Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kitty_Collins

Exfoliation

So in addition to glycolic acid and salicylic acid, I like to use a scrub twice a week. Is that enough or too much or "if it ain't broke..."?

Don't use too much salicytic acid, It will overdry your skin and cause breakouts. Use it like once every other day, or mabey once every two days. I GENTLY scrub every night, but I make sure my face isn't too dry, or too oily. You know your skin better than I do, just try not to overdry it, or not wash it and let it become too oily...Develope your own regimen that works for you :).

So in addition to glycolic acid and salicylic acid, I like to use a scrub twice a week. Is that enough or too much or "if it ain't broke..."?

Don't use too much salicytic acid, It will overdry your skin and cause breakouts. Use it like once every other day, or mabey once every two days. I GENTLY scrub every night, but I make sure my face isn't too dry, or too oily. You know your skin better than I do, just try not to overdry it, or not wash it and let it become too oily...Develope your own regimen that works for you :).

The salicylic acid is in my toner with the glycolic acid. I think it's a fairly low concentration. But you use a scrub every night? How is that working out for you? Do you use any aha?

I use a gentle scrub every day in the shower to get rid of flakes... I guess it should be okay as long as you dont scrub too hard or have really sensitive skin...

You should use chemical exfoliants like salicylic acid and glycolic acid no more than twice daily. When using a chemical exfoliant formulated for daily use, you'll get best results if you use it at least once every other day. Scrubs which contain "micro-beads" or bead-like particles can be used every day, but certain abrasive ones, like Neutrogena's At-Home Microdermabrasion, are best used only around three times a week.

Never use a scrub before using a chemical exfoliant; pick one or the other. Also, in my experience salicylic acid (when used in well-formulated products) is less irritating than glycolic acid and lactic acid because it is a derivative of aspirin and retains some of aspirin's anti-inflammatory properties. The reason why so many users find it to be overly-drying and/or ineffective is because most salicylic acid products are poorly formulated; they usually contain skin irritants, have too high of a pH to be effective, or both. I don't know which product you use but there's a good chance that it contains such skin irritants, but again, I can't tell until I read the ingredients.

If you over-exfoliate, you risk damaging your skin and worsening breakouts.

When using a chemical exfoliant formulated for daily use, you'll get best results if you use it at least once every other day.

If it's formulated to use daily.. I should use it every other day?

When using a chemical exfoliant formulated for daily use, you'll get best results if you use it at least once every other day.

If it's formulated to use daily.. I should use it every other day?

No, I said you'll get best results if you use it at least every other day. You can use it up to twice daily. Then again, I don't know if you should be using it at all. If you post the ingredients list, I can probably tell whether or not it's gentle. I won't be able to tell the pH, but at least you'll know whether or not you're over-irritating your skin.

Purified Water, SD Alcohol 40, Glycolic Acid, Witch Hazel, Sodium PCA, Salicylic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Extract, Peppermint Extract, Allantoin, Sodium Lactate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance

Purified Water, SD Alcohol 40, Glycolic Acid, Witch Hazel, Sodium PCA, Salicylic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Extract, Peppermint Extract, Allantoin, Sodium Lactate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrance

Oh, yeah. Definately stop using it. It contains SD alcohol 40, witch hazel, eucalyptus, and peppermint- all of which are skin irritants (the fragrance is irritating too, but is in a small amount). I recommend getting a good salicylic acid product. You could get a glycolic acid product, but salicylic acid is better for treating acne because unlike glycolic acid and other alpha hydroxy acids, it is lipid soluble and can exfoliate within the pore. The only decently formulated salicylic acid products I know of are these:

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Defense Face Lotion

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Moisturizer

Paula's Choice 1% or 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid products

Serious Skin Care Clarifying Treatment

I especially recommend the Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid, which is the most effectively formulated out of these and also the least expensive per ounce. The only drawback is you have to order it online. You can get it from www.getthatglow.com or www.cosmeticscop.com. The former offers discounts and free shipping with two or more purchases, but the latter has a better return policy.

It's not advertised as a toner, but you can treat it like one. It contains some of the same ingredients well-formulated toners contain, including anti-irritants and antioxidants.