Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apple_Blossem

55% of uncooked Chicken contains detectable Arsenic

Thought this was interesting:

By Dulcie Ward, R.D., and Susan Levin, M.S., R.D.

Chemical Contaminants

Arsenic Found in Chicken

Chicken often contains dangerous amounts of arsenic, according to a new report. Researchers from the Institute of Agriculture and Trade Policy tested for arsenic in 151 samples of raw chicken from supermarkets and 90 samples of cooked chicken from 10 different well-known fast-food restaurants. Arsenic is a known carcinogen and is linked to neurological, cardiovascular, and immune problems. It is commonly added to chicken feed to improve feed efficiency, improve pigmentation, promote faster weight gain, or prevent intestinal infection caused by parasites.

The study found that 55 percent of uncooked chicken products contained detectable arsenic, and 100 percent of the fast-food brands had detectable levels of the toxic element. The arsenic content varied, although many samples were well above the Environmental Protection Agency’s 10 parts per billion standard allowable in public drinking water.

Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy. Playing Chicken: Avoiding Arsenic in Your Meat. Minneapolis, Minnesota: Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy 2006.

Link: http://www.pcrm.org/magazine/gm06summer/latest_in.html

I had also been hearing about the carcinogenics found in Chicken for months now, but just found this article on accident.

It's from one of the medicines they give chickens, maybe a byproduct in the antibiotics? Anyways I was researching this when I researched chicken liver - if you buy organic, you're fine.

I guess that's the great thing about haveing relative a few hours away that live on farms. I get orgamic beef, chickens, etc... for free all the time(Oh ya the eggs are amazing, the yolk is such a deep yellow).

Apple cores and seeds also contain arsenic. It just seems appropriate to this thread that I added that.

Actually, the seeds contain hydrogen cyanide. Close though. This is an apple's natural biological message telling animals not to eat the seeds so they can be spread to make more apple trees.

In(non?)organic chicken liver will most likely have arsenic in it because of I believe one of the medications the chickens are given. It may have other contaminants as well from the less then stellar living conditions. Liver is not something you want to fuck around with - get organic or don't eat it at all. Plain and simple.

I'm pretty happy with the results of my dairy-free and meat free diet. I do sometimes eat a little milk in soups when out at restaurants.... but have avoided all meat and most cheeses, etc.

I cant believe how fast the swelling in all my joints went down -- something that has never happened before. I have suffered from knees that get swollen every two months -- if they are only bumped. Also, I was feeling 'old' -- getting sore joints and feeling lousy.

I really feel rejuvenated on this new diet. I would not go back on the old diet for anything.

I find that in restaurants, they rarely cook the meat enough. No wonder people get sick.