Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starrybabe21

Best BCP...

Ive decided to get the courage together (ano its sounds stoooopid but im highly embarrassed and shy) to go to the doctor and get BCP's sorted out. I have many of the symptoms for PCOS (apart from being overweight, but thin pcos sufferers are also common). I blame them darn excess androgens :evil:

I have NO experience watsoever and no clue deciding what pill to go on, and am a bit worried to leave it to the doctor in case they push something that will make acne worse :rolleyes:

If possible and not too much trouble could you please....

1 Recommend a brand.....

2 Rate /10 how well it went for you.....

3 Side effects you experience/d.....(whether good or bad)

4 Whether it cleared your acne/made it worse....

5 How long you were on it for/How long for results...

6 Whether its suitable for longterm use or you have to come off it, or when you switched pills did you experience a worsening of your acne?

7 ...and finally...if you stopped it did acne come back??

Tanks sooo much guys :wub: xxxxxx

Sorry if in wrong forum :confused:

Hi Starry,

I'll try to give you some input.

1. Diane-35 (it's called that in Canada, the name might be a variation of that in the U.S.)

2. Rating: 7/10

3. Headaches for the first few days when I first started. No other side effects. This BCP may have a higher incidence of stroke than other kinds though. Check with your doctor. Shorter and lighter periods (3-4 days)

4. It made the oil decrease by a lot. Acne got better, sometimes to the point where I was happy with the state of my skin, so after being on it for about 2 years, I decided that I would try to go without and it all came back full force in about 2-3 weeks. Oil production came back too, worse than I ever remember it being. So I went back on. Same results as first time, maybe a little worse though.

5. See #4 for how long I was on it. It took about 3 months to see results (I can't really remember exactly though to be honest).

6. Never switched pills, but you can see #4 for what happend when I went off.

7. See #4

Side note: I am now on Accutane, so I guess you can say Diane didn't help as much as I wanted it to. Nevertheless I think the past couple of years would have been much worse without it.

I've been on ortho tri-cyclin since 2000. It's the most popular type of birth control and widely used to help with acne. I experienced zero, yes, zero side effects, however, the generic forms of ortho tri cyclin made me nauseous. They swear that the generic forms of birth control are EXACTLY the same, but that claim in false. IF you look at the ingredients you will notice many differences.

I use the pill number one for birth control and secondly for acne. I figured if they made one that helped then why not. I do use ProActive as well. I have never been off this pill, just tried to switch for the original to the generic.

Remember that whatever you try needs time like all medications or products to adjust in your body. Don't get fed up after a week. You will need to try any BCP out for at least a few cycles.

Good luck and PM me if you have further questions. I'm not a Dr., but I have personal experience.

P.S. I noticed that in the morning you only wash with water and you use a few products in the evening. I would try changing this regimen first before taking any medication solely for acne. There are many benzyl peroxide products out there that help tremendously with mild to moderate acne. Try that first!

Hi Starry,

I'll try to give you some input.

1. Diane-35 (it's called that in Canada, the name might be a variation of that in the U.S.)

2. Rating: 7/10

3. Headaches for the first few days when I first started. No other side effects. This BCP may have a higher incidence of stroke than other kinds though. Check with your doctor. Shorter and lighter periods (3-4 days)

4. It made the oil decrease by a lot. Acne got better, sometimes to the point where I was happy with the state of my skin, so after being on it for about 2 years, I decided that I would try to go without and it all came back full force in about 2-3 weeks. Oil production came back too, worse than I ever remember it being. So I went back on. Same results as first time, maybe a little worse though.

5. See #4 for how long I was on it. It took about 3 months to see results (I can't really remember exactly though to be honest).

6. Never switched pills, but you can see #4 for what happend when I went off.

7. See #4

Side note: I am now on Accutane, so I guess you can say Diane didn't help as much as I wanted it to. Nevertheless I think the past couple of years would have been much worse without it.

Hi,

Firstly tanx soo much for the thourough review uve no idea how much ur helping me ;)

I was thinking of Diane-35, have heard its quite strong and can coz some major problems but is EXCELLENT for acne - well more so i read it on google.

Ill take all you said into considration, tanx ever so much! and update on what happens at the doc on monday.

My biggest fear is having to stay on one pill that has loads of problems, a lot of doctors take people off diane-35 apparently coz its soooo strong on the liver :confused: and this is where the problems starts when swapped to lower dosage pills,

once again tanx for the info

take care xx

I've been on ortho tri-cyclin since 2000. It's the most popular type of birth control and widely used to help with acne. I experienced zero, yes, zero side effects, however, the generic forms of ortho tri cyclin made me nauseous. They swear that the generic forms of birth control are EXACTLY the same, but that claim in false. IF you look at the ingredients you will notice many differences.

I use the pill number one for birth control and secondly for acne. I figured if they made one that helped then why not. I do use ProActive as well. I have never been off this pill, just tried to switch for the original to the generic.

Remember that whatever you try needs time like all medications or products to adjust in your body. Don't get fed up after a week. You will need to try any BCP out for at least a few cycles.

Good luck and PM me if you have further questions. I'm not a Dr., but I have personal experience.

P.S. I noticed that in the morning you only wash with water and you use a few products in the evening. I would try changing this regimen first before taking any medication solely for acne. There are many benzyl peroxide products out there that help tremendously with mild to moderate acne. Try that first!

Im sooo glad you exerienced zero side effects :D I mainly want to use it to clear acne, but also to regulate my periods - such a pain this guesswork ...PCOS just keeps goin round and round in my head :wacko:

Ive no problem with time...i mean ive suffered long enuf why not prolong it lol so ill give it time to work of course...tanks for the tip..means then if i decide on this one ill no to give it that extra bit of time to work ;)

Yep i try just to wash my face with water in morning or as much as possible. Ive had acne like 3 years now and i tried benzoyl peroxide like 2 years ago and vowed never to touch it again! It was soooo damn sore no matter how little i used.

As well as BCP im going to look into regulating hormones thru acupuncture and other natural methods as possible....i know for sure its hormones, and sugar seems to make them go haywire so i stay away as much as possible...ive other symptoms that tell me its an androgen excess, so im hoping to tackle that problem.

Thank you for all the info :)

I want to find out as much as i can before i go the doc....ive heard of BCP causing loads of problems so hopefully educating myself as much as i can everyone experience will help me make my decision.

Thank you :wub:

Any other comments id love to hear!!! x

Hello

1Recommend a brand.....DIane 35

2 Rate /10 how well it went for you.....10

3 Side effects you experience/d..... just some nausea. nothing else

4 Whether it cleared your acne/made it worse....never had a zit except one small whitehead once a month around "that time"

5 How long you were on it for/How long for results... 4 years

6 Whether its suitable for longterm use or you have to come off it, or when you switched pills did you experience a worsening of your acne?

I went off of it b/c i was just scared of the blod clot side effects, and i just wanted to go back to my normal cycle.

I stopped and my acne came back gradually over a period of two years until here I am taking accutane once more.

I was also on alesse for 5 months before I started accutane and up until last month. DID SHIT ALL FOR ME. PROBABLY MADE MY ACNE WORSE.

GAGAN

1 Recommend a brand.....Yasmin

2 Rate /10 how well it went for you.....10/10- my face is almost completely clear and my back and chest are flawless (well, in terms of acne)

3 Side effects you experience/d.....(whether good or bad): I gained a cup size

4 Whether it cleared your acne/made it worse....It made a huge difference!

5 How long you were on it for/How long for results...It's been about three years, and it took three months to start noticing effects and about six for them to be drastic. It takes a little bit of patience.

n/a

n/a

2 Rate /10 how well it went for you.....10/10- my face is almost completely clear and my back and chest are flawless (well, in terms of acne)

5 How long you were on it for/How long for results...It's been about three years, and it took three months to start noticing effects and about six for them to be drastic. It takes a little bit of patience.

n/a

n/a

Hey thanks SOOO much for the info

Im going to ask about Yasmin on monday!!!! :dance:

Since then ive been eating low GI foods to maintain stable sugar levels as im pretty sure i have PCOS. Ive heard Yasmin does very well for PCOS so am defo going to ask about it.

Thank you agen ;) x wish u all the best !

n/a

n/a

Hey thanks SOOO much for the info

Im going to ask about Yasmin on monday!!!! :dance:

Since then ive been eating low GI foods to maintain stable sugar levels as im pretty sure i have PCOS. Ive heard Yasmin does very well for PCOS so am defo going to ask about it.

Thank you agen ;) x wish u all the best !

My experience is almost the exact same as Schango's above. Yasmin has been great for me. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for three years. My acne started to get pretty bad so I called my gyno and they suggested that I switch to another birth control and see what happens. So-I've been on Yasmin now for about 2 and half months. I know you're really not supposed to see results until the third month, but I can already tell that it's made a huge difference. During that time(around month 1 or Yasmin) I went to the Endocrinologist to get my hormones tested and the results came back and I was right---I had PCOS. I am not overweight and I dont have most of the symptoms that are normally involved. But my doctor precribed me a medicine called Metformin that lowers insulin levels and regulates hormones. Ive only been taking it for about a month now but I can see results. I am trying to be patient because I know that it takes 3-5 months to see the full results!

Sorry this post is so long-but I wanted to tell you that I think Yasmin is the best birth control for acne and also if you think you might have PCOS-then I would definitely look into it. Because with what Ive read-usually Yasmin alone will not help with the symptoms of PCOS..

If you have any questions-you can message me! Good Luck and keep us updated!

My experience is almost the exact same as Schango's above. Yasmin has been great for me. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for three years. My acne started to get pretty bad so I called my gyno and they suggested that I switch to another birth control and see what happens. So-I've been on Yasmin now for about 2 and half months. I know you're really not supposed to see results until the third month, but I can already tell that it's made a huge difference. During that time(around month 1 or Yasmin) I went to the Endocrinologist to get my hormones tested and the results came back and I was right---I had PCOS. I am not overweight and I dont have most of the symptoms that are normally involved. But my doctor precribed me a medicine called Metformin that lowers insulin levels and regulates hormones. Ive only been taking it for about a month now but I can see results. I am trying to be patient because I know that it takes 3-5 months to see the full results!

Sorry this post is so long-but I wanted to tell you that I think Yasmin is the best birth control for acne and also if you think you might have PCOS-then I would definitely look into it. Because with what Ive read-usually Yasmin alone will not help with the symptoms of PCOS..

If you have any questions-you can message me! Good Luck and keep us updated!

Ok....so i went doc dis morn :D

Discussed PCOS and other "relevant" questions aka....was i sha*gin anyone :shifty: nice! :lol:

Anyway...

Im on Yasmin, got a 3 month prescription but only got 1 month supply..coz the damn chemist!! :evil:

Wud u believe it like..the doc wrote "3 months" on the prescription...but coz "she wrote in on a one month prescription form and not the proper one" i have to go back..."but a one month check up will do no harm anyway ;) " ARGH! lol

Anyway hope it helps :) Tanks guys for all the recommendations will update my progress :D

I'm glad you finally got it! Good luck with your results and don't be discouraged if it's not instantaneous. Let us know how it's going. :D