Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robson

Panoxyl, Cleanser, Moisturiser etc

Been on Panoxyl 2.5% for just over a month now. There has been a slight improvement (had no new spots under my nose area) but still got them badly on the sides on my chin. Haven't had many new ones form in new places (like I often used to) and haven't really had any big red ones.

The BP has been drying my skin a lot, maybe not so bad lately (been using moisturiser). Anyhow, went back to the doctors for monthly checkup and he prescribed me Aknemycin plus (erythromycin). I've only used it once, as I done some research on the net and heard that although it worked in some people, they usually became immune to using it or their acne came back after using it. This has put me right off using it so I'm tempted to stick back with my 2.5% Panoxyl.

While using this I've only been using normal hand soap before applying it. I've noticed and been thinking about trying Neutrogena Visibly Clear Gentle Exfoliating Wash as my cleanser before I apply this and then using Eucerin 5% UREA moisturiser (the one I've been currently using) or Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser after applying the BP if my skin goes pretty dry. Haven't tried using any cleanser or exfoliator so don't know how this will work/if it will make things any better.

Anyone got any comments/advice/reccomendations about this idea?

Any replies much appreciated.

Alot of your dryness may be due to your washing with hand soap. If you can, find a gentle unmedicated cleanser. No hand soap and no exfoliating wash. BP is drying enough, you really want your cleanser to be as gentle as possible so you don't overly irritate your skin.

Your choice of moisturizer is good, many many people use it successfully with the CSR, and since Panoxyl is known to be drying, I think you definitely need to stick with that moisturizer. But do consider a more gentle cleanser to use.

Hope this helps!