Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingpin343

peanut butter

is peanut butter acne-bad ? i know it has lots of good oils in, surely this is good news and i can eat as much as i like (on brown bread of course)

plz say it is!!! lol

Sadly, overabusing anything good will inevitably lead to some consequences. Eat your peanut butter in moderation (like everything else). Also, I should point out that MOST peanut butters aren't good for you (they contain a lot of hydrogenated oils). Try buying some Natural peanut butter instead.

My esthetican (who specializes in treating acne) gave me a list of foods to avoid - and peanut products were on it. I guess peanuts are a high androgen food, which can contribute to acne flares. Also - the salt in peanut butter can be problematic, as it is high in iodine, which also can cause acne flares. I replaced peanut butter with Almond or cashew butter. Not quite as good, but I got used to it!

Peanut butter is a risky food as many people break out from it, but I am VERY acne prone and I can eat peanut butter at every meal and get no break outs. It is a highly individual thing. If you find that it doesn't cause acne, then it is actually a very healthful food. Don't avoid it unless you have to.

This is a fun board, but I am amazed the rampant errors I find here (including that esthetician :rolleyes: ). Wonder why she's picking a peoples' zits for a living :lol: .

Peanuts may cause acne, but the cause is probably related to allergy more than anything else. Peanuts actually contain resveratrol which is an androgen antagonist. It also raises estrogen in certain situations.

In addition, legumes, including peanuts, are a rich source of beta-sitosterol, one of the estrogen-like plant compounds called phytosterols.

The body builders like to tell their clients to eat peanuts because this supposedly raises testosterone. LOL, these fallacies just keep circulating.