Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matthew889

I'll be 49 next year - anyone else getting more scars, too?

I'll be 49 next year and I keep getting more cystic acne scars.

Accutane didn't work, Retin-A was a joke, and everything else didn't stop acne's never ending cycle. So I'll be 49 next year and wanted to know if anyone else was getting more scars over time.

I have severe acne scars and haven't been able to afford scar treatment. But derms have commented on how severe it looks.

I figure that I'll have scarring well into my 90's and I'll be wrinkled and scarred like Freddy Krueger or something. In fact, I don't look too different from him now. :evil:

yeahi saw this woman that had really bad scarring maybe that's why she visited my derm I dunno. But for me I still have cystic acne a few at least a week and i have bad scarring. I just wish there was a easier more inexpensive way to get all the scarring away but I can't and everytime I look in the mirror I hate it.

My boyfriend said that he didn't mind my scarring, but after finding out that he had been seeing another man who looked like a model, I could see that my scarring did matter.

I'm Italian and have darker skin, so I don't think dermabrasion is for me. My options are few.

Even bodybuilding and tanning doesn't do much to hide the acne. Otherwise, I would look like a very sexy man if it weren't for my scarring.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. Even if you have no acne (like me -at least not anymore) you *seem* to get more scars as you age becasue your skin gets laxer and "hangs" on scars that were'nt viewable before when your skin was tauter. They're not new - they just weren't visible before the skin began to age.

But if you still have acne, perhaps you meant you that you are getting fresh scars?

Leslie

Matthew - I also had sever cystic acne in my teens and 20s so the dr. gave me the highest safe dose possible of accutane and it knocked it out. Since then, I have been dealing with the scars. Could the dr. give you a higher dose of accutane to get rid of the cystic acne? I had a very severe case and it got rid of it. I also have darker complexion and the dermabrasion did remove some pigmentation. Perhaps subscision and fillers would help. Subscisons seem to be less expensive than some treatments and if you feel comfortable with fillers such as microdroplet silicone or some of the non-permanent, some of them are less expensive also. My rounds of silicone have been about $500 each on the average and two rounds of subscisions cost around $2,500. On severe scar patients such as myself, my main problem was tissue loss so dermabrasion did produce some results but it was limited. My only other alternatives were to subscise the scars then fill them to replace the lost tissue.

I would steer clear of laser or dermabrasion since it could affect your pigmentation and cause hypopigementation. Also, based on some of the comments on this board regarding fraxel, it is very pricey and does not give dramatic results.

Anyway, best of success to you.

Dan

Dan, please clear out your inbox!! I'm trying to PM you about your silicone injections!!! Pretty, please!

I encourage anyone who is still getting scars to consider the state of your health. Are you eating healthy and if you are- do you know for sure that you are absorbing the nutrients in your food? Plus todays foods even whole foods like fruits and veggies are lacking in nutrients due to the poor quality of our soils and from chemical fertilizers.

You may consider-

hydrochloric acid supplements

pancreatic enzyme supplements

vitamin and mineral supplements

food based supplements that are high in vits/minerals such as blackstrap mollases, kelp, rice bran, brewers yeast, bee pollen, aloe vera etc

Perhaps your fatty acids are out of balance (inbalances can cause poor wound healing and acne). You might try the various essential fatty acid such as primrose oil and fish oil. Perhaps you are creating fatty acid imbalances by consuming too much saturated fats or hydrogenated oils.

Your organs may be clogged from years of unhealthy food choices and are unable to process and use the nutrients you take in; you might consider liver flushing, colon cleansing, kidney cleansing etc. (YOu can find more info on curezone.com)

It is possible that internal parasites or bacteria is stealing your nutrients from you-in which case you might consider doing a parasite cleanse.

In any case your body should be healing from acne and in perfect health you should not have acne in the first place. Getting older does not mean that one automatically looses their ability to heal.

Oh god, how terrible!

Do you still have acne? Someone asked this and I'm wondering the same thing. Are you talking about new scarring from new acne or just loss of collagen scarring? Well, not "just," but if you do still have acne I hope you can find a way to control it.

Do you take omegas? I think they help with healing and acne, and they are very good for you either way, so you may want to try them.

I remember reading somewhere that after the age of 40 u start losing 1% of collagen every year so this could be why your noticing more scars.

Hi Matthew,

I'll be 45 in a few weeks, and yes, definitely as we age our scars look worse because of loss of collagen. One thing that has helped me has been Hydroquinone 2%. It seems to really make the scars look less noticable and makes me look much younger because it helps fade spots and brightens the skin. This is the same active ingredient that is in University Medicals Scar Fade kit that has been talked about alot on this board, but I just bought a cheap knock off brand at Walgreens.

I too have been on low-dose accutane, retin-a and numerous other potions. Right now I take a very low dose accutane and use the retin-a at night and the hydroquinone during the day. It's worked wonders. I know that the scars will never be gone, but I still haven't given up.

To the younger people on this board - always wear sunscreen - every day - or you will pay when you get older.