh: ?)

the risk for bad side effects (excluding birth defects) is extremely small and has been blown way out of proportion. studies haven't even been able to link accutane to depression. i think it could cause depression but no one knows for sure if it does. anyway the percentage of people taking accutane who commit suicide is lower than that of the general population.

Let's say, in 1982, Accutane was prescribed to no one under the age of 11. That would mean the original Accutane users are now 35, at the oldest.

you mean the original accutane users are 35 at the youngest. people who were in their 40's could have taken accutane in 1982 and they'd be in their 60s (or even 70s) now.

a lot of people who take/have taken the drug disagree (are you calling us crazy :eh: ?)

the risk for bad side effects (excluding birth defects) is extremely small and has been blown way out of proportion. studies haven't even been able to link accutane to depression. i think it could cause depression but no one knows for sure if it does. anyway the percentage of people taking accutane who commit suicide is lower than that of the general population.

ok, you're right. 35 at the youngest. cut me some slack, i'm not really awake for another several hours. but it's only been 24 years since accutane was introduced. new discoveries are made about it all the time. depression (and yes, the links are questionable) and birth defects are only 2 of the possible side effects. and i called fulton crazy. Accutane can cause rectal bleeding. RECTAL BLEEDING.

Can you point me in the direction of the study on the stress/acne link? I'd like to read it. Do you know if there are any studies specifically about a sleep/acne connection?

This isn't the one I posted, but it does discuss another study that examined the stress-acne link. Let me see if I can find the link to the other study I was talking about.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=57786

Accutane can cause rectal bleeding. RECTAL BLEEDING

Rectal bleeding is pretty common even amongst the general population...

it isn't very pleasant, but i would call it a minor side effect, luckily i haven't gotten it (yet)

This isn't the one I posted, but it does discuss another study that examined the stress-acne link. Let me see if I can find the link to the other study I was talking about.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=57786

Thanks!

Ok, so...

"A key stress hormone linked to anxiety and depression also appears to be an important signaling chemical in the skin's oil (or sebaceous) glands, a new German study has found. ... Chronic stress slows skin cell turnover, worsening problems like dryness and allowing harmful byproducts to accumulate."

Now, saying that stress increases sebum production (I think this is probably true) and slows cell turnover, therefore worsens acne, sounds plausible. But if it increases sebum production, how would it worsen dryness? Have you ever experienced dry oily skin? Mine's always one or the other. Or dry in areas and oily in others. Or are they saying the dryness only effects people who have very little sebum production to begin with so the increase brought on by stress wasn't enough?

it isn't very pleasant, but i would call it a minor side effect, luckily i haven't gotten it (yet)

MINOR! Bleeding from one's ass. I think I would want to avoid ass hemmoraging. There's some type of oil subsitute that can cause rectal leakage. Not sure which is worse. But leaking or bleeding from my ass would have to rank in the top 10 things I never ever want to experience.

MINOR! Bleeding from one's ass. I think I would want to avoid ass hemmoraging. There's some type of oil subsitute that can cause rectal leakage. Not sure which is worse. But leaking or bleeding from my ass would have to rank in the top 10 things I never ever want to experience.

yes minor. i said it was unpleasant but, major to me means life threatening or permanent.

*the oil is called olestra. they make potato chips out of it but they aren't very popular for obvious reasons.