Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iloveyoubaby

accutane math calculation?

I weight 65kg... and want to take 40mg of accutane....how many months do i need to be on it to have a good dosage???

also DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUCCESS RATE WITH GOING ON 40MG FOR 6 MONTHS????? or is that too low of a dose????

please suggest (im new to this thing)

thanks so much

you should be taking at leat 60 mg of tane and you could even go as high as 90 if your body could handle it. Remeber accutane dosages depend on your weight.

Generally you should be taking 1mg/kg, the maximum dose is 2mg/kg

I would start out the first month at 40 but increase it to atleast 60-70 for the next month.

do i have to go up on the dosages if i have VERY MILD ACNE????????

wouldn't 40mg be good for 6 months for VERY MILD ACNE??????????

isn't 60-90mg for severe cases or at least moderate???

remember...the dosage depends on your weight......40mg/day is ok for someone who weighs 40 kg. I weigh 50kg i had mild/moderate but persistant acne and ive already taken accutane once and am taking it again now.

You weigh 65 kg, to achieve long lasting results you should be taking at least 6omg/day.

1mg/kg/day is the initial dose and can be increased 2mg/kg/day

i just started my 4th month of being on 1/2mg/kg. when i asked my derm about the whole weight thing, he said it is good to start out low, then see how it works after 1-2 months, then up it if needed. needless to say we have not had to up my dose yet, and i am 170lbs, i dont know how that converts and im too lazy to look it up, but according to the thing, i should be on 80mg's right now.

you guys are beginners. My last course of accutane ended with me on 120MG. This time im for sure going to be on 140 or 160MG of tane. My acne isnt even that bad... it just needs to be high for it to stop me from breaking out.

no severe side effects either. normal stuff.

You do not necessarily need to take 1mg/day to get good results. Many people see good results at 0.5mg/day or even lower. My last course was 20mg/day for three months, and 40mg/day for the last three months. I didn't even come close to the recommended cumulative dosage, but my moderate/severe nodulocystic acne cleared completely and has stayed that way so far. It was my second course though, although the first was about 15 years ago so i don't know if that actually had an effect.

Agreed with BTDT (as usual). I know physicians (both GPs and Derms) who rarely go above 20-40mg/s day and have great success with the drug - regardless of weight.