Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xiomara

Another alcohol related question

When do you guys think it's best time to have a drink after accutane?

I've been taking Accutane for 3 days now. In about a month my friend wants me to celebrate her bday, and get drunk. I told her I can't, lol. At least for five months, I can't drink any alcohol. I'm not a heavy drinker, just socially(once in a blue moon).

I was thinking maybe a weak drink, but I wouldn't want to risk it anyway. I can have fun sober.

This just left me wondering. Thoughts?

i ve been drinking. But I dont take accutane the days that I drink. If i know im gonna go out one night and drink, i wont take my tane that morning.

Some people jsut drink and take it too. Thats not my thing tho.

Gagan

been taking accutane for a month and a half , and i go out drinking like twice a week, although, i didnt want to drink for the first montth though, just kind of wanted the shit to start working, its kind of hard not to drinka nd get drunk while taking the med in the senior year of hs.

I'm on my 3rd day now and was also wondering about taking roaccutane and drinking, i was suprised that of all the warnings contained in the leaflet that alcohol was not mentioned once. I know accutane puts a lot of stress on your liver so getting drunk at the weekend wouldnt help it really.

I've a weekend away new month, do you's think that i'd be able to have about 5 or 6 bottles of beer a night ? Also would mixing half a pint of beer with lemonade(shandy) be a better option.

I'd usually have about 6 pints of beer on a saturday night then about 6 or 7 bottles, i think thats a bit much though :lol: At least accutane might save me money as the price of alcohol here is ridiculous.

You can drink a bit on the occassion, thats safe. Just dont binge drink.

Yeah, when I do drink I don't binge. I get a nice buzz with one or two drinks. lol.

Just the thought of putting it to risk scares me.

i ve been drinking. But I dont take accutane the days that I drink. If i know im gonna go out one night and drink, i wont take my tane that morning.

Gagan

So basically don't take it the night you're out and the day after?

I'm on my 3rd day now and was also wondering about taking roaccutane and drinking, i was suprised that of all the warnings contained in the leaflet that alcohol was not mentioned once. I know accutane puts a lot of stress on your liver so getting drunk at the weekend wouldnt help it really.

I've a weekend away new month, do you's think that i'd be able to have about 5 or 6 bottles of beer a night ? Also would mixing half a pint of beer with lemonade(shandy) be a better option.

I'd usually have about 6 pints of beer on a saturday night then about 6 or 7 bottles, i think thats a bit much though :lol: At least accutane might save me money as the price of alcohol here is ridiculous.

OMG, NO. That doesn't sound safe.

Gagan

I don't possibly see how this could benefit you. The accutane is still in your system, and still affecting your organs.

As for drinking...my derm said a couple glasses of wine a couple times a week would be okay...binge drink would not be.

You can get becks thats non alcoholic but it doesnt taste nice at all, west coast cooler has a low alcohol content, around 2% i think, i trying to find a low alcohol drink myself but its proving very difficult, i think i'll just have to dilute some beer :cry:

Please don't skip your dose of Accutane at any time. You must keep the levels of the drug as constant as possible in your system for it to be most effective. You're better to have two glasses of red wine (red has antioxidant benefits at the very least) with some food, and be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the evening. You'll be fine! Have a good evening, don't overdo it, and don't worry!

I can only speak from my own personal experience, but...

I'm in college, and I generally go out to bars with my friends on the weekends. I don't get so hammered that I end up passed out in a gutter or anything...but my friends and I can get a little bit crazy. "Drunk" would be pretty accurate.

I'm on Month 3 of Accutane and my bloodwork has been completely normal every time. I would be careful for the first month to make sure that the Accutane doesn't elevate your triglyceride levels...because you wouldn't want to make that worse by getting drunk with your friend.

I actually made a post inquiring about drinking on Accutane a few months ago and I got a lot of replies. The people who admitted to still drinking while on Accutane never encountered any problems.

Of course you shoud always be careful. I'm just giving my two cents.

Just use common sense really. Don't drink regularly with Accutane, one offs are ok though really. If you do drink, try and stick to lower alchohol drinks, and also try and have a glass of water with it. Try not to drink like a fish and you should be ok, just don't do it often.

Pretty much what everyone has said is accurate - except the post about skipping a dose the night you go out drinking - this is a waste of time. It seems like a good idea, but it really won't help you because of the metabolism of the drug.

Bottom line. You can drink, don't binge and don't make it a habit (which it sounds like you don't do anyway). Will anything happen to you? In all likehood no. Yes, both accutane and alcohol are processed by closely reated pathways but the risk is very low - again as long as it is not a habit. Go out, have some fun and a couple of drinks.

To those who drink regularly and take the drug, while I doubt I could say anything to change your mind - to the point of action - what I can say is that it can happen, I've seen it happen (although only once). I would usually err on the side of caution when it comes to my body. Drinking 3-4 times a week heavily is not really being cautious. It is probably not the best move. Will anything happen...usually no. Can it happen, yes...and the effects can be quite awful. Why risk it? Give up the juice for 5 months (or at least back off). Not to mention it can possibly screw up bloodwork/liver function tests.

Just use common sense really. Don't drink regularly with Accutane, one offs are ok though really. If you do drink, try and stick to lower alchohol drinks, and also try and have a glass of water with it. Try not to drink like a fish and you should be ok, just don't do it often.

Yeah, i'm not going to do it often. I didn't even drink much at all when I wasn't on Accutane. I drink once in a blue moon, like one night in every month or two. NOT every wknd.

I usually like Vodka or Bacardi. I don't like beer at all. Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Oh yeah, so what i'll do is the night i'll go drinking is i'll take my pill in the morning. Then the next day take it at night with dinner. There, that should work then.

So on Friday night I went out with my friends who I haven't seen in a while. I didn't want to drink but they were like, "c'mon, one drink." I was bored as hell at the place I was at(some go go dive joint! Hence why I was so bored that I needed one), so I decided to have a diet coke and bacardi. Told the bartender to make it light. Gosh, I was paranoid drinking it! I didn't enjoy it, left half of it. Got a buzz with half a drink!

Then Saturday night I had a small glass of dessert wine, and that got me buzzed too. It's like I don't need much to feel the buzz. I know how to control my alcohol limits, so that's not a problem.

What i'd like to know which alcoholic beverage has the least amount of alcohol in it. I'm searching online and light beer pops up. I don't drink beer at all. I hate the smell and taste of it. :sick: If anyone has info on it, i'd gladly appreciate it. Thanks!

So on Friday night I went out with my friends who I haven't seen in a while. I didn't want to drink but they were like, "c'mon, one drink." I was bored as hell at the place I was at(some go go dive joint! Hence why I was so bored that I needed one), so I decided to have a diet coke and bacardi. Told the bartender to make it light. Gosh, I was paranoid drinking it! I didn't enjoy it, left half of it. Got a buzz with half a drink!

Then Saturday night I had a small glass of dessert wine, and that got me buzzed too. It's like I don't need much to feel the buzz. I know how to control my alcohol limits, so that's not a problem.

What i'd like to know which alcoholic beverage has the least amount of alcohol in it. I'm searching online and light beer pops up. I don't drink beer at all. I hate the smell and taste of it. :sick: If anyone has info on it, i'd gladly appreciate it. Thanks!

Light beer is the lowest alc content as far as I know... You might like something like Corona Light? Some people who don't like beer still love Corona. I'm not sure though - for a low alcohol content and dislike of beer, I'd just suggest mixing some sort of drink, but using less alc than you usually would. I think you already tried that, though...? :think:

By the way, you're lucky that you get buzzed off half a drink :P It sucks to gain the tolerance

Please don't skip your dose of Accutane at any time. You must keep the levels of the drug as constant as possible in your system for it to be most effective.

Accutane works cumulatively and fluctations in the concentration really don't matter - it's not like an anitbiotic. You can miss a couple weeks, pick up where you left off, and it will still work so long as you get enough cumulatively. However, skipping a dose to drink won't help the liver either because it's still processing isotretinoin.

If your bloodwork is ok you can have a couple drinks. If your bloodwork is marginal or elevated you shouldn't risk even that.