Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ~Wolfy~

Can any one tell me anything about BLU-U light treatment, maybe personal experience or just something you heard?

Looking at their website it seems to be a blue light only treatment.

Most people are likely to do better with a full-face style home use blue/red treatment. I haven't checked the price of BLU-U, but home use equipment is likely to be cheaper too.

Also im not sure what it is but my Derm talked about before they use the laser they put something on my face (some cream i think) any info on that?

ive had eight treatments done of the blu u acne therapy. it didnt work for me. you just sit on a recliner with this device in front of your face, and its supposed to feel a little warm, i didnt feel much of anything though. i had it done without the "cream" your talking about, the name of that cream your talking about is levulan i think.

I had Levulan with blu-u treatment twice. I was told by the doc that 2-3 treatments would work great (I have whiteheads and cysts on my chin ONLY). I had my wedding in 2+ months and was looking for a quick fix. Plus, at 25, I have had basal cell carcinoma skin cancer on my forehead. Supposedly blu-u helps knock out precancerous cells.

The first treatment worked so great! They cover your face in acetone---stinky and terrribly drying. Next they paint your face with levulan. There is supposed to be a stick that they pop and than dab the liquid on with the stick. My nurse used a brush. I sat for an hour reading a magazine and itching away poking at my itchy spots with a nurse provided q-tip. While I was sitting in the room alone, I found a levulan brochure that said the manufacturing company recommends that the levulan be applied the DAY BEFORE. Hmmmm.

After the hour was up I sat with the blu-u light on my face for up to 15 min. I made it to 11 minutes until the heat/burning sensation became unbearable. Then they stop, cover your head with a towel and tell you to go home (someone has to drive you, your face is SO sensitive to light you must stay covered and behind a blackout curtain even in your own home for the next 48 hours.) $350 for the first treatment.

After the redness, peeling, hot feeling (use an evian water mister, it cools and helps since it is just water), I cleared and looked great for the next month. Even my skintone (I have freckles) improved. I glowed!

The treatments are monthly, so I took my clear great looking skin in for my second treatment. I shouldnt have. After the second treatment I broke out and looked like hell for the rest of the month and for my wedding day. I'm stupid, I know.... and another $350 out the window. So no, I have not gone back. Not to mention 48 hours is a life disruption when you have to hide behind a blackout curtain like a vampire.

Now my menu is...

AM Neutrogena oil free acne cleanser

Clindamycin (generic)

Purpose redness reducing moisturizer SPF 30

Tasty little Minocycline Pill

PM Purpose gentle face wash

Clindamycin

Retin A gel form

Minocycline

All I can say is that I have not had a huge cyst like before on this regimen. The cysts would be 3-4 at a time and painful. Still breaking out though.....